Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP Issue

• 19-05-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

I was recently setting up a secuirty dvr from a friend and it got to a point where I had to open some of the ports so they could check it with their phone.

Now, I'm keeping the name of the ISP out of this for now simply because if I'm mistaken or have the wrong idea, I don't want any negative press going towards them. I will see however that they are a small and sort of local only service provider.

Anyway, own to the issue.

I noticed straight away that the router was set up very weirdly and in fact wasn't even set up as a router. The ISP delivers the internet with a wireless antenna on the roof that I assume needs line of site(based on their website).

Anyway, they had an Ethernet cable with POE coming straight from the antena on the roof going directly into the router(POE adapter for power), but not the WAN port but rather a normal port. They had also disabled DHCP. I found this part very odd.

Anyway, I wanted to see what was going on and found out that the Ethernet cable coming in was handling the DHCP side of things and assumed there was another router in the house or something, but there wasn't.

So basically (and I was shocked by this) They are not actually providing her with a public IP at all, in fact she is basically connected to a router at there end. She was getting a local IP address(192.168.xxx.xxx)

Basically, I just wanted anyone here who has seen this before or any info they can shared on the legality of this.

I can't imagine ever accepting an ISP to provide be with a local area network IP and route my traffic before it gets to me. She has no access to port forward, firewall,

Sorry if I wrote this in a wired way and will clarify anything if I left something out, so ask any questions if needs be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thor wrote: »
    So basically (and I was shocked by this) They are not actually providing her with a public IP at all, in fact she is basically connected to a router at there end. She was getting a local IP address(192.168.xxx.xxx)

Basically, I just wanted anyone here who has seen this before or any info they can shared on the legality of this.

Nothing illegal there, unless they explicitly promised and charged for an external IP address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

sounds normal. Like any wimax provider.

The Modem is the thingy on the roof which connects to their wimax network. And the router in the house just routes the traffic from the station on the top of the house to the internal network.

Wimax is not comparable to DSL. Its more like a wireless routing from their network which or wherever it is to you. Consider it as a Wifi (wireless lan) just with a larger distance. All outgoing traffic and ports , etc are managed by the firewall at the end (which is the provider)

Even under DSl you will get a NAT address from your ISP who will translate to the public internet.

If you really need the external IP address then http://meineipadresse.de/ But this might be a shared IP for loads of outgoing systems.

I used to be with a wireless provider in Kerry who assigned private IP addresses unless you specifically requested a public IP and you had to be on a business package to do so. They give public IPs to everyone now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

That's the thing, they do advertise that every customer gets a public IP address.
    Public IP address provided to every customer

As i said, I wasn't sure about how normal this is, but personally I had never seen it done this way before(with clearwire, Irish broadband or Wimax) They have always provided a direct public IP, as in if you plug the Ethernet directly into the computer, it will have the public IP address in it's lan properties, but seeing a local area IP in there with the direct connection looks fishy. I would understand it with shared broadband with say a college dorm or something, but she isn't.

Either way, they advertise it that every customer gets a public IP address and that's black and white on there site for the specific package my friend is on, so either way, she isn't exactly getting what she paid for!

In that case it does sound dodgy. Possibly false advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Thor wrote: »
    Anyway, own to the issue.

I noticed straight away that the router was set up very weirdly and in fact wasn't even set up as a router. The ISP delivers the internet with a wireless antenna on the roof that I assume needs line of site(based on their website).

Anyway, they had an Ethernet cable with POE coming straight from the antena on the roof going directly into the router(POE adapter for power), but not the WAN port but rather a normal port. They had also disabled DHCP. I found this part very odd.

Anyway, I wanted to see what was going on and found out that the Ethernet cable coming in was handling the DHCP side of things and assumed there was another router in the house or something, but there wasn't.

I can't imagine ever accepting an ISP to provide be with a local area network IP and route my traffic before it gets to me. She has no access to port forward, firewall,

Sorry if I wrote this in a wired way and will clarify anything if I left something out, so ask any questions if needs be.

One possible setup :

The yoke on the roof is set up as a router :
    -it has a public address on its "outside" interface
    -is doing NAT,
    on its "inside" interface it has :
    - DHCP handing out 192.168.x.y addresses

If it was into the WAN port of the little router indoors, there'd just be a mess of double nat n so on - wouldn't make any sense.

Why not just have the yoke on the roof be transparent ?

If someone plugs the cable from the roof into their laptop, sets IP of laptop = something else important, much joy will be had

As usual, loads of ways around it

or :

The yoke on the roof is transparent and it is basically like everyone is sitting in her house sharing her internet.

Should be easy enough to suss:

Connect laptop directly to cable from roof and look for other computers trying to make friends with it : SMB and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

gctest50 wrote: »
    One possible setup :

The yoke on the roof is set up as a router :
    -it has a public address on its "outside" interface
    -is doing NAT,
    on its "inside" interface it has :
    - DHCP handing out 192.168.x.y addresses

If it was into the WAN port of the little router indoors, there'd just be a mess of double nat n so on - wouldn't make any sense.

Why not just have the yoke on the roof be transparent ?

If someone plugs the cable from the roof into their laptop, sets IP of laptop = something else important, much joy will be had

As usual, loads of ways around it

or :

The yoke on the roof is transparent and it is basically like everyone is sitting in her house sharing her internet.

Should be easy enough to suss:

Connect laptop directly to cable from roof and look for other computers trying to make friends with it : SMB and so on

I was thinking that aswell, I was checking to see if there was any configuration page that I could access to see(going by default gateway) but there was nothing, or at least nothing I could find.

Funny enough, I did connect the Ethernet directly to a laptop and run wireshark and did spot some "who is using this IP* tell this IP"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The yoke on the roof may have a different subnet altogether for management and will only respond to on its "outside" interface

few manuals and stuff :

ftp://ftp.wll.cz/instal_dsk/BNet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moving for now to the Broadband forum

dudara

Advertisement