Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Windy Road to Nowhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just seen DG's result there, 32:XX is some going for 10k cross country, what a run.

unbelievable run, yeah.. And he's well above his distance at it too.. Serious talent

Tuesday 5th Nov: 4.6 miles in 33:10 (7:09 pace)

Weather really cold and miserable for this one. Probably could have done without it as I may have had a bit of a cold coming on, and this didn't help matters.

Weds 6th - Weds 13th: Rest

Bit of a cold hanging over me for about a week. Considered running a couple of times, but decided that there was no real benefit, no important goals in the near future, so just took a week break. I weighed myself there a couple of weeks ago, and am thinking that 10 stone 3 pounds is a bit on the light side. Haven't been that light since I was about 15 or 16, so definitely think it might be one of the reasons why I've been getting a lot of colds this autumn/winter.

Thursday 14th Nov: 4.9 miles in 35:15 (7:15 pace)

Nice to get back on the roads after the week off. Had a bit of a spring in my step, and weather was cold, but not too windy. Felt nice.

Bought myself a pair of Elixir 8s a couple weeks ago. Think I might give them a bit of an outing in the next few days. Very exciting.

Next race looks to be the Jingle Bells 5k. There's three targets for this one.
    1. Run a PB for the 5k (17:3x).
    2. Push PConn hard enough to get him under 18, but wipe him out on the last mile. ;)
    3. Drink pints afterwards.

Objective 3 looks to be the easiest target, and the one I'll be most focussed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

If you keep missing as much training as you have been, you'll be luck to have me in sight in the last k, never mind leaving me for dead! ;)

Monday: 8 miles @ 7.37 pace

Just thought someone should post some training in this log. ;)

Go Fu%* yourself.

• Advertisement

Monday 18th Nov: 5 miles in 36 mins (7:15ish pace)

See, I am actually doing a little bit of training!! Bitter cold run home from work at 4 o'clock. Checked the temp in the car before I left it in town, and it was 3 degrees!!!

Yes, I've been doing barely any training, but I think I probably needed a bit of a mental and physical break after the hard work done all summer/autumn. But, yeah, any chance of a 17:3x run in JB is fast disappearing.. Can you smell the flesh PConn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

But, yeah, any chance of a 17:3x run in JB is fast disappearing..

Sweet, I'm not the only one so! Might see ya for the race, Athlone HM style! :cool:

Go Fu%* yourself.

That's the spirit. :cool: I know not to get over cocky, I think we've been in this situation before and you've always come out on top. Track tomorrow night?

No track tonight sorry.. Had Croke Park hours, followed by NQT course, only home at 7:20.. Who says teachers have an easy number?!!

Thurs 21 Nov: 4.7 miles in 33:20 (7:05 pace)

Bit boring really, just putting up a common as muck run home from work, but have to keep PConn honest, can't have him thinking I'm going to be a total pushover for him in a couple of weeks.

Pace pretty decent considering its 525 feet elevation gain over 4.5 miles, and was running into a bit of a breeze the whole way home. Legs feeling pretty fresh, definitely not at my peak, but not too bad either. Mileage is still pretty pathetic, so I might chance another run home tomorrow and then a 'long' run at the weekend maybe. Still haven't tried out the Elixir 8s I got a couple weeks back, I'm sure I'll get used to the questionable styling eventually.

• Advertisement

Friday 22nd Nov: 4.7 miles in 33 mins (7:02 pace)

Packed a short-sleeved T-shirt by accident, found it very cold for the first mile or so on the way home, probably ran faster to try and get heat into me. Nice evening though, love being able to get in my run on the way home from work.

Sun 24th Nov: 12.5 miles at 7:30 pace

Met with PConn and another couple of lads. Lovely conditions, cool but no wind or rain, so very nice really. PConn was struggling with the pace a lot, so he dropped back and one of the lads stayed with him to hold his hand. 8:00 pace doesn't really work for me... Enjoyed the run, first one I've done in a long while with a bit of company, and the pace was nice and easy.

Ran with the Elixir 8s for this one. Lovely runner I have to say.

How ya fixed for Jingle Bells?

Friday 22nd Nov: 4.7 miles in 33 mins (7:02 pace)

Packed a short-sleeved T-shirt by accident, found it very cold for the first mile or so on the way home, probably ran faster to try and get heat into me. Nice evening though, love being able to get in my run on the way home from work.

