Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I wasn't the only one who commented on the seeming lack of Gardai in general around yesterday. Especially after the match ended and people were leaving the stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    A similar mindset, and lack of awareness and insight, seems to be endemic in the City Council, Garda Siochana, GAA etc.

Theres nothing wrong with assuming people can complete simple tasks. Or at least there shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Not sure why everyone seems so surprised that the regular chaos happened yesterday, it happens whenever there is a big event there (and happens at a more local level when there are smaller events).
    It comes down to three organizations/institutions not doing their jobs:

Pearse stadium management for not organising the traffic management plans that they are obliged to create as part of the planning conditions for the stadium (real plans now, not the forged document they produced in the past).
    Galway City Council for granting planning and then not enforcing the conditions of that planning leading to the traffic chaos.
    Garda Siochana for not enforcing traffic regulations.

Until these three institutions take responsibility you can expect a similar outcome at the next big event in the stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Being honest, no it doesn't.

:eek:

But congratulations. I didn't think it was possible for my opinion of GAA fans to fall any further. You've just proven to me that it could.

GAA fans are the salt of the earth, but scratch our cars and we become cobras. Once provoked, we will strike.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Theres nothing wrong with assuming people can complete simple tasks. Or at least there shouldn't be.

Simple tasks like reading, and complying with, the Rules of the Road?

• Advertisement

c_man wrote: »
    I wasn't the only one who commented on the seeming lack of Gardai in general around yesterday. Especially after the match ended and people were leaving the stadium

There were comments on GBFM this morning about Gardai standing around chatting in the midst of the après match traffic chaos. I've seen instances of such indifference and inaction at other events.

During the match AGS were very visible, and apparently numerous, inside the stadium.

How many can you count in this pic?

352115.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I see 4!

Simple tasks like reading, and complying with, the Rules of the Road?

Simpler tasks, really just a skill that should be learned before reading - that of walking. I mean just walking around a minor obstacle like a young child would learn how to. A young child will learn not to run at a wall but rather through an open door. I wouldnt have thought this an overly advanced skill and thought it to be even simpler than reading. Clearly walking and navigation is a much harder task than I initially thought it was. I do honestly find it mind boggling how adults seemingly cannot keep the same skills and instead of going around an obstacle as a child would, instead just get the overwhelming urge to be a vandal.

Nope. Try again.

Simpler tasks, really just a skill that should be learned before reading - that of walking. .

Simpler tasks, like parking in accordance with the RoTR and walking to the stadium?

If people have mastered the skill of driving (whatever about parking) wouldn't you say they've learned to walk first?

Unless they're disabled, of course, in which case they can wheel themselves to the stadium. Oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

2 in the far left, 1 in the far right, and the two in the foreground.

What do I win? :P

Nuttin. You haven't spotted them all yet.

I see more, but maybe other posters have better eyesight than me and can spot another one or two.

The next question is, what are the salaried members actually doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I can spot seven, five in the high vis and two in just the shirt. Is there more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

7 in uniform anyway.

As to what they are doing? Watching the match, d'oh!

Seven it is, by my reckoning. Your prize is in the post.

So what are they doing? Crowd control? Spotting potential trouble-makers? Looking for illegal parkers?

snubbleste wrote: »
    As to what they are doing? Watching the match, d'oh!

That's what it looks like, doesn't it? Do you think it's likely they were being paid overtime, it being a Sunday? Or is that not the way AGS rostering works?

By way of contrast, there were anecdotal reports on GBFM today of parents being asked to pay a €5 entrance fee for infants in prams, because "everyone in the stadium had to be accounted for".

352116.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Afaik Sunday is effectively double pay
    http://www.gra.cc/weekends__nights_public_holidays.shtml

snubbleste wrote: »
    Afaik Sunday is effectively double pay
    http://www.gra.cc/weekends__nights_public_holidays.shtml

Nice one.

How many Sunday-rostered members in this pic?

352117.jpg

Seven it is, by my reckoning. Your prize is in the post.

So what are they doing?

All sporting events around the world have a large Garda presence particularly in stadiums. I've been to many matches in many different sports in different countries and all have lots of police, much more than you would see in pearse stadium yesterday in a lot of cases. The event wouldn't be allowed to go ahead without a good Garda presence.

Also I will say it again, we had no really traffic holds ups in coming in from the country at 1:30 pm yesterday and had no problem legally parking less than 10 mins walk from the ground. Also had a very acceptable level of hold up getting home and saw Gardai directing traffic at the junction near aldi in west side which helped traffic flow much better which was turning right and heading over the QCB. People just need to be smarter about the routes they take back to the Salthill area.

Also on top of everything, this is by far the biggest game that will be played in the stadium until we play Mayo again at home in 2017. Is it really that big a deal for people to put up with one day of disruption for a very big and important sporting event, you would swear it was happening weekly the way some people go on.

Did you not hear about the match-related gridlock, and the Park & Ride fiasco?

What do you suppose the Traffic Corps was doing inside the stadium?

352119.jpg

Is it really that big a deal for people to put up with one day of disruption for a very big and important sporting event, you would swear it was happening weekly the way some people go on.

Is it really that big a deal to expect people, just once or twice a year, to park legally in an appropriate location and walk to the stadium for a very big and important sporting event?

