Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Windy Road to Nowhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Friday 2nd August: 6 miles in 45:20 (7:33 avg pace)

Easy paced run to loosen up the legs. Been feeling a bit stiff all day, might be down to the MP run the other evening, or possibly that I've been bashing away in a pair of runners that are well and truly fecked. Will see how I'm feeling tomorrow, wouldn't mind getting in a run of about 10 miles or so before heading for Croke Park. Big day for Monaghan.

Saturday 3rd August: 7.5 miles in 56:45 (7:34 pace)

A few handy miles this morning. Wore the Green Silence to see how they'd feel for Monday's race. Happy with how they felt. Was heading to Croke Park for the matches today, so got myself across the city to the Expo to pick up my race number. Didn't seem overly busy, got in and out in under 5 minutes complete with two very loud-coloured T-shirts and a bag of Tayto. Did a good run from the Mater down to Croker to get into the match on time after spending 20 minutes trying to park the bloody car. Unfortunately, Monaghan just couldn't deal legally with Sean Kavanagh, who in turn should've been sent off. Anyway, we threw away a few scores, and didn't reach the heights as the Ulster final. Can't be overly disappointed after winning our first title in 25 years. Hopefully won't have to wait as long again for success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

A few handy miles this morning. Wore the Green Silence to see how they'd feel for Monday's race. Happy with how they felt. Was heading to Croke Park for the matches today, so got myself across the city to the Expo to pick up my race number. Didn't seem overly busy, got in and out in under 5 minutes complete with two very loud-coloured T-shirts and a bag of Tayto. Did a good run from the Mater down to Croker to get into the match on time after spending 20 minutes trying to park the bloody car. Unfortunately, Monaghan just couldn't deal legally with Sean Kavanagh, who in turn should've been sent off. Anyway, we threw away a few scores, and didn't reach the heights as the Ulster final. Can't be overly disappointed after winning our first title in 25 years. Hopefully won't have to wait as long again for success.

Parallel parking's a beatch, ain't it!:D

Tough luck today though, Cavanagh was quoted as 'unfortunately it's in the rules' as a reason he got a yellow rather than red. Of course he conveniently forgot that it was his choice to pull the Monaghan lad down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Rules of the game say otherwise!!

Ah yeah, I know, rules of the game, etc. etc. but in most other sports, a tackle like that would be deemed a sending off, I suppose the rules are more to blame. However, K Hughes got the line for two tackles, neither of which were cynical. Its a pity that it was Cavanagh again involved in an incident like this, the guy is a serious athlete, these type of things let him down a bit. In the end though, Tyrone were just cleverer and more steetwise, Monaghan largely have themselves to blame.

• Advertisement

Pre-race

Got myself out of the bed at 6:30 for a quick bowl of cereal. Would usually have a 3 hour rule, but couldn't bring myself to be setting the alarm for any earlier than half 6 on a Bank Holiday Monday. Was out the door by about 7, and parked up the Quays at 7:45. Did plenty of stretching before running the mile up to Stephen's Green. Big crowd about, I found the elite warm-up area quite entertaining, it was like there were a load of prize bullocks at a mart. The weird agricultural theme continued with the announcer issuing us towards our pens. Continued with my stretching, before catching up with an old college buddy I hadn't seen in over 10 years. Was coming up on 8:30 fairly quickly, looked like we'd start on time.