Sun 24th Nov: 12.5 miles at 7:30 pace

Met with PConn and another couple of lads. Lovely conditions, cool but no wind or rain, so very nice really. PConn was struggling with the pace a lot, so he dropped back and one of the lads stayed with him to hold his hand. 8:00 pace doesn't really work for me... Enjoyed the run, first one I've done in a long while with a bit of company, and the pace was nice and easy.

Ran with the Elixir 8s for this one. Lovely runner I have to say.

Cheeky bugger! I'm not like some people, feeling the need to showoff my jogging skills and race a group run! ;) As DC says, there's no medals for training! :D

blockic wrote: »
    How ya fixed for Jingle Bells?

He's screwed! ;)

Ha, honestly pconn, it wasn't me, I actually did keep trying to slow down...

Blockic, hard to know what shape I'm in, but I don't think I've lost a lot, so might still chance 17:30ish.. The runmute is all uphill so hard to gauge.. Pconn generally cr@ps himself anytime we're racing each other, so I probably don't even need to run the race at all... Bit like your dead cert sub-3

Pconn generally cr@ps himself anytime we're racing each other, so I probably don't even need to run the race at all... Bit like your dead cert sub-3

Straight to Ryan's so instead! The lads can meet us after their are done with their jog... ;)

Ha, honestly pconn, it wasn't me, I actually did keep trying to slow down...

Ha, I know, only winding you up, I seen you try to pull F back a few times!

I'm looking for an 8 day 5k plan on minimal mileage to break 17:30... Any ideas?

I'm looking for an 8 day 5k plan on minimal mileage to break 17:30... Any ideas?

Not sure if you're serious? But unfortunately no such plan exists, no session you do now will affect the outcome of the race really, best thing would be to get out as often as you can. Maybe include some strides in your easy runs, would get the legs ticking over and introduce a bit of speed back.

Nah, I'm taking the mick PConn... Been a bloody disaster of a week, haven't gotten out since Sunday, will do a bit over the weekend, and hopefully next week will be a bit more normal..

• Advertisement

Sounds like we have had the same prep for this one! :D I guess the heavy work load over the summer is taking it's toll.

Might not even make the start line yet. Will know story tomorrow at 1pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

blockic wrote: »
    Sounds like we have had the same prep for this one! :D I guess the heavy work load over the summer is taking it's toll.

Might not even make the start line yet. Will know story tomorrow at 1pm!

Slacker.

No doubt blockic, the summer training took a bit out of me. Things just been a bit busy of late at home, and can't bring myself to train on the treadmill. I generally work best when I have a few easy weeks, then restart training chomping at the bit. Haven't really figured out any intermediary goals..

You'll come for pints anyway, yeah?

Pints are a certainty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day 1-7 OFF
    Day 8 Warm up, 1x5k @ 17.29 pace, Cooldown (or pints)

:D

Fri: 29th Nov: 4.8 miles in 35:20 (7:22 pace)

Nice run home from work. Was a very awkward week with very little opportunity to organise getting out on the road, so was delighted to get out.

Sat 30th Nov: 13.1 mile jog in 1:26 (6:38 pace)

This was the best jog I've had in ages. Down in Athlone for the day, so had a couple of hours to myself, and got out onto the old N6 towards Moate. Took it handy enough the first mile, and was feeling good so hammered it on a bit. I think at one stage I might've gotten slightly above jogging pace here..

I've unquestionably lost a bit of conditioning over the past 6 weeks, but today's jog was a bit of a confidence booster. Be afraid PConn, be very afraid!!!!:mad::mad:

Monday 2nd Dec: 4.7 miles at 7:38 pace
    took it really handy on this run home from work, just didn't really feel like running fast.. That's a champion attitude I know, but better than nothing I suppose..

Tuesday and Thursday: 4.7 miles each
    Just the normal run home from work

Jingle Bells 5k race

Myself and PConn got ourselves up to the Park in decent time, went for a bit of a walk about for a while. Decided I'd be needing the toilet before the race. Got ourselves togged out, and a warm-up down to the start area. Got myself in the queue for the loos at about 10:45, thinking that'd be plenty of time. 10:55, was getting a bit worried, but decided that these races nearly always start late, and that I'd take starting at the back and working my way through over an iffy stomach.. How and ever, the race got off right on time, with me nowhere near the start line!!

