Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions about starting out with my first Aquarium

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for that, I've been reading up a lot on the cycle, and trying to learn as much as I can. I'm the kind of person who's into this kinda stuff, so I will be buying a water testing kit alright.

That's when I get to the stage of getting this up and running! After getting the filter to work again (it just needed a clean) I've got cracks in the bottom pane of the tank! So I either have to replace that pane completely, or just get a new tank. I'm looking at prices for my different options at the moment and then I'll decide. I know replacing the pane will be cheaper, but it'll also be a lot more hassle and I don't know if I'd trust the tank afterwards. Getting a new tank would be dearer, but also easier, and I'll have still saved a lot of money on the free cabinet, filter, heater etc. I got!

I'm on no real deadline, apart from the fact that I'd like to buy some fish in mid-November (my birthday, and this whole Aquarium is a birthday present to me), so I'd like the tank cycled by then. But there's no real rush, so I can take my time and see what my best option is....

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

jasonb wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I've been reading up a lot on the cycle, and trying to learn as much as I can. I'm the kind of person who's into this kinda stuff, so I will be buying a water testing kit alright.

If you get a test kit, make sure it is a liquid based one.

These are far, far more accurate than the strip type.

API make a good freshwater test kit.

Tests included are Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, high-range ph, low-range ph + 4 test tubes + colour reference chart.

It's on the pricey side, but worth it in my opinion.

Once your tank gets older/more stable, there wouldn't really be a need to test anymore as unless you changed something the parameters should remain the same.

I only test on doing larger water changes than usual (holidays, etc), switching food types, replacing bulbs, changing lighting times, adding/removing plants, etc.

Personal preference would be to get a new tank + the stuff that comes with. Take your time, research what fish types you'd like, what substrates/plants/light they have in the wild, and make something beautifull!

Thanks CruelCoin,

Was definitely looking at the 'proper' liquid based test, had already spotted that kit all right. Pricey, like you say, but I also think it's worth it, especially when you're starting up.

Definitely leaning towards a new tank, though cost is a factor of course! Have been looking at some species of fish, trying to find ones that are easy to care for, but I like the look of too! Right now I'm thinking I might go with the following:

6 Sterbas Corys
    6 Cherry or Gold Barbs
    Some Clown Killifish
    Maybe something else

Am hoping to have a few real plants in the tank too, but don't want to have a 'planted' aquarium (if that makes sense)? I reckon I'll have enough fun trying to keep the fish alive, without adding a lot of plants to take care of too! So I'm thinking just a couple, to give the fish somewhere to hide if they want, and it'll add to the look of the tank. Really enjoying the research side of this project, and hopefully the practical side will be good too! :)

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

jasonb wrote: »
    Am hoping to have a few real plants in the tank too, but don't want to have a 'planted' aquarium (if that makes sense)? I reckon I'll have enough fun trying to keep the fish alive, without adding a lot of plants to take care of too! So I'm thinking just a couple, to give the fish somewhere to hide if they want, and it'll add to the look of the tank. Really enjoying the research side of this project, and hopefully the practical side will be good too! :)

J.

I say the same to pretty much everyone:
    Good plants for beginners (nigh on impossible to kill, will grow in a bucket of ****-water....)

Anubias (low growing shrubby thing)
    Vallisneria (grasses)
    Java Fern (slow growing but bullet proof)

Not sure what your budget is but i got a tank off this lad:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/fish-for-sale/fish-tank-aquarium-200l/5282019
    Was very happy with it. Comes with everything, but you'll have to get a stand for it.

Here is a page full of guides i cobbled together. Been a while since i put it together, so some pages may fail to load.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056816923

Thanks for the plant advice, I'll check them out! Thankfully I only have to look at a tank, I have a cabinet, lights, filter etc that are all fine! :) I'll check out your guides when I've a few mins to myself to look at them properly too...

Thanks again...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

JanneG wrote: »
    The only thing I would say is that if you want to go for a brand new tank and you go for the Rekord 800 is that I found the pump that comes with the filter is a tad weak and I ended up swapping it for the next size up and have been very happy since.

