Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi...?

Options
  • 19-05-2013 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Has anyone ever made sushi before? It seems making the rice requires the most attention. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Yeah proper sushi rice can be labour intensive, it needs to be washed, soaked and cooked in stages. For sashimi the fish should be very, very fresh or frozen rapidly after being caught.
    If you're in Dublin hodges & figs on Dawson street have a good Japanese/sushi section in their cookbook section.
    The Asia Market on Drury Street (near the corner with fade street) has all the supplies you'd need including frozen sashimi and rice flavouring/seasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sineadmc701

Ah what a shame, I'm in Clare so I'm just getting whatever ingredients are available in my local Dunnes.
    I plan to just make simple maki sushi, with some combination/variation of cucumber, avocado, red pepper and smoked salmon as fillings.
    I have the sushi rice, white rice vinegar and nori seaweed. I'll just be going by youtube videos or allrecipes.com videos. I wonder is it easy to mess up the rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Hush_Puppy

Someone made sushi in the cooking club, here's the link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78180638

They didn't use raw fish and they posted pictures as a guide.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If you ever want to see what Sushi at the highest level can be like (and the dedication to its art) I suggest you watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi, bit be warned, don't watch it when you're hungry

Wow that's fantastic, thanks both of you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've made sushi at home with Tesco and Dunnes ingredients. Of course it's not anywhere close to the real deal (Tokyo, NYC or London) but it's still good.

Done. Happy with how it came out for a first attempt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I make Sushi all the time, here in Dublin.

The rice is not all that difficult. You need to wash and soak it, but other than that, its pretty straight forward. Once the rice is cooked I generally put a tea towel under the lid for 30 minutes to take a little more moisture out of it.

The its just a mix of Vinegar, sugar and sake (can be omitted). And boom, you have sushi rice.

The real problem is trying to get sashimi grade tuna. If you ring up Kish in Smithfield, they sometimes have some, but you probably wont get the centre loin cut. That means its difficult to make perfect looking nigiiri with tuna draped perfectly over it. That said, you really dont need much. I bought €9 worth of fish recently (6 prawns, tuna and salmon) and i got probably 12 (6 pieces each) maki rolls, 30 nigiiri out of it. So its cheap as.

Our Salmon is top notch quality, I generally buy 1 darne (I look for the piece where I can get a decent rectangle of flesh). Use the rectangle for the nigiiri and the rest for the rolls.

the prawns are annoying, skewer them first and cook them in boiling water, shell, devein, slice down the middle leaving the tail intact. pernickety work, but they look and taste great.

My last effort.....BJcO0iNCYAE9Bk4.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Ah what a shame, I'm in Clare so I'm just getting whatever ingredients are available in my local Dunnes.
    I plan to just make simple maki sushi, with some combination/variation of cucumber, avocado, red pepper and smoked salmon as fillings.
    I have the sushi rice, white rice vinegar and nori seaweed. I'll just be going by youtube videos or allrecipes.com videos. I wonder is it easy to mess up the rice?

The only thing you cant probably get is Sashimi grade tuna. And to be honest, when I first started making it, 3/4 years ago, I couldnt get it then either. I just tried to get the best piece of tuna, I could find. It needs to be that darker red loin part without the 'rings' of fat.

I've never worried about whether the fish has been pre frozen or not. I just look at it and purchase if I feel its right. Tuna is all imported so the fishmonger is just passing it along.

in clare you will get fantastic prawns, salmon, mackarel and nearly everything else....it shouldnt scupper your attempts at all.

Advertisement