Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods reading reported posts in fora they don't moderate

Options
  • 20-05-2013 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Any way of changing the scripts of boards and stopping this practice? Especially when they then openly admit to doing it on thread like here by Nuri Sahin.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056933768/362/#post84698089

Clear abuse of power and its very disconcerting that one user who happens to be a mod on another forum can be party to the reporting process that is private and confidential for everyone else. It would really make you think twice about reporting posts when other users who really have no business doing so are spending their time trawling the Reported Posts forum and worse still b*tching about it on thread.

Not sure if there's a rule about this for Mods but there sure as hell should be and even if three isn't it shows that some Mods clearly went of the calibre of person fit to be doing the job in the first place.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Funny, I remember this been asked before

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75410146

;)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He is not a mod. He was, but isn't anymore. Also, have you nothing better to worry about ffs? Why do people get so precious over such small things?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Epic username :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Funny, I remember this been asked before

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75410146

;)

Yes and two years later its clearly still a very real and live issue.

Yes and two years later its still a very real and live issue.

Not really when the guy you are complaining about isn't even a mod. Not sure who the previous one you posted about was.

• Advertisement

Not really when the guy you are complaining about isn't even a mod. Not sure who the previous one you posted about was.

How then does he know who does or doesn't report posts? Wasn't he a mod in the past?

How then does he know who does or doesn't report posts? Wasn't he a mod in the past?

Not sure why you're so bothered.

Seems like you have a problem with the poster more than anything.

Ok, thanks for the input.

Regardless of the specific case highlighted here its more the overall difference in status that a mod and non mod hold in fora that neither moderate that's quite disconcerting.

Ok, thanks for the input.

How flahtering.

For Pete's sake was only giving an opinion. Would it be better if I just talked utter cloptrop.

I'm sure a mod will clarify this important issue

How flahtering.

For Pete's sake was only giving an opinion. Would it be better if I just talked utter cloptrop.

I'm sure a mod will clarify this important issue
    Not sure how triumphantly referencing some of my previous usernames, none of which were or are a secret, really helps here tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Any way of changing the scripts of boards and stopping this practice? Especially when they then openly admit to doing it on thread like here by Nuri Sahin.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056933768/362/#post84698089

Clear abuse of power and its very disconcerting that one user who happens to be a mod on another forum can be party to the reporting process that is private and confidential for everyone else. It would really make you think twice about reporting posts when other users who really have no business doing so are spending their time trawling the Reported Posts forum and worse still b*tching about it on thread.

Not sure if there's a rule about this for Mods but there sure as hell should be and even if three isn't it shows that some Mods clearly went of the calibre of person fit to be doing the job in the first place.

Hes a bastard , Nuri Sahin said he loved me once...never called me back :(:( . After he made the first move and everything over a glass of wine, some battlefield 3 and a mango

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Clever thread in some respects. A deep black hatred of a specific poster wrapped up within a somewhat valid issue / inconsistency. Good stuff.

Anyway, ideally mods would only see reported posts within the global category their forum sits in - i.e. if a dude mods soccer he only sees all reported posts from Sports. This would allow them the learning opportunity of getting a feel for how issues are handled without compromising the integrity of the 'mods are regular users outside their own forums' idea or the neccesary privacy if users have issues with their posts elsewhere on the site.

The 'oh well, I'm sure people don't read things in Reported Posts that don't concern their forums' doesn't wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Said without a hint of irony :rolleyes:

All you have done here is have a go at the op, why not comment on the subject at hand?
    It's a very valid point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Anyway, ideally mods would only see reported posts within the global category their forum sits in - i.e. if a dude mods soccer he only sees all reported posts from Sports.

That'd be a little undermined by mods that span multiple categories. In my case that'd cover Tech, Games and System straight off.

But as has always been the case, abusing/exploiting the reported posts visibility is considered a serious breach of the trust placed in a mod.

The 'oh well, I'm sure people don't read things in Reported Posts that don't concern their forums' doesn't wash.

This was what has been said in the past alright but clearly it is happening.

As for "deep and black hatred" I included the example because if I hadn't the party line would most likely have been "Mods don't do this as we haven't seen it happen." Now that doesn't wash.

Spear wrote: »
    That'd be a little undermined by mods that span multiple categories. In my case that'd cover Tech, Games and System straight off.

But as has always been the case, abusing/exploiting the reported posts visibility is considered a serious breach of the trust placed in a mod.

But not Rec, Region, Science, Soc, Sports, Hosted, Edu, Biz, Arts, Music

How do you know whether people are abusing or exploiting it? Very easy to search through and find what you want to find. Sometimes there will be comments in there from mods dealing with the issue that are interesting to read. Would be absolute idiocy for someone to overtly let the cat out of the bag. Simply put: it's information people should not be privy too unless it's necessary.