Anyway, what harm, decided to make the best of it, so three minutes on the clock, I passed under the start gantry with clear road in front of me. Not for long but, had a lot of people walking dogs, pushing buggies, running with children and supporters on the footpaths, so the first half a mile was a bit of a balancing act between making it through the crowds, not losing too much time, but not spending too much energy getting through the masses!! Fun stuff!!

Once we got onto Chesterfield Avenue, I swung onto the right hand side of the road where, for some reason I could not understand, nobody else was running, and got myself moving freely for the first time. The first mile clicked up on the watch at 5:52!! Nasty!!

Kept moving along at a decent clip, keeping myself on the outside of all the other runners in clear air. Didn't really notice anything resembling a hill or a breeze, just kept 7f other people. When we got off Chesterfield onto the narrower roads, I had to start watching what I was doing again, moving my way through other runners. Got a couple of shout outs from some of the runners in our club who were obviously highly amused, wondering what the hell I was doing running like a crazed elf, complete with Santa's hat and green shoes!!! Second mile clicked in 5:41. Better, but not hectic either.

Started thinking now about what the ghost of PConn had been running 3 minutes up the road ahead of me, and knew I needed to run a good last mile to run 17:3x, which would be needed to get into contention. Upped the effort a good bit, felt absolutely brilliant to be honest, and was loving the hard bit of running chasing down both visible people and the long-gone figure of PConn. Course was downhill at this stage and just as well, because I started getting a bit tired with about 2.7 miles on the watch. Mile 3 in 5:23. Brilliant.

Noooo, a sharp left hand turn and a squad of people right in front of me all lining themselves up for a long sprint to the line. Worked my way through a few of them, but lost the momentum a bit. Over the line with 20:23 on the clock. I had promised a MP run!!! My watch and chip time was 17:36..

Caught up with PConn062, who was delighted with his run, and even more delighted to hear he'd beaten me by 1 second!!! After a bit of hanging around, and a warmdown, we did the real culchie bit and got lost in the big smoke, before eating a bit of cake and then heading off for a couple of pints. Nice catch up with blockie and a few of the other boardies over drinks and a fairly epic lunch platter with meno.

Delighted with finishing off the season with another PB.

Sun 8th - Thurs 12th Dec Rest/Laziness/No running

Fri 13th Dec: 4.7 miles in 32:xx (6:5x pace)

After the week of no running due to various reasons, felt like letting loose on the way home from school. New road surface on the old N1 out of Drogheda making me very happy, felt great to be letting rip a bit going up the hills.

Sat 14th Dec: 5k in 18:00 (5:4x pace)

This was a gravity-assisted, wind-assisted, Guinness-assisted run to the pub to pick up my car after the Dunleer AC Christmas party. Crazy wind, but it was only into my face for about half a mile, before I had the advantage of being pushed along for 2 miles. Quads probably took a bit of a hammering doing this, but good to get them turning over fast at what should be something close to my 5k pace.

Sun 15th Dec: 12 miles in 1:22 (6:55 pace)

Was up in Monaghan for this one, took in a nice route that heads over through Roslea, Co. Fermanagh, before looping back over the back roads around the border area. Took it handy enough on the first mile as legs felt a bit heavy from yesterday, but despite running into a headwind, the pace dropped down to 7:00 pace. A few sharpish uphill sections kept things interesting, but really enjoyed tipping along at 6:4x pace for a few miles.

• Advertisement

Tues 17th Dec: 4.7 miles in 35 mins or so.

Was fairly cold and miserable running home that day, and just took it nice and handy. Legs were a little bit tight after the couple of harder days running over the weekend.

Thurs 19th Dec: 10 miles in 68:49 mins (6:53 pace)

Was up in Monaghan for a family funeral for a couple of days, and got myself out of bed just after 8 to do this. Popped outside to grab the runners from the car only to realise we were having the first snow of the winter. It seemed mile enough and just sort of floating about, so I though I'd give it a lash anyway. I really enjoy running in snow, find it quite peaceful or something.

About a mile into the run, I turned North heading for the hills. The wind picked up a lot and it was blizzard-like conditions for a bit. Pace was just under 7:00 pace and felt fairly comfortable. Out towards Knockatallon and Bragan Mountain, there was definitely much more snow lying on the road, but thankfully the wind died down a bit, as I was actually getting pretty cold. Turning south again, I picked the pace up again, and ran 6:30-6:40ish for the last 4 miles. Really enjoyed it.

I'll take a rest day tomorrow, then hopefully put together a couple of reasonably decent weeks over Christmas.

Advertisement