Miles 1-4

I found myself probably a little bit further back than I should have been at the start, but it didn't really care too much. I know people generally go off too fast in these situations, and I really prefer to ease my way into races, so was happy enough to sit back and just take it easy on the first mile. Started moving on a bit down the Quays on the second mile, but not really pushing it either, just happy to sit under 6:20 pace at this point to see how the legs were playing ball. They seemed happy enough. Mile 3 was a bit of a drag up Chesterfield Avenue. By this stage, there were lots of small little groups forming, and I decided to just happily tag onto the back of one of them. During the 4th mile, I decided it was all a bit too comfortable for me, and starting moving a bit. Met Blockic and Ecoli at this point, had a quick introduction and sharing of thoughts on how we were all feeling.
    Splits: 6:20 / 6:15 / 6:24 / 6:17

Mid-race 5-8

When we turned off Chesterfield Avenue, I immediately found a bit of speed. Blockic and his clubmate were pushing on too, and I think the three of us made some good ground at this stage. It was pretty much downhill for a good bit now, so the pace dropped down to the 6:00s for the next couple of miles. Somewhere around this point, I started thinking about what I actually wanted from the race. A PB was always the obvious minimum target, but I suppose I was thinking 1:20:xx was possible. I wasn't sure that the fast pace at miles 5, 6 and 7 was that clever but decided to just go with it. I felt fairly good, so no point being a slave to the stop watch.
    Splits: 6:03 / 6:00 / 6:01 / 5:57

Miles 9-13

Up the fairly nasty hill at Chapelizod, I started making a bit of a move. Well, I probably maintained pace more like, but I was catching and passing a few people now. I always dislike that part of the Dublin marathon, but it didn't bother me today. I think at this point I started thinking about the possibility of a sub 1:20 finish. I figured it might take doing the last three miles in 5:50 pace. An American runner was running alongside me for all these last 4 miles, and I think we drove each other on. Passed out lots of people, and kept the pace strong, 5:54 for mile 11, 5:50 for mile 12. I'd been hoping to keep something in reserve for the last mile, and was fairly sure there were no more hills coming up. My breathing starting getting just a bit laboured on mile 13, but I knew I could keep working hard at this point, even if I was pushing closer to 5k pace. I don't actually recall seeing a sign for Mile 13, but my watch said I'd ran it in 5:39. This was going to be close. Turned the corner, and could see the gantry nudging towards 1:19:50. No matter, I'd been a few seconds getting across the line. Powered hard through the line and crossed for a finishing time of 1:19:52
    Splits: 6:04 / 6:07 / 5:54 / 5:50 / 5:39 / 5:20 for the last bit

Post race

Was delighted with how this went for me. I wasn't totally knackered after it, was able to actually stay upright, which is a novelty for me at the end of races! Hung around for a bit, chatting to the boards runners, and a couple of others. Hadn't really gone into the race targeting sub 1:20, and to be honest, a year ago, I wasn't sure that I'd ever get my half marathon time down that much. Looking at the splits, I actually went under 60 minutes for the last 10 miles of the race today too. Another time I thought was years away.

This pretty much marks the end of the base building phase, and while its not been exactly as planned at the start of the log, I've obviously done something right. Despite a couple of little niggles, I've kept up fairly decent mileage, not dropping below 50 per week.

Looking forward, I know I've plenty of work to do if sub 2:50 is to be possible. That work starts this week. I've given myself the best possible opportunity, hopefully I can push on now, and give Chicago my best shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great running today RFR and nice to meet you. I wasn't sure about the speedy miles 5-7 either but I couldn't stop the legs so went with it!

Worked out in the end! Looking forward to Chicago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Great result today RFR. That's two quality halfs you've knocked out this year without too much specific training (not too much training at all for the first one:P). Will you be sticking to the usual interval/Medium length MP run/Long run pattern for your specific phase? I stole that from you a while back and it's a great way to go in my opinion.

Great result today RFR. That's two quality halfs you've knocked out this year without too much specific training (not too much training at all for the first one:P). Will you be sticking to the usual interval/Medium length MP run/Long run pattern for your specific phase? I stole that from you a while back and it's a great way to go in my opinion.

cheers KU.. Yeah, I'll not vary much from the tried and tested for the next few weeks, altering the pace only probably.. Also, I plan on continuing with running every day as I think that's contributed to the recent good results. All going well, I'll be in a new job in a totally new career by end of august so September might not be easy.. Take it as it comes. You didn't run today did you?

cheers KU.. Yeah, I'll not vary much from the tried and tested for the next few weeks, altering the pace only probably.. Also, I plan on continuing with running every day as I think that's contributed to the recent good results. All going well, I'll be in a new job in a totally new career by end of august so September might not be easy.. Take it as it comes. You didn't run today did you?