No apology for the après match chaos? That's someone else's responsibility, perhaps. But whose?
    The GAA has apologised for the chaos that arose yesterday as football supporters tried to get to Pearse Stadium in Salthill for the Galway-Mayo clash.

The GAA had said 600 car parking spaces were available from Carnmore Airport as part of the service with buses operating to the Salthill venue from noon at regular intervals.

Matchgoer Tomás O’Neachtain says many people arrived at Carnmore at 2.30pm and missed the first half of the match.

He claimed that only four buses appeared to be operating following the match and many failed to adhere to a queuing system, resulting in a ‘free-for-all’.

Tomás says returning from Croke Park would have been quicker.
    Galway GAA County Chairman, Noel Treacy has told NewsBreak that a number of factors contributed to yesterday’s problems.

http://connachttribune.ie/gaa-apologises-for-traffic-chaos-surrounding-galway-mayo-match/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Did you not hear about the match-related gridlock, and the Park & Ride fiasco?

What do you suppose the Traffic Corps was doing inside the stadium?

Free Donuts Supermacs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I do honestly find it mind boggling how adults seemingly cannot keep the same skills and instead of going around an obstacle as a child would, instead just get the overwhelming urge to be a vandal.
    And why should they have to walk on roads because drivers choose to park illegally? Or are they just too thick to park properly, a bit like their pedestrian counterparts who can't walk properly?
    I'd love to see some Polish crowd put in charge of clamping across the city... the cops and GAA don't give a **** what laws they break.

There was serious clamping about 3 km from the stadium. It seems a few Galway supporters thought it would be handy to park on private property, despite the prominent warning signs. Their trip to the match gifted them a losing team, a €100 release fee and a 2-hour traffic jam on their way home (depending on direction of travel).

The difference between private clampers and AGS/Council "enforcers" is that the clampers are motivated, and presumably answerable to their line manager/employer.

The supporters who were clamped had to pay a price for their mistake. The illegal parkers around the stadium paid no price, other than the traffic congestion of their own making. The Council and AGS will not pay for their mistakes, because they are accountable to nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All sporting events around the world have a large Garda presence particularly in stadiums. I've been to many matches in many different sports in different countries and all have lots of police, much more than you would see in pearse stadium yesterday in a lot of cases. The event wouldn't be allowed to go ahead without a good Garda presence.

Everywhere else in the world, the cops are standing with their backs to the field, watching the crowd.

Don't see much of that behaviour here.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

85DD77EA2C024FC88DDB88596869FAD3-0000346192-0003769948-00640L-EA229856044848B5BD4BCADFBFF63029.jpg

2D9B858C30B84259BA388DAE31EE2962-0000346192-0003769949-00640L-37BB18B065204F24B5C76E4A7927199D.jpg

308D412FEF9F42AB8544B807718EE3A1-0000346192-0003769950-00640L-79D0EA7A4D1F4B7087014C9F7048B264.jpg

6F7EB50A45F34448A289A235D868083F-0000346192-0003769951-00640L-76CF06CFC9F94C51B66025495F0E6200.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Some of those pictures... I've got a personal interest here but feck me, drivers blocking paths and forcing people onto the road is pure scumbag behaviour. Obviously they have no disabled family members nor give a fuk about such people.

I was at the match, am a pretty big Galway supporter (for my sins :P ) and hate that dickheads like those give the rest of fans a bad name. Don't tar us all with the same brush, I'd have no problems with a proper clamp down on this behaviour.

There was serious clamping about 3 km from the stadium. It seems a few Galway supporters thought it would be handy to park on private property, despite the prominent warning signs. Their trip to the match gifted them a losing team, a €100 release fee and a 2-hour traffic jam on their way home (depending on direction of travel).

The difference between private clampers and AGS/Council "enforcers" is that the clampers are motivated, and presumably answerable to their line manager/employer.

The main difference is private clampers are basically Cowboys with no actual right to clamp your car and if you remove the clamp there isn't a singe thing they can do. They certainly won't risk bringing your to court incase their racket is stopped.
    Everywhere else in the world, the cops are standing with their backs to the field, watching the crowd.

Don't see much of that behaviour here.

You are of course wrong. Certain stewards at matches tend to have their backs to the game but police normally face the game from my experience.

"Cowboys"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The main difference is private clampers are basically Cowboys with no actual right to clamp your car and if you remove the clamp there isn't a singe thing they can do.
    Whereas Gardaí are basically cowboys with every actual right to clamp your car. Only they're too busy watching the match and sucking up to the GAA to bother their hole.

• Advertisement

buzz11 wrote: »
    85DD77EA2C024FC88DDB88596869FAD3-0000346192-0003769948-00640L-EA229856044848B5BD4BCADFBFF63029.jpg

2D9B858C30B84259BA388DAE31EE2962-0000346192-0003769949-00640L-37BB18B065204F24B5C76E4A7927199D.jpg

308D412FEF9F42AB8544B807718EE3A1-0000346192-0003769950-00640L-79D0EA7A4D1F4B7087014C9F7048B264.jpg

6F7EB50A45F34448A289A235D868083F-0000346192-0003769951-00640L-76CF06CFC9F94C51B66025495F0E6200.jpg

If only there was some way around these......I cant figure how though like theres no walking space at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement