Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a sound that will make it onto radio

Options
  • 19-05-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello everyone. Just want people's opinions on .. what sound will get you onto radio at the moment? I know it's very vague but I think it would make for a good discussion. For example, this band was approached by 2XM at the weekend to use this song on their station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjYbQJnq1Vw

Is this the type of sound that's popular at the moment? If anyone wants to add their opinions or link vids go for it :) I also would like to add that the Ed Sheeran/Passenger sound is something that's really popular at the moment!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Moved from Band promotion

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Needs more cowbell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I think Antares autotune is about 400$.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

troll_face_by_bmsproductionz-d5ng9k6.png

Apart from the trolling ;) - On a serious note (and trying to be helpful)

Music doesn't age, so basically anything can chart.

But it has to appeal to people in someway.

A good producer will be able to see if something is a hit and one probably wasn't involved in this track i guess as it made it so far not being beaten into shape.

I don't mean polished so much that everything is 100% perfect - But that there things are brought out in the right way if it's there from the start.

This band needs a great producer and some trickery in mixdowns to lift it to another level - but will not hang long in the charts, it's not a strong single (I'm not wanting to hit play again - don't get me wrong, I'm coming from a love of pop music)

I would approach attacking radio with some professionals behind you to make sure your product is going to shine in the sea of material swamped out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Got A John Frusciante

Neurojazz wrote: »

A good producer will be able to see if something is a hit and one probably wasn't involved in this track i guess as it made it so far not being beaten into shape.

I don't mean polished so much that everything is 100% perfect - But that there things are brought out in the right way if it's there from the start.

This band needs a great producer and some trickery in mixdowns to lift it to another level - but will not hang long in the charts, it's not a strong single (I'm not wanting to hit play again - don't get me wrong, I'm coming from a love of pop music)

I would approach attacking radio with some professionals behind you to make sure your product is going to shine in the sea of material swamped out there.

What? Of course it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Got A John Frusciante

splitrmx wrote: »

That's crazy talk. The likes of the elvis and beatles are too old and wouldn't be playing in nightclubs nowadyas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

Wise words. I agree with you on that one, If you're a young band or musician you have to get the best producers/promoters to bring you to the next level. Having said that, I really think that the song in the link is a grower. Whether it's a song for radio? Nah, these days it's all about being catchy and making a lasting impression. But for young bands and singers I guess it's all about getting out there, making as much contacts as possible and a bit of luck too

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

That's crazy talk. The likes of the elvis and beatles are too old and wouldn't be playing in nightclubs nowadyas!!

He has a point! The majority of radio nowadays is dominated by commercial pop and hip hop, elvis and the beatles don't fit into those genres...

• Advertisement

He has a point! The majority of radio nowadays is dominated by commercial pop and hip hop, elvis and the beatles don't fit into those genres...

NEVER underestimate the power of a remix. I've got a trance track mixed with Susan Boyle - music tastes and charts are not dictated by genres at all, it's about tapping into things that appeal.

There was even an Elvis remix a while back - brought it bang up to date :) - and even discussed doing an Imagine cover with a twist with a remixer...... It's all possible - any genre - any music :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

There was even an Elvis remix a while back - brought it bang up to date :) - and even discussed doing an Imagine cover with a twist with a remixer...... It's all possible - any genre - any music :)

little less conversation - elvis vs jxl. on paper it should have been an abortion but actually turned out quite listenable.

also burning love re-charted recently thanks to its popularity amongst northern soul fans.

Advertisement