Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussie dollar falling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Hoboo wrote: »
    The whole oz economy is gonna go in the next 18 months, shortly after the Canadian. All propped up on the derivitives market and inflated housing market....mark my words.

I have your words marked, now what do i do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

ifeelill wrote: »
    I have your words marked, now what do i do ?

Buy some physical gold or silver.

Go to a distributor of the Perth Mint.....or......wait and stand in solidarity with the people that lost a lot of their money in Cypriot banks :D

sin_city wrote: »

Go to a distributor of the Perth Mint.....or......wait and stand in solidarity with the people that lost a lot of their money in Cypriot banks :D

Hey hey hey now, a lot of people lost money in the Irish banks as well, they just weren't bond holders :pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The devil's metals. You have to be seriously on the ball or a serious idiot if you are going to buy a physical metal you know nothing about of a whim on the internet. There are plenty of other hedges out there than silver or gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Seems to be fluctuating between .68 and .69 over the last week. Will be interesting to see if it pushes back over .70

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    The devil's metals. You have to be seriously on the ball or a serious idiot if you are going to buy a physical metal you know nothing about of a whim on the internet. There are plenty of other hedges out there than silver or gold.

Really? What else is outside the system, if the system collapses?

Are you talking about works or art or other items which store value?

Why would you be an idiot?

Silver is half the price it was in 1980.

When you say "you know nothing about"...do you mean that YOU, know nothing about it.

If you study economic history you would see that gold and especially silver are great investments.

So....what are the other investments that are outside the system?

I mean, sure I'd buy a cheap property if I had that type of cash but I doubt anyone here is throwing around money like that.

By the way Silver went up 20% this month and 14% last week.

If you bought the shares in the largest silver mining company CCU(which I did) last week you'd have made more than a 50% profit.

If you bought them last month....90% profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

The guardian are taking a leaf out of hooboo's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Really? What else is outside the system, if the system collapses?
    When was the last time you personally remember the 'system' collapsing? It hasn't done so while I have been on the planet or during the time my father was either.
    Why would you be an idiot? Silver is half the price it was in 1980. If you study economic history you would see that gold and especially silver are great investments.
    If silver is half the price it was in 1980, that means anyone who bought it then has lost their shirt, if you factor in inflation, Not my idea of a great investment.

cnocbui wrote: »
    When was the last time you personally remember the 'system' collapsing? It hasn't done so while I have been on the planet or during the time my father was either. If silver is half the price it was in 1980, that means anyone who bought it then has lost their shirt, if you factor in inflation, Not my idea of a great investment.

System collapsing? Well, there's been hyper inflation in Zimbabwe and Argentina very recently. Germany before World War 2 (this is why they are not as keen on money printing as in the US and why we have austerity in Europe) and even Spain when they used silver as their currency. Further back it has happened all the time. The difference this time is that every country will be affected because it has not happened the reserve currency of the world before.

Silver was also $50 last year. If you don't think it is a good investment at $20, when is it a good investment?

What is your idea of a good investment? Sell low, buy high :pac:

Silver is half the price it was in 1980.

Perhaps you never heard of the Hunt brothers but plenty of other people have.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday

Silver is also half the price now then it was over a year ago, doesn't mean we should buy it.

[/QUOTE]
    When you say "you know nothing about"...do you mean that YOU, know nothing about it.[/QUOTE]

Nothing about what, making guaranteed money buying silver and gold? I have heard all about this before and will again in the future, only I only ever hear about it when people are making paper profits, never when I hear they are making actual loses.

[/QUOTE]
    If you study economic history you would see that gold and especially silver are great investments. [/QUOTE]

Eh, no they are not. Gold is a hedge against inflation, nothing else. The S&P 500 has out performed gold in every long term window, consistently!!

fda.jpg

[/QUOTE]
    [/QUOTE]

What is this system you are referring to?

[/QUOTE]
    I mean, sure I'd buy a cheap property if I had that type of cash but I doubt anyone here is throwing around money like that.[/QUOTE]

Around half of all property sold in Ireland the past year were cash only purchases. Yes, people are throwing money around like that.
    By the way Silver went up 20% this month and 14% last week.

If you bought the shares in the largest silver mining company CCU(which I did) last week you'd have made more than a 50% profit.

Thats great, so when are you going to sell?

• Advertisement

danotroy wrote: »
    The guardian are taking a leaf out of hooboo's book.

The guardian are trying to sell newspapers, wounder what hooboo's problem is

Perhaps you never heard of the Hunt brothers but plenty of other people have.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday

Silver is also half the price now then it was over a year ago, doesn't mean we should buy it.
    When you say "you know nothing about"...do you mean that YOU, know nothing about it.[/QUOTE]

Nothing about what, making guaranteed money buying silver and gold? I have heard all about this before and will again in the future, only I only ever hear about it when people are making paper profits, never when I hear they are making actual loses.

[/QUOTE]
    If you study economic history you would see that gold and especially silver are great investments. [/QUOTE]

Eh, no they are not. Gold is a hedge against inflation, nothing else. The S&P 500 has out performed gold in every long term window, consistently!!

fda.jpg

[/QUOTE]
    [/QUOTE]

What is this system you are referring to? ---- THE PETRO DOLLAR SYSTEM

[/QUOTE]
    I mean, sure I'd buy a cheap property if I had that type of cash but I doubt anyone here is throwing around money like that.[/QUOTE]

Around half of all property sold in Ireland the past year were cash only purchases. Yes, people are throwing money around like that.

Because house prices are low. So is gold and silver.

All your graph shows to me is that both gold and silver are undervalued.

There wasn't a lot of price for gold to grow since it was pegged at a set price for ages.

