Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physio Recommendation South Dublin

• 19-05-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good physio, preferably in the Blackrock, Leopardstown etc area. However, I do not mind traveling further for the best.

The problem area in specific is lower back going to the back of my right leg.

Can anybody advise?

Also, if this is in the wrong area I apologise... please move it to the relevant area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

muboop1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good physio, preferably in the Blackrock, Leopardstown etc area. However, I do not mind traveling further for the best.

Can anybody advise?

Also, if this is in the wrong area I apologise... please move it to the relevant area.

aidan woods pearse street physio - found him to be very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

muboop1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Can anybody advise?

All of these guys/gals are great and get results

http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/2012/12/4-therapists-that-can-sort-you-out/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Transform wrote: »

Be careful 3 of those are not physio's.

Emma Gallivan works out of Ironside gym in Blackrock and is very very good. She has worked with Leinster and Athletics Ireland. Highly recommend.

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Be careful 3 of those are not physio's.

Emma Gallivan works out of Ironside gym in Blackrock and is very very good. She has worked with Leinster and Athletics Ireland. Highly recommend.
    careful of what?

I have had plenty of physical therapists work on my that were miles better than certain physios.

Its the guy/gal that get results that count so go for what works
    (have used Emma also and would recommend)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Sports Med Ireland on Kildare St.

Mark McCabe.
    Best Physio I've ever been to.

• Advertisement

careful of what?

I have had plenty of physical therapists work on my that were miles better than certain physios.

Its the guy/gal that get results that count so go for what works
    (have used Emma also and would recommend)

The op asked for a physio recommendation and you gave him 3 physical therapists.

The op asked for a physio recommendation and you gave him 3 physical therapists.
    because physio is what everyone uses as a catch all term

Bull, physiotherapist is a legally protected term, its illegal to call yourself a physiotherapist or to imply you are a physiotherapist.
    On the other hand anybody can call themselves a physical therapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

I would have to disagree, when I hear "physio" I think physiotherapist ie. someone who has a degree in physiotherapy and has trained in a hospital not a physical therapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I cannot recommend Andrew in physio.ie enough, he is on the southside twice a week

http://www.physio.ie/about-us/team/andrew-obrien/

• Advertisement

fondue wrote: »
    I would have to disagree, when I hear "physio" I think physiotherapist ie. someone who has a degree in physiotherapy and has trained in a hospital not a physical therapist.

and most physios who train in hospitals tend to work with patients who are older, more sedentary and are usually rehabbing them after knee and hip replacements.

This type of physio is almost always overly cautious when treating younger patients who have far greater powers of recovery.

I have been to a few physical therapists who are better than many physios.

I firmly believe that the best physios out there will also have a qualification in strength and conditioning or be athletes themselves, people like Mark McCabe, Emma Gallivan and Kevin Darcy (Galway based) automatically spring to mind.

and most physios who train in hospitals tend to work with patients who are older, more sedentary and are usually rehabbing them after knee and hip replacements.

This type of physio is almost always overly cautious when treating younger patients who have far greater powers of recovery.

I firmly believe that the best physios out there will also have a qualification in strength and conditioning or be athletes themselves, people like Mark McCabe, Emma Gallivan and Kevin Darcy (Galway based) automatically spring to mind.
    I might add that I couldn't care if they waved crystals over me as long as it fixed an injury. Don't care About qualifications just results and hands on work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Hi,

Thank you for your responses! Some very good suggestions there.

To clarify, I do not care a whit what they are once they can fix me! I would have a preference for a chartered physiotherapist as I think I get a part refund from my health insurance. That's as far as it goes though.

I've looked into Emma, but found her LinkedIn and it seems that she is no longer working in Blackrock since March.

Mark McCabe seems a good bet. Ill contact his place on Monday.

Thanks
    muboop1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭karlitob

Another ignorant comment about physios!

Of course those who work in hospitals and treat older people obviously treat based on the patients presenting condition and the evidence base available.
    And even more obvious is that physio's who work in private practice and treat younger people with a range of mainly musculoskeletal problems also treat based on the patients presenting condition and the evidence base available.

