Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best spot on for dogs?

• 19-05-2013 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on what is the best spot on treatment for a medium dog, 18.2 Kg to be exact.

I treat her for flea and ticks every 4 weeks but I get different stuff off my vet a lot of the time, I treated her yesterday with prac-tic and I found it useless enough, it was very thick and stuck to her coat rather than seep into the skin.

I looked up an old receipt I had from my vets and the one I was given before the prac-tic was called stronghold 120mg medium dog.

I have also heard of frontline but can't remember using that. I also know of stuff you can get in the pet shops for very cheap, although I've heard they are pretty useless.

Any opinions on which treatment is the best?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You are right to clear of the supermarket type ones and stick to the ones you can get at the vets.

I've used Frontline and Stronghold in the past and have found them both good. Advantage I didn't think was great.

However these treatments are fairly strong and every 4 weeks seems to be a bit excessive to me. Does your dog have fleas when you treat or do you treat as a preventative measure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Found Frontline & Stronghold very good. But as the op says maybe not treat so often. Strong chemicals aren't particularly good for the dog's health and I would watch out and only treat when you think fleas might be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I have always used Frontline every 3 months.

Flea stuff is cheaper on UK online stores than going to the vet - using www.animeddirect.co.uk at the moment.

These sites offer alot of alternatives with some products claiming to have the same ingredients as Frontline but cheaper.

Also some stuff can only be got with a perscription online which you can get from your vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

paultf wrote: »
    I have always used Frontline every 3 months.

But each application only covers you for four weeks?

I honestly think flea treatments are best reserved for when you dog does get fleas. They work within 24 hours and until they do, I'd be using a flea comb. Most dogs would only pick up one or two fleas, possibly - and an attentive owner would have them spotted before the numbers multiply!

These products are very powerful but they will become redundant if we over-use them - the fleas will develop resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I agree. I use Stronghold for my dog but only in the summer as a preventative measure. I don't like using chemicals on him all the time. Can't be good for his skin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

boomerang wrote: »
    But each application only covers you for four weeks?

For some reason I thought application was every 3 months for Frontline. This is when I worm the dogs so I do both together.

Online it says you can apply every month but 2 months is enough for fleas. It is hard to know because it says on the Frontline website to do it every month - all year round - even during the colder months due to central heating in houses.

Doing it every 3 months has worked for me so far and maybe in a way it is a compromise to doing it more frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The patent for frontline ran out last year so loads of cheaper alternatives on the uk sites ;) I don't see the point tbh because my dog is always in the water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Thanks for the advice! I was always told by my vet to flea every 4-6 weeks.

The dog doesn't appear to have fleas at the moment but she is very itchy, she gets this twitch when you rub a certain spot on her back which drives her mental. The minute you scratch the area the legs starts going mad scratching.

Why is this? I feed her burns now, she was on skinner's light and senior.

Also would anyone have any advice on places to buy food, spot on's, wormers online? I reckon it would be cheaper to buy these in bulk online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Why is this? I feed her burns now, she was on skinner's light and senior.

Also would anyone have any advice on places to buy food, spot on's, wormers online? I reckon it would be cheaper to buy these in bulk online.

Amazon.co.uk
    Vetuk.co.uk
    Medicanimal.com
    chemistdirect.co.uk

Use parcel motel if they don't deliver to Ireland ;)

Advertisement