Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

literally confused '.com'

• 19-05-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All,
    I am computer illiterate, I have no computer knowledge at all other than uploading photos to my laptop :)

I am in the 'light bulb' phase of a business idea and would like to buy a couple .com addresses..

so.... where do I start? Seriously I'm that clueless!

My 11year old son suggested Godaddy. I have just had a browse and am suprised how cheap it is! €8.99 for ten years!

Questions- after the ten years is the .com name up for grabs? or is it mine forever?
    After the ten years can I be charged extortionate renewal charges if my business is as successful globally as I intend ;):p
    Would anyone recommend this, or a different site to purchase the .com from?

Also on godaddy there is a search engine to see if your .com name already exists... I've typed in a few random names which all apparently exist which i can bid at auction for €400+ .. is it a con/scam/trick to get you to spend more??

any advice or info greatly appreciated!!
    Jo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Once you register (and renew) it's yours, doesn't matter what the domain is, or what you think it might be worth, the fee is the same. Those €400 ones are probably registered already (do a WHOIS search), in the hopes that someone really wants that name and will pay for it.

I'd go with an Irish registrar, better support (IMHO). Can't recommend any specific one though, it's against the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭omega42

I don't think is €8.99 for the 10 years, it €8.99 per year and you can register for the 10 years. as Kenny said provided you keep it renewed it's yours for life. you can shop around for the best deal's and can always move your domain name from 1 register to another so even if you went with godaddy your not tied with them for live.

Unless you really need one of those €400+ domain names (as in your biz wont work without it) I'd stay well clear.

Also keep in mind that when it comes time to set up a website you dont have to host it with the same people that you have your domain with.

PM me if you want any further help / advice

Omega

Advertisement