To think that a physio who works with older people, is the same as a physio who works with younger people is ridiculous. Its like saying that a doctor who is a endocrinologist is likely more cautious with cardiac drugs for a cardiac condition as its not their speciality, by your reasoning, so is the cardiologist. They're both doctors, according to you, there's no difference between them - so go to some other quack.

karlitob wrote: »
    Another ignorant comment about physios!

Of course those who work in hospitals and treat older people obviously treat based on the patients presenting condition and the evidence base available.
    And even more obvious is that physio's who work in private practice and treat younger people with a range of mainly musculoskeletal problems also treat based on the patients presenting condition and the evidence base available.

To think that a physio who works with older people, is the same as a physio who works with younger people is ridiculous. Its like saying that a doctor who is a endocrinologist is likely more cautious with cardiac drugs for a cardiac condition as its not their speciality, by your reasoning, so is the cardiologist. They're both doctors, according to you, there's no difference between them - so go to some other quack.

How is my comment in any way ignorant?

It's based on over 12 years of going to different physios for different issues, having multiple friends who are physios & having the S&C knowledge to know a good rehab programme from a bad one

The rest of your post is garbage.
    You are agreeing with what I said while at the same time trying to infer I says something I didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭doughef

I would recommend this guy

http://www.physiodundrum.com/page9.aspx

right beside the Garda station in Dundrum. €30 a session too...

I've used him and found him great.

Feel free to pm if you have any questions

doughef wrote: »
    I would recommend this guy

http://www.physiodundrum.com/page9.aspx

right beside the Garda station in Dundrum. €30 a session too...

I've used him and found him great.

Feel free to pm if you have any questions

Regardless of how good or not this guy is, he misleading the public. He is not a physio he is a physical therapist. Physiotherapist is a protected term and if you pretend to be a physiotherapist or lead someone to believe you are a physiotherapist when you are not, you are committing fraud.

Why do physical therapists try to make people think they are physiotherapists :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭doughef

Regardless of how good or not this guy is, he misleading the public. He is not a physio he is a physical therapist. Physiotherapist is a protected term and if you pretend to be a physiotherapist or lead someone to believe you are a physiotherapist when you are not, you are committing fraud.

Why do physical therapists try to make people think they are physiotherapists :confused:

A rose by any other name :D

Worked for me.. 30 quid..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What? The site itself clearly says "physical therapy" in multiple places.

Is "Physio" even an officially protected term?

doughef wrote: »
    A rose by any other name :D

Worked for me.. 30 quid..

iv no doubt he is good.Im glad you got sorted.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    What? The site itself clearly says "physical therapy" in multiple places.

Is "Physio" even an officially protected term?

Physio is nite protected. Leading a person to believe you are a physiotherapist is illegal.

Its nite to protect physios its to protect the public.

I have no doubt that physical therapists are well trained therapists. I just don't know why they constantly try to be recognised as physiotherapists.

Referring to yourself as "physiodundrum" is blatant! Why not be physicaltherapisdundrum.
    (im the UK physiotherapist and physical therapist are protected for the sole use of chartered physios)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Physio is nite protected. Leading a person to believe you are a physiotherapist is illegal.

Its nite to protect physios its to protect the public.

I have no doubt that physical therapists are well trained therapists. I just don't know why they constantly try to be recognised as physiotherapists.

Referring to yourself as "physiodundrum" is blatant! Why not be physicaltherapisdundrum.
    (im the UK physiotherapist and physical therapist are protected for the sole use of chartered physios)

Did a Physical Therapist run over your puppy??

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

Physio is nite protected.

I don't know what is meant by 'nite' protected so I can't comment on that.
    I think the legislation, when/if it is introduced, will protect "physiotherapist" but i don't think there are any plans to protect the word "physio" for the exclusive use of physiotherapists. I don't see that mentioned in the Act. But has the registration board been set up? And if it hasn't, is it true to say that any of this is protected. I think to say anything is legally protected at this point is to jump the gun. Looking at the CORU website, it seems to say physiotherapy is not regulated and therefore, I conclude, not protected.
    Clarification should help everyone and I would be all for that.
    While the legislation is being introduced and this is going on since 2005, it helps some groups to stir things up and to pretend they are already regulated. When/if they are regulated they will be more limited in what they can say. For the moment there is nothing to prevent them saying they are regulated when they are not.

Advertisement