• Advertisement

That's good to hear. I'll be following this log with interest over the next few months. I wasn't running today because I was down in Tipp for the weekend. My main focus for the summer will be the 10 mile at the end of the month. I haven't been training brilliantly but I've had a few good races so we'll see how things go. What's next up on the agenda for yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Jaysus, I'm being left well behind by my fellow Chicago runners! Nice running today.

That's good to hear. I'll be following this log with interest over the next few months. I wasn't running today because I was down in Tipp for the weekend. My main focus for the summer will be the 10 mile at the end of the month. I haven't been training brilliantly but I've had a few good races so we'll see how things go. What's next up on the agenda for yourself?

looks pretty impressive on your log for a man not training brilliantly.. I'm probably gonna do a low key 5 mile race up home in Monaghan next Sat, will try to get the Monaghan 10 miler or Athlone half in.. Definitely good to get racing, great for keeping sharp

Peckham wrote: »
    Jaysus, I'm being left well behind by my fellow Chicago runners! Nice running today.

ah, I think there'll be a nice little team of us dragging each other along.. Long way to go yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Cracking run RFR, that's a big step up for you. Just goes to show what good solid mileage week after week can help you achieve, something I'm only coming to realise now. Onwards and upwards from here (fancy a 1500m race in Drogheda on Thursday night?? ;)).

pconn062 wrote: »
    Cracking run RFR, that's a big step up for you. Just goes to show what good solid mileage week after week can help you achieve, something I'm only coming to realise now. Onwards and upwards from here (fancy a 1500m race in Drogheda on Thursday night?? ;)).

not a hope, nothing under 5 miles til October, plus I can't set myself up like a lamb for the slaughter now can I? Yeah, consistent training working well, haven't done anything particularly special apart from some of the faster stuff during the hot weather.. Still think I need more speed endurance. So far so good anyway..

Sunday 4th August: 2.5 miles in 17:25 (6:59 avg pace)

This was just a quick run down to the local football pitch and back for a family sports day. My two kids competed excellently in a Jr Infants and Under category, with my daughter being second girl, and my son without a shadow of a doubt being the fastest 2 year old in the parish, despite escaping disqualification for the most blatant false start in history. There was to be a Daddys race, but I was informed it was a Sack race, and didn't fancy this the day before a proper goal race, so backed out of that one.

Monday 5th August: 15.5 miles including Half marathon

Tuesday 6th August: 5 miles in 39:45 (7:57 pace)

Very handy run on the treadmill this evening. My whole body felt a bit sore after yesterday. Working in a field for 4.5 hours pulling ragwort probably isn't the ideal race warmdown, but I suppose it served as a bit of a core workout. Took it very easy today.

Not sure what the plans are for the rest of the week, going to go down to Dunleer to meet up with Team Carrie for the first time this year. If I feel relatively normal tomorrow evening, I'll do a few miles by myself beforehand, before running with a couple of the lads who are targeting around about 3 hours in the marathon. If I feel abnormal tomorrow on the other hand, I'll do a long run on Thursday instead.

