Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer job for teenager

Options
  • 19-05-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi just wondering does any know of any summer jobs going??

My 16 year old gets her holidays next Thursday and I'm dreading the thoughts of her being stuck in my purse for the next 3 months.

She has tried Tesco, the Hyper etc but none are taking on at the moment.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 somecreep

Since she's 16 probably more than likely get a job easier than college students for the summer because of cheaper wages. Send in a C.V to every single shop in Waterford and she will will probably pick up a few hours somewhere because of people going on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd imagine something like pet shops (is there any in Waterford?) would be a good job for someone of that age as there are more and more restrictions these days to employ people of that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

hotels are your bet here waitressing for functions... best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Hotels are really her option because they pay buttons to teenagers.. If she doesn't mind that and a bit of grafting though its great opportunity...
    In something like banqueting shed most likely be able to keep the jobs at weekends after the hols

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Dont want to be a doomsday merchant but there are very few jobs going as is, I know a structural engineer whos cleaning toilets as a job its the only job he could get, I asked him whats he upto doing that job and he was like its all he could get there was nothing going in the town, and anything that was coming up were jobs that staff were getting people they knew so they werent even being advertised. I dont think its as easy anymore in hotels either, Its a case of pot luck, I know someone who works in a hotel and she told me theres about 10 CV's a week left into the managers desk,

Still if i hear anything i will post it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Plenty jobs in the hotels for banqueting staff and bottle collecting, the worse part is having to collect them at odd hours. Friends of mine got 'we'll call you when we need you' jobs. They got them in March when the tours start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Thats good, hopefully they will get more hours. and sure if the kid is 16 it would be a grand bit of pocket money every now and then, but she has to be reliable and able to follow orders, some kids are in the clouds and are bringing a do i have to attitude with them to work, and arent very good at taking direction, thats just a personal observation so if she cant be a'sed then she wont be taken back,

Advertisement