Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussie dollar falling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Can't believe people think the US will increase its interest rates....The game is over for them.

The average interest payment on US debt is 2.4% on the debt of about $17 trillion which is about $222 billion.

This is low due to zero percent interest rates...what do you think will happen if the interest rate goes to 1% or even 2%?

Their economy is not growing....the debt is only expanding(ponzi scheme) and if the interest rates increase it's all up.

Interest rates were around 20% in 1980 btw.

So, take all that into account and lose the propaganda from the US and Europe(which is also in bad shape)...Australia is doing fine...Once they get through the next few years with the Liberals fixing the economy and as long as the rest of the world doesn't pull Oz into recession, the AUD should go higher.....It has been going higher today and is approaching 69.5 against the euro....

I expect Europe to print money before end of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

So Sincity, no more rate cuts from the RBA?

I' not sure. I believe western central bankers collude with each other to protect the US dollar.

Australia does not want to drive a housing bubble so I would say it will stay at 2.5%

I'd love to see an increase like in NZ where it has moved to 3.5%

Regardless, Europe will print money in the future which will weaken the currency there.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Got over 70 on currency fair last night.

Draghi more or less said he will be printing money at central bankers conference.

It should go higher in the next few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Transferred a good sum last night with it going up to 70 with currency fair. Hopefully it will keep rising!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EskimoJack

71c now and rising

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Should have gone to Specsavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

EU inflation figures out tomorrow......have a bit sitting in currencyfair as wanted to send home when it is above 0.70

Do I wait until tomorrow and take the risk? anyone have a crystal ball by any chance???

Legend100 wrote: »
    EU inflation figures out tomorrow......have a bit sitting in currencyfair as wanted to send home when it is above 0.70

Do I wait until tomorrow and take the risk? anyone have a crystal ball by any chance???

I could be wrong but I'd say wait...The inflation will be lower than the bankers want(not the people who don't want it) and then Draghi will hint about money printing.

Hopefully we're on the way to 75 cents

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yes, I think .75 would be the mark people would be waiting for if they have time to wait. It may be another 6-12 months. Of course it also depends how much the expected QE has the market priced in. Good news for stocks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I think someone should change the title of this thread..

aido79 wrote: »
    I think someone should change the title of this thread..
    Compared to a couple of years ago it's still a lot lower.
    Then again ore was selling above $140 whereas now it's dropped below $90.
    While ECB may print the A$ may alternatively be weakened by reduced Chinese demand.
    It's often forgotten how exposed and dependent australia has become to Chinese demand yet that's exactly what has made it a hard currency recently. Would it have rebounded from its 08 nadir as easily without China?

graph-0613-1-03.gif

I'm hopeful it will go higher as I'll be cashing out soon but won't be surprised if there's a general Australia selloff soon. The four big banks economists coming out together to say there's no housing bubble has put us past the official denial stage.

It's not about the Australian dollar...its about the Euro's weakness..IF anyone's looks at my posts I have been pretty on the mark over the past 6 months on this thread...and yes, we should change the title.

sin_city wrote: »
    It's not about the Australian dollar...its about the Euro's weakness..IF anyone's looks at my posts I have been pretty on the mark over the past 6 months on this thread...and yes, we should change the title.
    Fair enough but do you see it regain the highs of two years ago?

I don't know, it pretty hard to say 70 cents was a barrier that it could not break for a while.

Everything depends on Europe and Europe in general is a mess.

They'll print money while here the Liberals are cutting back and being responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

The Liberals just might be able to keep a lid on it if they get public expenditure under control and manage to address the deficits.
    As for the property bubble, it is a very real situation. People are being absolutely bonkers about property values. Luckily enough the worm is turning relatively slowly. The bite is obvious in places like Mackay, that had a huge surge, and now the prices have stabilised, but nothing is selling. Plenty of speculative places up for sale, but its dead in the ar$e now the construction phase of Caval Ridge is done.
    Gladstone will be the next to go wallop once the LNG construction phases start to wind down.
    The lucky thing is that it is demand based, but anyone that can't offset 12 months of mortage payments from the get go is hopping straight into murky waters IMO.
    I've got a first home saver running, but it could end up being dumped into Super yet, unless prices slip, or don't rise for 12 months.

As for State Capital city prices, Absolute madness. 550k for 2 bed apartments 6k from CBD in BNE. nuts.
    I'd rather pay half that and commute, less of a fall even if it does go sideways.

The currency could be the saving grace, as they have total control of interest and supply.

The currency could be the saving grace, as they have total control of interest and supply.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

RBA

• Advertisement

As I said, Draghi would cut rates...he did and now the dollar is rising towards 72 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes!

72.26 and climbing :D

Touching about 72.5 now..

To put the latest moves into perspective, every $10,000 you would have converted from AUD to EUR would have netted you about an extra 700 euro, compared to the XE rate now and that 1st of Jan.

If people want to hold this rate but may not be leaving OZ for another 12 months then I would suggest a forward contract i.e lock in the rate today to use later on (minus a margin of course!)

Any good money transfer companies will give you this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

I'm looking to move some money from Euro to $, unfortunately! Can anyone give me some advice on whether to cut my losses and transfer now, or do you think the current trend will reverse or stop anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

baldshin wrote: »
    I'm looking to move some money from Euro to $, unfortunately! Can anyone give me some advice on whether to cut my losses and transfer now, or do you think the current trend will reverse or stop anytime soon?

Just a thought

euro+toilet+paper.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Carlosd

Doubt you'll get a forward unless the amount you book is significant and you pay a deposit of approx 10%

Yea, deposit of 10% is standard and yes, it would be a 5 figure sum. Handy for those thinking of heading back and bringing back their savings with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Has dropped down a point...any indication as to why this is?

Profit taking? Sell the rumor buy the news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Tanking pretty badly :/

Advertisement