Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth Essays - What's Everyone Covering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

matTNT wrote: »
    "No more the thane of Cawdor shall deceive our bosom interest: go pronounce his present death and with his former title greet MacBeth"

Spot on! Thanks a million! :D someone's going to get an A in english ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Spot on! Thanks a million! :D someone's going to get an A in english ;)

Reread it, I edited it.

Reread it, I edited it.

Thanks, that's better again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 django 123

Anybody learning theme of appearance vs reality? Has never came up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Nope, can they ask a theme question and a language question? or is it one or the other do you reckon? Because I am leaving out all the imagery, language and theme stuff to be honest, except kingship.

• Advertisement

Nope, can they ask a theme question and a language question? or is it one or the other do you reckon? Because I am leaving out all the imagery, language and theme stuff to be honest, except kingship.

Imagery is a nice question if you can get your head around it.....appearance vs reality is bull****able if you know your text.

Not sure what you mean by language thought...

How would you structure an imagery essay?

How would you structure an imagery essay?

What's the question?

What's the question?

Shakeapeare uses imagery to enhance his play "Macbeth". Discuss.

Shakeapeare uses imagery to enhance his play "Macbeth". Discuss.

I'll write up an essay plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

I'm prepared for:
    A question on Macbeth,
    A question on Lady Macbeth,
    The relationship between the Macbeth's,
    The similarities between the Macbeth's,
    A question on Banquo,
    A question on the three Witches,
    Kingship,
    Theme of Ambition,
    Theme of evil.

Anything else I should cover?

How Shakespeare retains a degree of sympathy for Macbeth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MusicChick94Xx

Daniel7740 wrote: »

thank you ^-^ was thinking of adding that in :)

Daniel7740 wrote: »

I imagine that falls under Macbeth...

What would be the structure for an essay on ambition?

So I feel that I could handle a question on:
    Kingship
    Banquo
    Macbeth
    Lady Macbeth (their relationship, also)
    Evil
    Deception

What would be your points (or main idea in each paragraph) for an essay on:
    - Ambition
    - The Witches
    - Imagery

Also, has anyone learned any soliloquies in the event a full question comes up on them?

Kingship
    Banquo
    Macbeth
    Evil
    Deception

- Ambition
    - The Witches
    - Imagery

Also, has anyone learned any soliloquies in the event a full question comes up on them?

What are the soliloquies? Macbeth has three is it? and Banquo has one? Who else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Kingship
    Banquo
    Macbeth
    Evil
    Deception

- Ambition
    - The Witches
    - Imagery

For ambition, you could just talk about how he was once a "valiant cousin" at the beginning of the play, but his "vaulting ambition" leads him into a world of darkness and evilness. It "o'er leaps" everything he has ever learned. This ambition turns him into a ruthless character "whose sole name blisters our tongues" ... go on to mention the murders, etc. That's how I would go about mine, I would say.

I have a few sheets on the use of soliloquies and their importance in the play, but there is no way I would go over it. You basically have to learn some of the soliloquies in the play, which would take me forever. I can't see a question coming up on it as I don't think much people in the country would be able to write 3/4 pages on them.

What are the soliloquies? Macbeth has three is it? and Banquo has one? Who else?

Macbeth has 7 I believe and Banquo has one.

ray2012 wrote: »
    For ambition, you could just talk about how he was once a "valiant cousin" at the beginning of the play, but his "vaulting ambition" leads him into a world of darkness and evilness. It "o'er leaps" everything he has ever learned. This ambition turns him into a ruthless character "whose sole name blisters our tongues" ... go on to mention the murders, etc. That's how I would go about mine, I would say.

I have a few sheets on the use of soliloquies and their importance in the play, but there is no way I would go over it. You basically have to learn some of the soliloquies in the play, which would take me forever. I can't see a question coming up on it as I don't think much people in the country would be able to write 3/4 pages on them.

Just had a stroke of inspiration :) I'd do two paragraphs on each character of Macbeth, Banquo and Lady Macbeth and show the effects ambition had on them.

Yeah like I don't know any soliloquy off by heart, just random quotes. I hope they wouldn't put it up but they could!

When you make a quote, do you guys reference what act/scene it comes from... and do you generally talk about what act you are making each point from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

When you make a quote, do you guys reference what act/scene it comes from... and do you generally talk about what act you are making each point from?

Nah I don't mention the act/scene or anything like that. I just use the quote and that's it. I don't think it's necessary for most quotes saying the context or where it's from.