Look, I'll make it simple. This next graph shows an investment of $10,000 in gold vs s and p since 2001....

gold_vs_stock_chart_2013.jpg

Gold has grown from $300 an ounce to where it is today. 400% to 500%

Thats great, so when are you going to sell?[/QUOTE]

Sold already and re-invested the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

agghhh knocking around the 67.5c mark this morning .... balls I am heading back to ireland in a few weeks, was hoping for it to hit 70c

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm going to transfer my tax back to Ireland as soon as it (hopefully) goes back towards the 70c mark. Whether or not that happens is another matter.

When ...
    ... profits.

You have contradicted yourself in the post above. First of all you state that that gold is undervalued so that is a reason to buy... then you state that it has increased by up to 500%... so that is another reason to buy as lots of money was made. Which is it? The herd mentality is what gets people in the end. Never underestimate the stupidity of people and money.

There are two types of investing. Firm foundation theory where you invest in an instrument that has an intrinsic value or Castle in the Air theory where you take advantage of human behavior and buy before the herd. It doesn't matter what you pay for something as there will always be someone there to pay more for it later on. That is how bubbles form e.g. tech bubble, housing bubble, commodites bubble. You can make money using both no doubt but the later is much risker and people end up losing lots of money. Not for me but maybe for you.

http://finance.wikia.com/wiki/Firm_Foundation_Theory
    http://finance.wikia.com/wiki/Castle-in-the-Air_Theory

You have contradicted yourself in the post above. First of all you state that that gold is undervalued so that is a reason to buy... then you state that it has increased by up to 500%... so that is another reason to buy as lots of money was made. Which is it? The herd mentality is what gets people in the end. Never underestimate the stupidity of people and money.

There are two types of investing. Firm foundation theory where you invest in an instrument that has an intrinsic value or Castle in the Air theory where you take advantage of human behavior and buy before the herd. It doesn't matter what you pay for something as there will always be someone there to pay more for it later on. That is how bubbles form e.g. tech bubble, housing bubble, commodites bubble. You can make money using both no doubt but the later is much risker and people end up losing lots of money. Not for me but maybe for you.

http://finance.wikia.com/wiki/Firm_Foundation_Theory
    http://finance.wikia.com/wiki/Castle-in-the-Air_Theory

The vast majority of the growth in gold and silver in the last 10 years was well before the expansion of the money supply since the 2008 crash.

Gold and silver have consolidated. They are still very undervalued.

Forget all that though mate....Did you buy the share I told you about, CCU?

Up 18% today....your welcome mate.

The vast majority of the growth in gold and silver in the last 10 years was well before the expansion of the money supply since the 2008 crash. .

Which could indicate another bubble. Why has gold come down 30% from its peak and silver 50% from its peak?
    Gold and silver have consolidated. They are still very undervalued.

Both are falling, if that is your term for consolidating then fair enough.
    Forget all that though mate....Did you buy the share I told you about, CCU?

Up 18% today....your welcome mate.

And still 50% lower than it was at the start of year.... How much have you lost?
    Buy low sell high, that is all you are doing but on average you will not make more money than someone who takes a longer view. What you are doing is trading one step away from outright gambling. I prefer to invest for the longer term.

Ok mate, we'll agree to disagree. I made a tidy little profit on CCU. Bought at 10 cents, sold at 18 cents, rebought again at 14 and now it's 22 cents.....

Silver went up more in one week last week than it has in the last 5 years.

Consolidate...I mean bottom out and start a slow decent before a sharp increase.

You don't understand the fundamentals behind why gold, silver....oil and other commodities are going to increase a lot in price in the next 5 years in my opinion.

I'm not going to try to give you my opinion. I've made my mind up on the issue and so have you. Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pa_

Sin stop referring to fundamentals, your investment advice is 5 years out of date and sounds like regurgitated pub talk at this stage. Smart folk got out of gold a year ago and into better other hedges and will continue the move into productive assets as the deleveraging process continues. I don't even follow this stuff that closely but from my point of view you need to come to terms with the fact that gold wont rise exponentially forever like the picture you posted implies - if it has already shown a massive increase then the party is over - move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Would all the w anchors who are talking about stuff other than the Ozzie falling relative to other fiat currencies please puss off this thread & create ure own metal headbanger & thrash thread?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Mate, unless you are a professional precious metals trader don't talk about fundamentals as if you know something others don't. Whatever about gold I wouldn't touch silver with a barge pole.
    It isn't call the Devils Metal for nothing.
    http://www.dailyreckoning.com.au/silver-the-devils-metal/2013/08/15/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Yeah, seriously lads. I'm following this thread to get up to date info on the Aussie dollar and every update I get is about gold and silver. Maybe take that conversation to a different thread/forum and keep this one for Aussie dollar info.

[Mod] 100% agree with above. There are money and finance forums. Please no more silver and gold talk.
    I've been mainly offline this week so should have nipped this in the bud sooner

I agree, just highlighting the fallacy that one can be rich in a fortnight on an asset class that is highly volatile.

Feds minutes released last night which is putting the AUD under lots of pressure. Still waiting for my .70 + cent exchange rate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

BBC news today - China 'China manufacturing in sharp rebound'.

Em, you deleted threads talking about the AUD?

Mod My mistake, I deleted a few more posts ignoring instructions, two posts accidentally deleted - fixed now.

Hovering about 67.5 at the moment. Hopefully Greece or some other EU country will have bad headlines over the next week or two. Hope too for good news from China! Got to push it over that .70 cent mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

The Ozzie is at record highs....

Against the Indian Rupee:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

The dollar has been falling against the us dollar quite about over the last few months. Should I be changing my dollars into USA dollars now or should i wait, what factors are at play?

Advertisement