Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the normal way to do things?

Options
  • 19-05-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Common enough and it would be hard to complain about..
    The big thing is to watch out for consistency, I mean that different rules aren't brought in to suit different employees..
    But if they consistently use it as the decision process there is little you can do..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 13 n3llo

How do I start a new thread (noob).....
    It is work discipline related?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I dont think there is much you can do here but accept it. Where I am your years of service count for a lot, even people who are here 6yrs but who are absolutely useless still get pay increases, perks etc and the newcomers who work very hard get more and more work thrown at them its just a fact of working life Im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

To me, the situation you describe sounds like an age discrimination case waiting to happen.

But as someone said, it's a common enough way to work - although I've not heard of it being applied this rigorously before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems like a pain to administer. Can you not suggest first come is first served re: holidays would be a fairer and easier way of managing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

BostonB wrote: »
    Seems like a pain to administer. Can you not suggest first come is first served re: holidays would be a fairer and easier way of managing it.

Coming from the last person in, everyone else has a priority above them anyway..
    MAybe if a number of people would like the system changed you would have a chance.. But you may be seen as stirring things up if you go round canvassing people to speak out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

In my place it's seniority of rank that determines holidays - i.e. if a manager and a regular employee want the same week off then the manager gets it.

Promotions usually on merit - definitely not on how long somebody has been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is this a very small company, or public sector? I ask as in any private sector job I've worked in, the hardest working person is the person who gets the promotions...

Advertisement