Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting a light switch plate

Options
  • 19-05-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

What I have is what is shown in the image below. I've put masking tape over it leaving the part I want cut. (Basically making the current hole bigger)

But what I found is the plastic is very brittle. I can't find anyway of cutting it. Anyone have any suggestions about how to go about this?

In case your wondering, Im doing this for a home project of mine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

james142 wrote: »
    What I have is what is shown in the image below. I've put masking tape over it leaving the part I want cut. (Basically making the current hole bigger)

But what I found is the plastic is very brittle. I can't find anyway of cutting it. Anyone have any suggestions about how to go about this?
    In case your wondering, Im doing this for a home project of mine.

Would something here suit your project better and easier
    http://www.meteorelectrical.com/switches-and-sockets_data-accessories_faceplates-blanks.html?tax_val=1

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You will struggle to cut that shape without cracking it. Best bet is a small fine toothed jigsaw or use a soldering iron to 'melt' the shape out of the plastic, neither will leave a nice finished though

A data plate might help you here.

modularoutlets.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I've been successful with a dremel and cutting wheel but you need to be patient. A soldering iron won't work as most plates are heat resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

you'd cut that with a junior hack saw and file it to the finished edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

one of the mashal tufflex single blank plates would be easier to cut.
    they are not made of bakolite, but are wafer thin.
    the 2 mod data plates are usually 50x50 if thats any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Thanks for all the help. I didn't want to buy one online as I couldn't find the exact measurement hole that I needed.

I ended up spending hours with a file slowly making the hole to the size I needed. It isn't perfect but it will do!

Advertisement