Hi and sorry for digging up an old thread, but I think I'm going to buy the Rekord 800 and according to their site it currently ships with an Eccoflow 500 circulation pump. Which pump should I replace it with??
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Really, it depends on what you plan on stocking it with. Some fish love a powerful flow, others prefer calmer water (e.g. Fighter fish)

Sleepy wrote: »
    Really, it depends on what you plan on stocking it with. Some fish love a powerful flow, others prefer calmer water (e.g. Fighter fish)

Thanks for the quick reply. For the first couple of months it will just be a cold tank for the kids (reward system) but then I will change to tropical and probably stock with Angels, Bala sharks, red tails, something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Villan11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply. For the first couple of months it will just be a cold tank for the kids (reward system) but then I will change to tropical and probably stock with Angels, Bala sharks, red tails, something like that.

Unless the 800 in Rekord 800 stands for litres (which I know it doesn't), then you better plan for some other fish than Bala sharks or red tails.

It's not a big enough tank for goldfish, no matter how much you upgraded the filtration. I love Minnows but honestly, you might be better sticking in a heater and going tropical from the off?

Personally, I find the Juwel filters fine so I'd just go with what you've bought and see how you get on with it.

• Advertisement

When I say cold tank I just mean the ordinary common gold fish, as in the ones normally in a bowl. And then if the kids take to it switch in the heater and get some tropicals...... Will stick with the original pump so, thanks.

I'm afraid a Rekord 800 isn't nearly big enough for even a single gold fish.

A single common goldfish would need a 300l tank whereas the Rekord 800 is about 110l.

It's a common misconception that goldfish are fine in small tanks due to the prevalence of the image of "goldfish bowls". These are actually banned in many countries as they poison the fish almost immediately. A goldfish might last for a year or two in an 110l tank if you're regular about your water changes but for a pet that can live 30+ years, that's not exactly kind...

A heater will cost about a tenner and you can have far more variety and colour with tropicals, which are actually much easier to keep properly than goldfish.

Have a search of this forum for goldfish, there's tons of threads on them here and all with the same advice: they belong in ponds.

Wow!!! Excuse my ignorance and many thanks for the lengthy reply. Tropicals from the outset it is.

Any recommendations on something hardy? Will have to try and convince the little ones now about what they're picking. ;-)
    Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm afraid a Rekord 800 isn't nearly big enough for even a single gold fish.

A single common goldfish would need a 300l tank whereas the Rekord 800 is about 110l.

It's a common misconception that goldfish are fine in small tanks due to the prevalence of the image of "goldfish bowls". These are actually banned in many countries as they poison the fish almost immediately. A goldfish might last for a year or two in an 110l tank if you're regular about your water changes but for a pet that can live 30+ years, that's not exactly kind...

A heater will cost about a tenner and you can have far more variety and colour with tropicals, which are actually much easier to keep properly than goldfish.

Have a search of this forum for goldfish, there's tons of threads on them here and all with the same advice: they belong in ponds.

Mollys or Platys are always a good starting point, lovely colourful fish and kids love them. I love Tetras myself though a lot of the neon tetras you find nowadays are rather weak.

Take a read of the sticky about cycling a tank before buying anything, it might be a few weeks before the tank is ready for fish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paranoid user

If you are thinking of tetra, take a look at penguin tetra. They are silver with a black strip on the sides. They are fairly active in daylight and are a mid tank swimmers.

I have 8 and 1 male red swordtail, they get on fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Villan11 wrote: »
    Wow!!! Excuse my ignorance and many thanks for the lengthy reply. Tropicals from the outset it is.

Any recommendations on something hardy? Will have to try and convince the little ones now about what they're picking. ;-)

Cherry barbs are really pretty, active and well behaved. They are schooling fish, so you need need to get six of more of them.

Ruby barbs might be a good shout too. They grow to about 2 inches in size and they are schooling fish too. They colour beautifully when they mature. I was over in Seahorse Aquarium in Dublin last weekend and they have them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ashcase

I'm getting my first aquarium. 500litres, great condition. I want to have lots of plants and just nice school of little tetras. Any advice in filter, light, co2, food, substrate or anything else? Complete novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 trudjaga

I have 50 cm pacu fish for adoption ! my aquarium is to small for him ! is anyone is interested ?

Advertisement