I've a 5 mile race at home in Monaghan on Saturday that's a fairly low key affair. Will, I thought it was last year until I lined up beside Simon Ryan on the startline!! Finished 4th in it last year, and 1st local, and its really the only running event of any sort in my home village, so like supporting it. Ideally, I want to get a long run in this week of 18-20 miles, so the timing's not great. If it doesn't happen tomorrow or Thursday, I'll have to do it Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

Sunday 4th August: 2.5 miles in 17:25 (6:59 avg pace)
    Working in a field for 4.5 hours pulling ragwort probably isn't the ideal race warmdown, but I suppose it served as a bit of a core workout. Took it very easy today.
    QUOTE]
    that's tough work, i remember doing that as a child, for some reason we don't do it anymore.
    actually i've mixed feelings about resting after a race or working.
    Usually i do a bit arond the farm & loosen out but as the race was on in dublin, i was stuck in the car for a few hours & babysitting then which involved lying on the couch.:D i actually feel a lot worse for it!
    so maybe you did the right thing

It can work either way for me too. The couple of days working down in the bog in Galway after racing a 3,000 a few weeks ago definitely messed me up a bit, hamstring and groin were sore for a good week after that. I'd generally be of the view of keeping the body moving, be it walking about or doing a bit of physical work.

What animals do you keep in the field where you used to have ragwort? I think sheep will eat it, cattle will trample over a lot of it but not eat it, and horses just avoid it like the plague that it is. Feckin ba$tard of a weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

no experience of working in a bog but by all accounts it's the toughest work you could be doing so that might account for feeling crap. yeah we keep sheep.

for some reason there doesn't seem to be as much around anymore.
    i'm sure it's still compulsory to rid fields of it but years ago, it was very much frowned upon to have a field with it, we all had to do our bit, hated that job the most.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 7th August: 10.4 miles in 1:12 (6:56 pace)

Took a bit of time to plan my week yesterday, and decided that the half marathon was still a bit fresh to be doing a 20 mile LSR yesterday. I don't think the 5 mile race on Saturday is going to take too much out of me, so I'll do a long run Sunday, probably a point to point on a reasonably flat course for once.

Anyway, off to Dunleer, did the route of the 4 mile race myself as a bit of a warm-up. After the first mile of 7:25, the pace dropped easily down to 7:0x for the next 3, feeling very comfortable. After a good group stretching session, a group of 4 of us headed off. Nobody was really committing to what they wanted to do on the session, although one of the lads had asked me beforehand to do a decent tempo pace. After the long drag up the hill for the first mile, we all started moving on a bit, everyone pretty comfortable. Did four good tempo miles, with the group all hanging in there together. A slow mile cool down on the track when we went back, followed by cakes and biscuits and a good catch up with the group. Splits for the tempo miles were 6:38 / 6:26 / 6:06 / 6:11

Easy running today and tomorrow for definite to keep myself fresh as possible for Saturday. Will probably be in with a chance of a top 3 finish, depending on who shows up, but very looking forward to the spread afterwards, which was immense last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I heard you near murdered the lads last night! Make sure to keep an eye that you're not overcooking it A, a hard race on Monday followed by a tempo run last night and then another race on Saturday. Just something to keep in mind cause that's a tough week, I would have taken a very easy week after racing a half on Monday.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. To be honest, the tempo miles felt very comfortable for me, only the last two were an effort really and that being downhill, with the 6:26 being marathon-paced, so didn't take a huge amount out of me.. Will take it easy today and tomorrow. I'd a couple of very easy weeks there, so the body is feeling well up to a bit of proper work now.

Thursday 8th August: 5 miles in 39:45 (7:57 pace)

Very easy recovery run on the treadmill.

Friday 9th August: 5 miles in 39:35 (7:55 pace)

Groundhog day. On the treadmill again. In fairness, its a great way of keeping me running slowly.

Saturday 10th August: 4 miles in 29 mins (7:13 pace)

Met up with one of the lads whose been coming back from injury, thinking this would be an easier paced run. Pace was a small bit quicker than planned for me, but I wouldn't consider slowing someone down whose just getting back into regular running. Nice little hilly route around Tullyallen and was handed a fine dinner afterwards. 3 dinners in one day. Body felt a bit sore after spending 9 hours straight painting Creosote on a fence.

