Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build tv wiring

Options
  • 19-05-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

Wondering if anyone could help with spec for electrician before I give him final spec sheet on the tv points in my new build, am chasing for scokets and light switching at the mo.

One tv point will require about 25mtrs of HDMI from service room where all sky, electric and machincal is located, im told HDMI in these lenghts are v-costly plus not long enough.

I've read in a post from few years ago cat 6 will do the same but how is it terminated to attach to sky box and tv...do I need adaptors also will need to use magic eye as normal throuh co-ax is this the way?
    Also anything elce to future proof the tv points such as how many cables to run?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

I think HDMI won't work over distances greater than 25m.
    I have seen a product that will split a HDMI signal to be sent across 2 X Cat5e/6 cables on lengths up to 50m, pm sent.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As 1100010110 said it is possible to send HDMI (1080P) over 2 x CAT5 or 2 x CAT6.

Check out this link:

http://www.tvtrade.ie/hdmi-extender-over-cat5.html

Here is a video tutorial for the above:

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

have used the above system recently
    it is excellent
    try a company called fusion technologies, located in blanchardstown
    excellent guy called damien, he`ll sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I concur.
    I have one of these externders from my sky box to the tv in sitting room and it works perfectly well on ther HDMI port.

Think it cost me about €30. (2009)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Deal extreme do long HDMI cables I got a 15m delivered for less than ten euro, I think they have 25m as well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

+1 for the cat5/6 and the extender, its the best way to go for long or multiple runs. I would probably run 2 co-ax to each point from a central location in the house too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Just wondering what's the situation with the remote control when using those HDMI extenders?

i.e. do they have any sort of 'magic eye' feature or do they only transmit the signal in one direction from the sky box to the TV?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

LLU wrote: »
    Just wondering what's the situation with the remote control when using those HDMI extenders?

i.e. do they have any sort of 'magic eye' feature or do they only transmit the signal in one direction from the sky box to the TV?

They do yes. All explained in the link I posted above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

2011 wrote: »
    They do yes. All explained in the link I posted above.

Ok, thanks. So the linked page is for the 'HDMI Extender Over Cat5', and from there is a link to another page for the 'IR Kit for HDMI Over CAT5 Extender' for €27.50.
    Guess the thing to watch out for is that you need both.

LLU wrote: »
    Guess the thing to watch out for is that you need both.
    Yes, but you can add the IR kit at any stage.
    The wiring will be the same either way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Allways wire/run more Cat5e/Cat6 than you need.:)

"better to be looking at it,than looking for it).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

2011 wrote: »
    As 1100010110 said it is possible to send HDMI (1080P) over 2 x CAT5 or 2 x CAT6.

Check out this link:

http://www.tvtrade.ie/hdmi-extender-over-cat5.html

Here is a video tutorial for the above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W99uR9AoCew

Awesome. Do you know if there's any way to loop the CAT5/6 around a couple of locations or is there a limit of one remote TV?

Or, what would be the best non-HD way of supplying the TVs? I was going to be running in a CAT6 but now I'll be running a couple regardless! Cheers matey!

Awesome. Do you know if there's any way to loop the CAT5/6 around a couple of locations or is there a limit of one remote TV?

You can feed 4 x 1080P HD TVs from one satellite box with one of these. Obviously all of TVs fed from the same source will be on the same channel.

Or, what would be the best non-HD way of supplying the TVs? I was going to be running in a CAT6 but now I'll be running a couple regardless! Cheers matey!

Why go non-HD ? Digital is the way to go. Most of us would find it hard to go back to anything but the sharp picture quality that is only possible from digital TV.

If the above suggestion does not suit perhaps you should consider installing a free to air box or two for additional TVs. This will allow different TVs to be on different stations with no additional monthly bill. I have a legal free to air box that has many stations including all of the RTEs, BBCs, ITVs and Channel 4, Film 4 and loads more. Many of those stations in HD too.

Advertisement