• Advertisement

Not at all, that would be too difficult. You just contextualise it instead.
    Instead of "Macbeth says 'that is a step upon which I must..."
    You would say "Duncan has just announced that Malcom will be his successor. Macbeth reveals to the audience in one of his great soliloquies that he considers Malcom 'a step upon which..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

Just how accurate to the quotes have to be?
    Like if I say "To show a false sorrow"
    Instead of "To show an unfelt sorrow"
    Would they let me off?

AndyMc wrote: »
    Just how accurate to the quotes have to be?
    Like if I say "To show a false sorrow"
    Instead of "To show an unfelt sorrow"
    Would they let me off?

They shouldn't let you off to be honest but if you make more than one mistake they are likely to miss it and they will not dock you marks.
    However these people know their texts inside out and certainly won't miss it/give you the benefit of the doubt a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

KINGSHIP better come up.

Has Anyone Got any A standard Mahon Essays that I could use? Really stuck for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

If anyone has a high standard essay/notes on Banquo I'm quite in need, we did not study him in any form..

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

There is no way Banquo will come up. Look at how little information there is on him in the play...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

bleach94 wrote: »
    If anyone has a high standard essay/notes on Banquo I'm quite in need, we did not study him in any form..

Who is Banquo?

- A brave and loyal soldier in Duncan's army, and an ancestor of James I
    - He is a friend of MacBeth - until they meet the Witches: Banquo is murdered by hired assassins because of MacBeth's jealousy
    - He finally appears as a ghost, with a role to rebuke MacBeth

Banquo's virtues

For the first half of the play, Banquo is very obviously presented by Shakespeare as a parallel figure to MacBeth. Both distinguish themselves by fighting for their king, both have promises made to them by the Witches; but there the similarity ends. In Act 1, Scene 4, Banquo's reply to the king's praise is brief and self-effacing - MacBeth's is fuller. From our knowledge of MacBeth's thoughts in the previous scene, we suspect it is dishonest. In contrast, Banquo's brevity can be equated with truthfulness and honour.

Banquo and the Witches

In Act 1, Scene 3, Banquo's reaction to the Witches is noticeable more casual than MacBeth's, although he does ask the Witches if they see anything in the future for him. In their equivocal replies they promise him greatness and happiness. In the play Banquo appears morally superior to MacBeth and we could argue that he is never unhappy in the tortured manner that his friend is. The Witches' significant prediction, however, is that his descendents will become kings. Both men are genuinely startled at the immediate fulfilment of the prediction that MacBeth will become Thane of Cawdor. Banquo's puzzlement takes the form of scepticism and a deep distrust of the Witches, whom he sees as the 'devil' or the 'instrument of darkness. This distrust later becomes fear when, in Act II, Scene I, he tells of the 'cursed thoughts that nature / Gives way to in repose' and we find out in Line 20 that he has been dreaming of the Witches. Unlike MacBeth, he prays for God's help against whatever 'curesd thoughts' he has dreamed up.

MacBeth's jealousy of Banquo

MacBeth is taunted by two aspects of Banquo, as he explains in Act III, Scene I. The first, the virtue and strength of character of Banquo, is a rebuke to MacBeth's weaker character. The second is more subjective: it would appear that MacBeth cannot tolerate the thought that he has sacrificed his soul to profit Banquo, by allowing the latter's descendents to become kings. These two aspects remain to torment MacBeth's mind after the murder of Banquo and the escape of Fleance, and we can argue that Banquo's ghost arrives when summoned by MacBeth's conscience. At the point when MacBeth tries to dismiss Banquo with words, the ghost comes to rebuke him. MacBeth's impotent rage at the survival of Banquo's line in the Witches' show of eight kings in Act IV, Scene I expresses itself in the massacre of MacDuff's 'wife, his babes, and all unfortunate souls / that trace him in his line.'

Banquo's motivation / Personal response

To please James I, Shakespeare portrays the king's ancestor as a good Christian. Is there anything hidden in the text? We are left puzzling why Banquo fails to share his suspicion that his friend 'playedst most foully' for the kingship. Banquo fails to mention the meeting he and MacBeth had with the Witches. Is this because he was told his sons would become kings?

Key Quotation: Banquo, at the end of his soliloquy, says: 'But hush! No more'

I have a lot more, but they're copyright, so you'll have to PM an e-mail address if you want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

In the days leading up what are people most focusing on? I dont really know where to hedge my bets, I know a lot of stuff overlaps at least so maybe doing a different one like Kingship and then knowing ambition/downfall/relationship (which covers Lady macbeth in turn I guess), stuff on Banquo, and then I dunno? Witches or symbolism? Really dont know where to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 django 123

which would you say is the more prominent theme in macbeth deception? or appearance vs reality? can't decide which one to learn!

Advertisement