5 mile race is on today at 4. I'm 100% recovered after Monday's half, feel much fresher today than I did Monday morning. I'm not sure what sort of a time I'll run, the field will likely be a bit thin. If I'm fighting for a 1, 2 or 3, it'll likely push me on, so something under 29 minutes could be possible. Should be a bit of fun anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Way to keep us hanging....

blockic wrote: »
    Way to keep us hanging....

27.54 for 3rd place, had to fight hard for it, but worth the effort. Going to Croke park tomorrow, so no 20 mile run, which is probably for the best. Will write proper race report later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

27.54 for 3rd place, had to fight hard for it, but worth the effort. Going to Croke park tomorrow, so no 20 mile run, which is probably for the best. Will write proper race report later

Mcmillan says 1:17:54 for HM based on that. I am not going to let you away with your predicted time on the Athlone half thread :rolleyes:

Background
    This is a 5 mile race organised by my old football club up in Scotstown. A lot of local runners help in organising the event so its well run. Last year Simon Ryan won, I was 4th in just under 30 minutes, so was targeting a time of 28:xx, and hoping for a shot at one of the top 3 positions. When I went down to the football field, I spotted S Ryan back, and a talented junior, Conor Duffy. I realised I'd be probably fighting for 3rd. A lot of Blayney Rockets runners had showed up too, so it looked like a more competitive field up front. Three of the lads from the club were on the County team that won the Ulster title, Darren and Kieran Hughes and Rory Beggan. They were the race starters and we were soon ready for the off.

The Race
    The first mile or so of the race has a lot of small little up and down hills, none of them tough, but with the downhills, there'l always the chance of going off too fast. As expected, SR and CD hit the front early and headed off in the distance. A few of the lads from Blayney camped themselves on my shoulder, while another runner who I didn't know got out fast, and built a bit of a gap on me quickly. So, I was in 4th under pressure from a lot of quick runners after the first mile in 5:37.

I figured if I could keep the fast pace for another mile or so, the lads from Blayney might drop back, which they did on another little hilly section near Hollywood lake. I thought the guy in front would start slowing, but no sign of it, as we went through the 2nd mile in 5:41.

Over the course of the 3rd mile, I started closing the gap on the lad in front, which had opened up to about 30 metres. It took me a full mile to catch him, he was still full of running, so certainly wasn't going to make it easy for me. Passed through that mile in 5:37, and when I moved up to third, tried to open a bit of a gap. By the end of the 4th mile, which again was 5:37, I had about 30-40 metres of a lead, but was really starting to suffer with the pace.

I stole a couple of quick glances behind to check if the gap was widening or was he closing, but it seemed to sort of stay at that 30 odd metres. Running past my parents house, my two kids and father gave me a big shout out. 1/2 a mile to go. The very short hill up into the village nearly buckled me, but the support from the locals gave me enough to try to push on again. Down a hill over the river and back up another hill to push for the finish. Legs, breathing, everything pretty much screwed, but a glance at the watch and I knew I might get under 28. Pushed hard for the line, and finished in 27:56 for 3rd place

I suspect the course may be slightly short. Miles 1-4 seemed right, with the Garmin giving .95 for the last mile, which took me 5:24. I think I measured 4.98 for the course last year, and Mrs RFR measured 4.99 for it, so not too sure. The organisers are pretty sure its measured accurately, but anyway..

Caught up with Simon, who had ran a course record and PB of 24:50. Mrs RFR and I missed out on fastest married couple by about 10 seconds, and Mamo RFR, aiming for under the hour, ran 51 minutes! Caught up with loads of people after the race, and took home a little trophy and a few euro. Very successful day.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Mcmillan says 1:17:54 for HM based on that. I am not going to let you away with your predicted time on the Athlone half thread :rolleyes:

...and he's training for the marathon so the time he gets for the half should be better than that predicted from his 5 mile time on McMillan. Anything below 77.30 and you're just setting yourself soft targets;).

• Advertisement

Bog off the lot of ye! The course was short, 1:17 wouldn't be remotely realistic, maybe, just maybe 1:18:50 at a push

Advertisement