Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Identification?

• 19-05-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Can anyone please identify this tree (attached)? There are gaps in the hedge as some have died so I must buy some new ones.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Beech, but maybe a close up of the leaf and bud to be extra sure in case its Hornbeam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Definitely beech, leaves look glossy - beech, unglossy - hornbeam. Common hedging plants, both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Looks like beech.

I'm not even sure the ones without leaves have died. In my own beech hedge we have patches that start their leaves much later than the others. Odd, but normal nevertheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Beech, and I don't think those other ones are dead either. Penty of beech aren't out yet.

On tree identification, if you have a smartphone or ipad, there is a nifty app called LeafSnapHD. You take a photo of the leaf with your phone and it identifies the tree from a database.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 greenday1

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement