Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth Essays - What's Everyone Covering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Well what if we think of it in the context "What if Banquo didn't die?" Surely that changes things and shows his significance.

But if he wasn't there to begin with, then how could he die? :pac:

But if he wasn't there to begin with, then how could he die? :pac:

He wouldn't but you're arguing if we remove him completely whereas I'm going to the opposite side of the spectrum and saying what if he was more prominent?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MusicChick94Xx

Banquo is extremely important to the plot, especially his ghost. Why do you think Shakespeare had Banquo's ghost visit Macbeth and not Duncan's ghost? Because Banquo was Macbeth's best friend. When Banquo's ghost visits Macbeth it sends Macbeth over the edge, he is now incapable of hiding his guilt for having Banquo assassinated. Basically, it shows Macbeth still has a conscience. Oh and he is used as a moral pillar for Macbeth. Banquo is an example of how Macbeth should have dealt/reacted to the prophecies.

I'm not saying that he's completely insignificant. I said he's not very significant to the plot, take him away and the outcome is very much the same. Obviously he adds a lot to the play. Shakespeare uses him to highlight Macbeth's lack of morality etc.. matTNT's post would have been a fair comment if I had said something like "Banquo adds nothing at all to the play..." but I didn't say that and I feel he either misinterpreted my post or took it out of context.

Either way, I don't really want to get into a big debate about this.

I'm not saying that he's completely insignificant. I said he's not very significant to the plot, take him away and the outcome is very much the same. Obviously he adds a lot to the play. Shakespeare uses him to highlight Macbeth's lack of morality etc.. matTNT's post would have been a fair comment if I had said something like "Banquo adds nothing at all to the play..." but I didn't say that and I feel he either misinterpreted my post or took it out of context.

Either way, I don't really want to get into a big debate about this.

Sorry if it seemed like I was arguing or whatever, I was just giving my opinion :)

• Advertisement

Sorry if it seemed like I was arguing or whatever

It didn't seem like that at all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

He wouldn't but you're arguing if we remove him completely whereas I'm going to the opposite side of the spectrum and saying what if he was more prominent?

On ths logic I could say "What if Lennox were more prominent?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

Lennox is a baws. Had his chimney blown down.

On ths logic I could say "What if Lennox were more prominent?"

Hmm perhaps prominent is the wrong word.. As by definition it implies he has already grown more important.
    Not if he was more prominent, if he was in it longer I.e if he hadn't died. There is no evidence to say Banquo would have stood idly by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

AndyMc wrote: »
    Lennox is a baws. Had his chimney blown down.

awkward moment when you don't know who lennox is . crap!

• Advertisement

Lennox rides with Mac D and the crew. Looks like he believe Macbeth but really hes on to him like white on rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

So far I have the following essays prepared:
    Character of Macbeth
    Character of Lady Macbeth
    Character of Banquo
    Theme of kingship
    Imagery and Symbolism

I feel once I have these ready then I can manipulate any question they ask.
    If anyone else has some suggestions I will gladly take note :)

I'm prepared for:
    A question on Macbeth,
    A question on Lady Macbeth,
    The relationship between the Macbeth's,
    The similarities between the Macbeth's,
    A question on Banquo,
    A question on the three Witches,
    Kingship,
    Theme of Ambition,
    Theme of evil.

Anything else I should cover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Jesus :(

All I've done is learn quotes...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I haven't touched Macbeth since Easter and all that was was an essay of imagery. Suppose I really should get cracking on him soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Wow, all the essays some of you have prepared for Macbeth o__O !
    I think if you know a few quotes (all the important ones), you'd be able to make up an answer on the spot. I just have kingship covered, but I know what I'd write for a relationship question. I'm just learning off quotes!

Since im absolutly freaking my **** now im writing summaries of essays with important quotes.

Worst part is that you really dont know how many quotes you know until you need them.

Speaking of such how extensively should you use quotes in the whole paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Since im absolutly freaking my **** now im writing summaries of essays with important quotes.

Worst part is that you really dont know how many quotes you know until you need them.

We were told 3 per page as a minimum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Generally i would put one quote per paragraph

3!!!!! Freakin 3!! WHAT!!

My teacher went on like every second line should be a quote.
    That is a relief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

We were told 3 per page as a minimum :)

Use quotes as you need them, ALWAYS GIVE THE CONTEXT and try and include three per point. I think 5-6 points in an essay is sufficent

I think its a nice touch too to add a word in every sentence eg. That he was "valiant" you know? It shows knowledge of the text :)

peekachoo wrote: »
    I think its a nice touch too to add a word in every sentence eg. That he was "valiant" you know? It shows knowledge of the text :)

Can you clarify what you mean? I would have thought using the same words as in your quotes would just show a poor command of language, if that's what you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

peekachoo wrote: »

I completely agree. An answer with a lot of quotes is obviously going to look better than an answer with few quotes. Saying that, only use quotes that are relevant to what you're saying.

E.g Macbeth was a "tyrant", even his name "blistered our tongues" .. - or something along those lines. I find it's best incorporating some quotes like that into your sentences, as it just flows better, in my opinion. Obviously you won't be able to do that for all the quotes, nor should you.

ray2012 wrote: »
    I completely agree. An answer with a lot of quotes is obviously going to look better than an answer with few quotes. Saying that, only use quotes that are relevant to what you're saying.

E.g Macbeth was a "tyrant", even his name "blistered our tongues" .. - or something along those lines. I find it's best incorporating some quotes like that into your sentences, as it just flows better, in my opinion. Obviously you won't be able to do that for all the quotes, nor should you.

Ah, if that's what the poster means I completely agree that is the best way of quoting for the post part, I thought you meant give a quote then use a word from the quote in the next sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

matTNT wrote: »
    Ah, if that's what the poster means I completely agree that is the best way of quoting for the post part, I thought you meant give a quote then use a word from the quote in the next sentence.

why would you do that?

matTNT wrote: »

yeah sorry that's what I meant :)

You can't just quote for the sake of quoting. If the quote isn't relevant then you will lose marks as it will mess with the flow of your essay. If you can't think of a quote that matches your point directly, use a key scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Hi Guys/Girls,
    I am looking for a quote on Kingship. My sentence is: The world of Duncan's court is one of hhonour and order. In this world, we hear of heroism rewarded, deceitfulness punished and of bravery and victory in the surface of a just cause, "Quote".
    What quote fits here? I can't find the one I'm looking for. :) GRMA

• Advertisement

Hi Guys/Girls,
    I am looking for a quote on Kingship. My sentence is: The world of Duncan's court is one of hhonour and order. In this world, we hear of heroism rewarded, deceitfulness punished and of bravery and victory in the surface of a just cause, "Quote".
    What quote fits here? I can't find the one I'm looking for. :) GRMA

The world of Duncan's court is one of honour and order. In this world, heroism, bravery and victory in the service of a just cause are rewarded while on the other hand deceitfulness and treachery are punished with death; this quote is taken from just after MacBeth has thwarted two threats to Scotland, including the defeat of the treasonous Thane of Cawdor "No more the thane of Cawdor shall deceive our bosom interest: go pronounce his present death and with his former title greet MacBeth".

Advertisement