Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Punch

Options
  • 19-05-2013 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

Ok - bit of a strange request! I'm having an afternoon tea on Sunday for my friends as I'm due a baby in a few weeks (kind of like a baby shower, but without games or pressies and I'm organising it myself). I'm planning on making some non alcoholic punch and wanted to make a blue one as I'm having a boy, just for something a bit different.

I've seen some really fun ones online with little ducks floating in the punch bowl (like here: http://www.food.com/recipe/blue-baby-shower-punch-114506) My only problem is that all the recipes are American and ask for blue coloured koolaid and stuff like that. I don't think we can get anything like that in Ireland. Anyone have any suggestions of what I could use? I was also thinking an alternative could be to make a clear coloured punch and then just add a small bit of blue food colouring but not sure of a recipe for that either.

The only other thing I can think is buying blue Mr Freezes and and melting them but that probably wouldn't taste the best - haven't had one of those in years :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yu can get blue Powerade and sometimes you can find blue Gatorade. The recipe you linked has the powdered versions listed, which I can't think of a substitute for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Goodalls do a range of food colourants. I suppose you could add some blue colourant to whatever you put in the punch bowl? :/

colours-range.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Catphish wrote: »
    Goodalls do a range of food colourants. I suppose you could add some blue colourant to whatever you put in the punch bowl? :/

colours-range.jpg

I was thinking of that but I'll need to find a punch that is not coloured, so without juice etc. Otherwise it will end up funny coloured :) I can't think of a non alcoholic drink that would be clear and tasty. Gin and tonic would be great if I was on the booze!

I could just use 7 up I suppose and have it for decorative purposes but it'd be nice to have something tasty :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I was thinking of that but I'll need to find a punch that is not coloured, so without juice etc. Otherwise it will end up funny coloured :) I can't think of a non alcoholic drink that would be clear and tasty. Gin and tonic would be great if I was on the booze!

I could just use 7 up I suppose and have it for decorative purposes but it'd be nice to have something tasty :)
    I was thinking 7up too. But I suppose you could use any sparkling fruity water either.

Tesco do a white grape and blackberry sparkling water which would go with the colour so to speak, the one on the far right here -

ownLabel2.png

I was thinking 7up too. But I suppose you could use any sparkling fruity water either.

Tesco do a white grape and blackberry sparkling water which would go with the colour so to speak, the one on the far right here -

ownLabel2.png

That's a great idea! Thanks :) If I say nothing people will think I made something fruity too, it'll be my secret! I may also add some bubbles to it. I don 't mind other people having a bit of alcohol and it might pep it up a bit. It'll no harm for me to have one glass of it either.

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    That's a great idea! Thanks :) If I say nothing people will think I made something fruity too, it'll be my secret! I may also add some bubbles to it. I don 't mind other people having a bit of alcohol and it might pep it up a bit. It'll no harm for me to have one glass of it either.
    The Tesco range I mentioned is sparkling so you don't have to make it fizzy yourself. Best of luck with the baby, hope he's a good sleeper for you! :)

The Tesco range I mentioned is sparkling so you don't have to make it fizzy yourself. Best of luck with the baby, hope he's a good sleeper for you! :)

Me too! Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Advertisement