Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevlar Jeans Recommendations?

• 19-05-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I know it's a bit of a contentious topic but I am looking for a pair of Kevlar Jeans for short trips and town riding. I accept that they won't be as protective as my textile pair with padding but I'm looking for a half decent pair that are obviously better than a pair of Levi's.

I've about €100-150 to spend and would like to get a pair with knee & hip padding as well as being as well lined as possible with Kevlar; I understand some pairs are just lined at the knees, hip, arse etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

New ones on the market now by Bull-It which use their own Covec material and it performs far better than Kevlar apparently. Less thermal conductivity, better cut resistance and no degradation due to moisture.

Am definitely getting a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Pique wrote: »
    New ones on the market now by Bull-It which use their own Covec material and it performs far better than Kevlar apparently. Less thermal conductivity, better cut resistance and no degradation due to moisture.

Am definitely getting a pair.

Oh really, I shall look into them. Any idea where they can be bought from?

I was looking at a pair of these Hood jeans, not gone on the colouring but maybe in black.

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/acatalog/k7-motorcycle-jeans-mens.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Bikeworld in Dublin seem to be the only place on the island to sell them, according to http://bull-it.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

i was looking for kevlar jeans back in the days and i have been told they are more like fashion thing only, if you gonna drive on daily basis you better off with good pants, jeans are for "spain weekend drivers" - in my opinion

Bikerguy wrote: »
    i was looking for kevlar jeans back in the days and i have been told they are more like fashion thing only, if you gonna drive on daily basis you better off with good pants, jeans are for "spain weekend drivers" - in my opinion

Yea, I'm with you. That's what I was saying in my original post. They'd really just be for the odd spin into town, local trips and the like. I'm surrounded by traffic lights and 50km/h zones.

I've a good pair of textiles for more regular use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

What ever you do...do not get the Aldi/Lidi ones...SWEET BABY JESUS AND THE ORPHANS they are really bad.

More protection with a black bin liner!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I bought a brand called Australian Bikers Gear on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B006JW4HSO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I've found them to be of good quality. They have Kevlar in about 75% of the cloth. The reviews of it on Amazon are generally quite positive which convinced me to purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I got these recently, but I must admit I did not use them yet. If you are ordering, make sure you get a size bigger as they are a tight fit.

http://www.bikersgearuk.com/motorcycle-kevlar-cargo-jeans-ce-armoured

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    I got these recently, but I must admit I did not use them yet. If you are ordering, make sure you get a size bigger as they are a tight fit.

The red and white set .... ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    The red and white set .... ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that confident so I went with the black ones! :D:D

• Advertisement

Peanut2011 wrote: »

Humm, I might be interested in a pair of jeans from here alright. I'd be a little concerned about the sizing though.

dceire wrote: »
    Humm, I might be interested in a pair of jeans from here alright. I'd be a little concerned about the sizing though.

I ordered 2 sizes larger than I need by mistake and they fitted perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

From a safety point of view whats the difference between kevlar jeans and textile pants assuming both have knee and hip armour?

People always say the jeans are crap but I've never heard anybody give a good reason why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

What's the craic with these jeans, I have a pair of textile pants with removable inner lining, now in the warm* weather I take off the inner lining and wear them over my jeans going to work so I just have to slip them off at my desk.

Are these kevlar/armoured jeans comfortable enough to wear on the commute on the bike and throughout the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

tu2j2 wrote: »
    From a safety point of view whats the difference between kevlar jeans and textile pants assuming both have knee and hip armour?

People always say the jeans are crap but I've never heard anybody give a good reason why?

Abrasion resistance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

tu2j2 wrote: »

Never tried kevlar jeans but imo textile pants (and jackets for that matter) are worthless in a crash. If it wasn't for our crap weather I'd wear my leathers everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

leathers wont stop broken bones in a crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

kaimera wrote: »
    leathers wont stop broken bones in a crash.

Never said they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

Never tried kevlar jeans but imo textile pants (and jackets for that matter) are worthless in a crash. If it wasn't for our crap weather I'd wear my leathers everyday.

And I don't think anybody would disagree with you, if you really have to go sliding down the road then ideally you'd like to be wearing leathers but as you say, not always ideal in the freezing rain :D

Its just very hard to get an objective view of the kevlar jeans, are textile pants really that much more abrasion resistant, must see if I can find some kind of comparason's on the internet.

If you buy the really good tried and tested Kevlar Jeans they are very good. Seen many a review online praising the quality of them....but so many people looking for a quick fix and cheap options and then complain when the knee cap is sliced off after settling for a €30 pair in Aldi or the like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Never said they would.
    sorry not directly aimed at you :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Was flicking through Bike Buyers Guide earlier and there was a little write up on these jeans: http://www.ridejohndoe.com/madeforridingjeans.html

http://www.ridejohndoe.com/ProdEinz.php?pond=JDD-2005

They do say that they are waterproof which is a plus. They are sold in HD in Ballymount.

Advertisement