Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone locked to Vodafone UK

• 19-05-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi. I have an iPhone 3GS currently but due to the battery broken to the point where it shuts off if it isn't plugged in, I'm upgrading to a 4s. I'm on the Vodafone network at the moment, but don't have the money to buy directly from them, as it costs from 600-800euro. I've found an iPhone 4s on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140978237391?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 , it works out to about 300 euro which is brilliant value, considering the price I'd have to pay Vodafone.

Unfortunately its locked to Vodafone UK, which I assumed would be fine to use with a vodafone IE sim. Apparently I need to get a NAC code from Vodafone to unlock it, although I'd have to deal with Vodafone UK. I'm going on holidays in 2 weeks and will need it unlocked and to be able to use it by then, so sending the phone to them isn't really an option. I'm not sure the phone would be eligible for unlock anyway.

So, is there any alternate options? Can I unlock it myself, or is there anyone around here who could do it for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ie/viewitem?itemId=110977739085&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=79530795607

These guys or somebody like them will do it for you for €40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

missguided wrote: »
    Hi. I have an iPhone 3GS currently but due to the battery broken to the point where it shuts off if it isn't plugged in, I'm upgrading to a 4s. I'm on the Vodafone network at the moment, but don't have the money to buy directly from them, as it costs from 600-800euro. I've found an iPhone 4s on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140978237391?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 , it works out to about 300 euro which is brilliant value, considering the price I'd have to pay Vodafone.

Unfortunately its locked to Vodafone UK, which I assumed would be fine to use with a vodafone IE sim. Apparently I need to get a NAC code from Vodafone to unlock it, although I'd have to deal with Vodafone UK. I'm going on holidays in 2 weeks and will need it unlocked and to be able to use it by then, so sending the phone to them isn't really an option. I'm not sure the phone would be eligible for unlock anyway.

So, is there any alternate options? Can I unlock it myself, or is there anyone around here who could do it for me?

You should be entitled to an unlock from Vodafone if you have been with them for 6 months or more. Explain your scenario and they will let you know if they can unlock the phone for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Aodhagan wrote: »
    You should be entitled to an unlock from Vodafone if you have been with them for 6 months or more. Explain your scenario and they will let you know if they can unlock the phone for you.

Vodafone Ireland can't unlock Vodafone UK phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Codes are not issued to unlock iPhones. iPhones are unlocked on request by the original owner of the phone (where entitled). The unlock occurs over the air when connected to iTunes. So, there would be no need to send the phone to Vodafone UK, even if you were the original owner of this iPhone.

Your only recourse is to ask the seller to have this phone unlocked for you or use one of the methods such as has been highlighted in the second post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

Decided against buying an English phone as it was working out too expensive with the currency change and cost of unlocking. I've bought a phone locked to Vodafone IE on Done Deal, so no need for unlocking!

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Decided against buying an English phone as it was working out too expensive with the currency change and cost of unlocking. I've bought a phone locked to Vodafone IE on Done Deal, so no need for unlocking!

Thanks for the advice.

Very careful buying anything from Done Deal, you have no comeback at all and according to some of the posts on this it's pure dodgy and you have no recourse, which you would (have a slight chance of) on Adverts...

At least on Adverts you can see a sellers feedback before you consider buying anything....

Im very wary buying any Apple products second hand, too many horror stories of people selling phones having not payed bills and getting network locked etc....

Best of luck though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

Fieldog wrote: »
    Very careful buying anything from Done Deal, you have no comeback at all and according to some of the posts on this it's pure dodgy and you have no recourse, which you would (have a slight chance of) on Adverts...

At least on Adverts you can see a sellers feedback before you consider buying anything....

Im very wary buying any Apple products second hand, too many horror stories of people selling phones having not payed bills and getting network locked etc....

Best of luck though!

I've bought it already, it has been collected and is in perfect order! It's only 7 months old as well, no scratches or anything. I do agree though, no paypal or anything like eBay has so you need to be muuuuch more careful when buying from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I've bought it already, it has been collected and is in perfect order! It's only 7 months old as well, no scratches or anything. I do agree though, no paypal or anything like eBay has so you need to be muuuuch more careful when buying from there.

Have you rang Vodafone and told them to register the phone to you. Not sure but it might stop the original owner from reporting it stolen or lost. It can still happen even though you bought the phone and if there was insurance on it it's very likely to happen

Advertisement