The only valid reason that could exist for it not having been done is that it is technically impossible to do it at present. Standard VBulletin templates wouldn't allow for such configuring - but there is a development team in place adding lots of bells and whistles to that basic architecture.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The only valid reason that could exist for it not having been done is that it is technically impossible to do it at present. Standard VBulletin templates wouldn't allow for such configuring - but there is a development team in place adding lots of bells and whistles to that basic architecture.

But they're not going to make any changes of substance to the vbulletin frontend, as it's being moved away from.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Reported Posts forum is a hugely valuable resource for new mods. It takes a while to get used to every little possible interpretation of forum charters and the site-wide posting guidelines. Seeing how a variety of experienced mods deal with that range of issues is very educational. The negatives of removing general access for mods would out-weigh the positives. And anyway, there's already a strictly enforced list of "rules" about how the forum can be used, passed down from Admin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have reported moderators posts on at least 2 occasions in the past. I was under the impression that only the mods of the forum where the posts were reported have access here. However it seems that the mod whose post I have reported can actually see that I have reported the post?

Ok I will definitely think twice before I do that in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Can someone give me an accurate link to whatever it is the OP is talking about? I can't see any mention of this based on the link he's given.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have reported moderators posts on at least 2 occasions in the past. I was under the impression that only the mods of the forum where the posts were reported have access here. However it seems that the mod whose post I have reported can actually see that I have reported the post?

Ok I will definitely think twice before I do that in future

It really makes no difference at all whether they can see your report or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Well it does as the process which I assumed was confidential is not confidential. We may aswell just have an on screen report post for everyone if 'really makes no difference'. Often I report posts that I think may be a little iffy and want the mods to be aware of it. It doesn't mean I want to broadcast that I am reporting a persons post as some can view that negatively.
    What if the mod in question fires off a quick e-mail to his buddy in the other forum to clear the flag or whatever?

Dav wrote: »
    Can someone give me an accurate link to whatever it is the OP is talking about? I can't see any mention of this based on the link he's given.

Post @ 01.43. Why is it any of his business who's reporting what in the Soccer forum? How does he know how many posts get reported in a forum he doesn't moderate? The only way he would know is if he was snooping around reported posts when he had access to them as a mod. Which makes a mockery of the notion that Mods and non Mods are equal in fora they don't have responsibility for.

Makes me wonder too how many more are at it.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I presume it's this post?

If you can read this, you're too close!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Well it does as the process which I assumed was confidential is not confidential. We may aswell just have an on screen report post for everyone if 'really makes no difference'. Often I report posts that I think may be a little iffy and want the mods to be aware of it. It doesn't mean I want to broadcast that I am reporting a persons post as some can view that negatively.
    What if the mod in question fires off a quick e-mail to his buddy in the other forum to clear the flag or whatever?

We've de-modded and site banned people for this before and will do so again if it happens again.

We've de-modded and site banned people for this before and will do so again if it happens again.

You may not be aware of it though. Also the mod might be miffed at having been reported and 'get back at you' in future.

I once had a mod berating me on thread (when I took an anti racism stance in AH) for not reporting a poster who had made a racial slur earlier in the thread. I had reported one of that mods posts though. The fact that he could see what I was and was not reporting makes his attitude on the thread slightly clearer.
    He was at the same time giving the usual 'I am not a mod of this forum so just a normal user like you' response whereas he is not a normal user in that he had access to information not available to a normal user. At least we can finally put that argument to bed.

Any chance you could PM me the specifics of that incident Pawwed? I'd like to take a look.

I'm also looking at the other issue. Nuri made a pretty vague (and not very clever) comment, there's not really a lot in it especially since he's not a mod any more and no longer has access. He's not exactly calling anyone specific out, but I'll investigate further.

In case it's not clear, I take this *extremely* seriously. If people don't have faith in our reporting process then the site stops working. I'm hoping to change how it works when we get our re-design under way. I would personally prefer reported posts to be limited to only the forum they're reported in, but right now that's not feasible or technically workable.

Would a solution be to have 2 Report buttons.

(1) Report to Forum Mods.
    (2) Report to Cat Mods.

Then if a user was concerned about reporting a mod and not being anonymous doing so then they could bypass the Mods and go higher instead. No idea if this is even possible in the boards technical matrix though!

Dav: is search disabled in the Reported Posts forum?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really don't understand what the big deal is. If you are reporting a mod outside of their forum and you are concerned about confidentiality, just PM the mods of the forum. If you don't receive a response from the mods or have an issue with their handling of it, then PM a cmod. But if it's just a personal grievance unworthy of action, don't be surprised if they aren't very helpful.

A mod who genuinely is a nuisance outside of their forums shouldn't be a mod, simple as that. There are more important things for the devs to be working on than the reported post system, which as already said, is very helpful to new mods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement