Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Fibre V Sky Broadband

• 19-05-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need help and advice from the experts, eircom have sent us a letter for free upgrade to their new fibre broadband and claim to offer up to 50Mb speed with no download limits.

Have looked at Sky and from what i hear they will be using eircom lines and all i will be able to get is around 11Mb speed with unlimited downloads.

The pack eircom are offering is €50 per month and included calls etc, Sky is about a tenner cheaper but im leaning towards eircom fibre. I really only download films etc would not really be using for online gaming with the exception of playing online with my PS3.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks,
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

We moved to Sky about two weeks ago and it's been a disaster so far to be honest. We were with Eircom for two years, and while their customer support wasn't great, once we finally got set up, the service worked as advertised, no connection problems while we were with them and the speed was consistent all times of the day. We moved to Sky as the package seemed great, only a small bit extra per month to get TV as well as broadband. The TV side has worked fine, but our previously perfect broadband connection is now dropping 4/5+ times a day, youtube won't load properly when it is connected etc. The customer service team in Sky have been very good in terms of dealing with our complaints/following up etc. but so far there has not been a solution to the problem (they have been reducing the speed going through the line to see if that will make it more reliable, but to date this has not worked, they're now saying that something might be wrong at the exchange.) If I had my time again, I would have stayed with Eircom and paid the extra monthly amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I'm with Sky for phone & BB. No complaints except for a few days in early April. I fully expect Sky to come on board the fibre banwagon once the dust settles. The will have to be agressive price-wise as this is the only way they will get market share. They will also have to take cognisance of the UPC factor and maybe come up with attractive bundle prices. IMHO their tarriffs for tv are a rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Sky are/were having teething problems with broadband. I think they possibly sold way more subscriptions than they'd anticipated as they've huge market reach due to being in everyone's living room.

Are things improving since the initial few weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Cheers for the feedback guys, based on this i may stay with eircom and go fibre with them. Have sky tv just thought getting the whole package with them would be good but if their broadband is dropping etc i think i will stick where i am

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

The fibre is excellent! Dont go with sky, they are terrible. Here is my speedtest with vodafone (which is using eircoms infrastructure so there is no difference in speed)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2736846486.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

The fibre is excellent! Dont go with sky, they are terrible. Here is my speedtest with vodafone (which is using eircoms infrastructure so there is no difference in speed)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2736846486.png[/QUOTE]

Do you have a rough idea of your distance from cab?

Do you have a rough idea of your distance from cab?[/QUOTE]

I'd be in and around 500m away from the nearest cabinet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I'd be in and around 500m away from the nearest cabinet

Cool. Just trying to compare distances so i can determine what i might get. I'm 200M, as the crow flies, roughly 380 as the road drives. Cheers

Cool. Just trying to compare distances so i can determine what i might get. I'm 200M, as the crow flies, roughly 380 as the road drives. Cheers

Yeah you would be getting even faster speeds than me so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

So after much back and forward with install dates im due to get the new fibre installed this coming Friday.

Anyone know what exactly they are going to do?? Are they just going to change the router or are they actually going to install something in the house that i can't do??

• Advertisement
Advertisement