Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Degree at King's Inn

• 19-05-2013 7:44pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7

Hello.

I wonder about Barrister at Law degree (B.L) is bacheloer level degree or master level degree? student who recieve this degree, they can apply LL.M or ph.D course if they hope to study more?

Thank you very much for your attention. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

It's a professional degree so cant really be compared but if you must compare it, they told me in KI that it was the equivalent to a level 9 masters.

But it doesnt stop you going on and doing a masters or a phd.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 ativs

Thank you for your answer!

I didn't study Law at University, and i just studied Diploma of Legal studies in King's Inn. So, i wonder i can access any other masters or ph.D degree. after Barrister at Law degree :D

What did you study in university? Can you not just go ahead and do a masters or a phd on top of whatever the degree you got in university?

NoQuarter wrote: »
    What did you study in university? Can you not just go ahead and do a masters or a phd on top of whatever the degree you got in university?

Honestly i didn't finish full degree at University(Just finish two years of the course) and worked few years. So, i do not have any bachelor degree from the university. But, i feel more interesting countinue studying after my diploma.

So, i consider two ways of the countinue studying. One is transfer to University at Law degree(Bachelor of Civil Law or LL.B) and the other is studying Barrister at Law degree.(If i pass my entrance exam.)

I hope to focus on my future plan.(Transfer to Uni or Take an exam for King's Inn) So, wonder which is better.

My final goal is studying until ph.D, So, i want to make sure what do i do for my future goal.

But, I already spent my time for studying at King's Inn, So, hopefully countinue to study Barrister at Law degree.

Thank you very much!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I would imagine that you'd be ok for the llm, not so sure about the doctorate. Check with each individual course first.

• Advertisement

ativs wrote: »
    Honestly i didn't finish full degree at University(Just finish two years of the course) and worked few years. So, i do not have any bachelor degree from the university. But, i feel more interesting countinue studying after my diploma.

So, i consider two ways of the countinue studying. One is transfer to University at Law degree(Bachelor of Civil Law or LL.B) and the other is studying Barrister at Law degree.(If i pass my entrance exam.)

I hope to focus on my future plan.(Transfer to Uni or Take an exam for King's Inn) So, wonder which is better.

My final goal is studying until ph.D, So, i want to make sure what do i do for my future goal.

But, I already spent my time for studying at King's Inn, So, hopefully countinue to study Barrister at Law degree.

Thank you very much!!

Before you go any further I would advise you to call up colleges with llm#s and phd's you are interested in and see if you are eligible without a primary degree. I couldn't say whether the KI degree is considered the same. It might be but I'm not sure.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Before you go any further I would advise you to call up colleges with llm#s and phd's you are interested in and see if you are eligible without a primary degree. I couldn't say whether the KI degree is considered the same. It might be but I'm not sure.
    This is definitely the thing to do.

It's sort of an unknown quantity whether the BL degree has any value for academic pursuits. It was traditionally known as a vocational degree and it may be that some universities stick rigidly to their rules around entrance requirements and academic achievements etc.

I would imagine that you'd be ok for the llm, not so sure about the doctorate. Check with each individual course first.
    Thank you very much for your advice!!

Thank you for your answer!

Could you give me any advises which is better transfer to University or Countinue studying at King's Inn?

This is definitely the thing to do.

It's sort of an unknown quantity whether the BL degree has any value for academic pursuits. It was traditionally known as a vocational degree and it may be that some universities stick rigidly to their rules around entrance requirements and academic achievements etc.
    Thank you very much for your advise.

Could you give me more advises which is better choice for me? Thanks a lot again!

• Advertisement

Find a masters or a phd you want to do, call the college and see if they will take you with the King's Inn degree and if they will, then do that for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

I would think there is no chance of any college accepting you for a phd without a primary degree.
    Sometimes the Kings Inns qualifications have helped people get into a masters but even then they had a primary degree.
    In any case it is obvious that English is not your first language and I would be surprised if you were accepted onto any higher Third Level course with that standard of English.

Advertisement