Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casually Infergus - 1st June - Tolka Bar

Options
  • 20-05-2013 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Right, I got this booked on 1st June (Sat) for 4-12

It's located in the Tolka Bar in Drumcondra. We have the whole place to ourselves.

https://www.facebook.com/TheTolkaBar

There's going to be a free BBQ and cheap drinks, renting the venue is free but I'd like to charge 5 euro fee anyway to raise money for the community pot.

They're also providing us with screens/consoles (including a SNES) and an arcade cabinet (not sure what game it is though but I'll be scoping the place this week to check the venue out). They also have a projector if we want to get hype matches going.

They seem really eager to work with us and if it goes well, I'll make this a regular venue for "casually inferguses"

And this time, it's for real :P

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

We should hold tournaments. I'm having tournament withdrawl!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Baby steps Doom, baby steps.

Baby steps don't help the 7 or 8 people I have asking me when our next tournament is on youtube :(

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Right, I got this booked on 1st June (Sat) for 4-12pm.

It's located in the Tolka Bar in Drumcondra. We have the whole place to ourselves.

Nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

Baby steps don't help the 7 or 8 people I have asking me when our next tournament is on youtube :(

this is still a great opportunity for new ppl to meet the scene and have a laugh. we could organise some "round robin" for everyone to face everyone else at least once just to give new players the chance to meet and greet/ be welcomed by us.

awesome stuff Fergus, i look forward to it. im always willing to lend my xbox with ae/marvel if needed.

from 4am?!

• Advertisement

Ok so the arcade cabinet apparently has 800 games on it including SF.

One at a time pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

https://www.facebook.com/TheTolkaBar

There's going to be a free BBQ

free BBQ

FREE BBQ

I stopped reading here and confirmed myself as attending

Corrected time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

2gen wrote: »
    we could organise some "round robin" for everyone to face everyone else at least once just to give new players the chance to meet and great/ be welcomed by us.

Like FGC speed dating.

I approve.

Ah pants, there's a big chance I can't be there, something on that weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Ah pants, there's a big chance I can't be there, something on that weekend.

I know, me too. :(

D:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I have the first of June off. This could be a goer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭trecs

Computer games, barbecue and Boooze - what else can you ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

trecs wrote: »
    Computer games, barbecue and Boooze - what else can you ask for?

strippers.

ayjayirl wrote: »
    strippers.

surely we can arrange that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

Strippers? I might have to make my way down to this.

I was just at the venue to put finishing touches on the deal and to check out the venue, it's pretty nice, there's loads of space for maximum 30-40 and there's decent areas where we can have setups, they have 3 TVs so we'd have to provide the monitors from the Exchange and our own consoles. The staff are very friendly as well and very eager to work with us.

The arcade cab has SFII and I think it has the Alpha series on it as well amongst loads of other games I didn't check properly.

The BBQ isn't free, it's going to be roughly 50 euro (for the food and service) so if people'd like to chip in an extra 3 euro at most per head for decent amount of food, feel free to do so. For those not up for the BBQ, there's a Tesco that's like a minute away. Think it's gonna be burgers and hotdogs.

They're gonna promote the event on their FB page.

They're gonna see how this event goes and if there's a next time, maybe a deal for cheaper food/drinks can be worked out.

It's like 20 minutes walk from Drumcondra Rail Station.

4-12, 1st June, whole place to ourselves, 5 euro a head (for community pot) + optional extra 2/3 euros for BBQ if you want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Easier to get a bus from the city centre for most people I'd say. Get the 11, 11a, 11b, 16, 16a, 41, 41a, 41b or 41c and get off on Drumcondra Road at Kennedy's/Fagan's. Leaves you a bit closer than the train and would be less hassle to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Easier to get a bus from the city centre for most people I'd say. Get the 11, 11a, 11b, 16, 16a, 41, 41a, 41b or 41c and get off on Drumcondra Road at Kennedy's/Fagan's. Leaves you a bit closer than the train and would be less hassle to get.

13 either :) And aye, getting off at Fagan's is much closer to the venue than Drumcondra Rail Station for anyone who doesn't know the area.

• Advertisement

It'll be just at most 30 mins walk from where I live and work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

I must go to this.

Lythero wrote: »
    I must go to this.

Since they have a Wii there for our use, I'll bring the bits for a Melee set-up, and afterwards you can change your youtube channel name to "Link-3-O'd-ForFreeRi"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

whens injustice? :pac:

Always injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

When's Mahvel? :pac:

Fixed your post :P

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Since they have a Wii there for our use, I'll bring the bits for a Melee set-up, and afterwards you can change your youtube channel name to "Link-3-O'd-ForFreeRi"

Silly Dave; Melee's for whiny bitches that think Smash Bros is actually a competitively acceptable fighter.

Brawl's the real man's game.

I'll bring some extra Gamecube pads so that you and two other players can 3v1 me. THEN you might stand a chance.

Lythero wrote: »
    Silly Dave; Melee's for whiny bitches that think Smash Bros is actually a competitively acceptable fighter.

Brawl's the real man's game.

I'll bring some extra Gamecube pads so that you and two other players can 3v1 me. THEN you might stand a chance.

From a pure practical level: I can bring a completed Melee save file easily, pop it in the pub Wii, load the file, and put the memory card back safely in my pocket.

To play Brawl, one of us would need to bring a Wii to replace the Pub Wii; since Brawl hates: people who try and play it, fun, running and joy. Everyone should hate it back in return.

I can also bring (I think) three controllers pretty easily, as I have less distance far to travel than you

From a pure hypetical level: Son you gonna get bopped! You going to learn that there's only one game you can get away with playing a terrible character in, and it's not one of mine.

Gus, just from the perspective of someone who's had trouble with this before, how many consoles/ tvs do they have?

Just in case whoever needs to bring some.

• Advertisement

They have 3 tvs, and a ps3/xbox/wii/SNES, they might have more, I'll ask them again about it. But we'd need to provide setups definitely anyway.

Advertisement