Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods reading reported posts in fora they don't moderate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

For a fella who tags himself as "the voice of reason", you do seem to come out with some very strange statements.

I though the pre-edited version that he actually posted was a perfectly valid point.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

For a fella who tags himself as "the voice of reason", you do seem to come out with some very strange statements.

That's certainly a robust rejection of my position anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Of course, when he was a mod he read the forum. Like many mods would read the forum. You scroll through what isn't interesting and notice what is. The suggestion that mods wouldn't do that is a little naive.

His insistence upon gossiping about it on thread is more naive again tbh.

Again his ability to sift though such info about fora he doesn't moderate means again he as a mod is not the same as other users despite the oft used line that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

There you go, more proof there's no such thing as a mod hive mind. I thought his post was insightful, reasoned and accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

darced wrote: »

Even if they did, what could they do about it?

Unfairly ban you from their forum? No, because you could just DRP it and it'd be overturned.

Unfairly give you an infraction? No, because you could DRP it and it'd be overturned.

Pettily use it against you in an argument on thread or via PM? No, because all you'd have to do is report them to their CMod and they'd be disciplined for misusing their privileges.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, but who cares who reported them? If the mod decides the post is in breach of charter and/or deserving of an infraction/ban, then that's all that matters. Personally speaking, if I were to receive what I believed to be an unjust infraction tomorrow, I would blame the Mod, not the person who reported me. Because people report all kinds of stupid crap. It doesn't mean a Mod has to do something about it. If anyone understands this it's a Mod, so I don't accept the idea that a Mod would hold a grudge against somebody for reporting them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's not "only natural" though. Mods are picked because (insofar as it's possible to vet) they are NOT the kind of posters who engage in that kind of petty little rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Unfairly ban you from their forum? No, because you could just DRP it and it'd be overturned.

Unfairly give you an infraction? No, because you could DRP it and it'd be overturned.

Pettily use it against you in an argument on thread or via PM?

Gossip with their mates on the soccer forum about it?

• Advertisement

I assume by "we all" you mean why isn't the Reported Posts forum public?

Because Mods are given a certain level of trust which would not be appropriate to give to every user of the site. It's a bit like saying "Why can't we all give infractions?" IMO. If the RP forum was public, any troll could start targeting those who report their posts.
    there are plenty of ways to abuse it without being obvious as well you know

Any examples?

Maybe I fail the "Evil Dictator Test" for not being able to see other ways to abuse it. :(

Yeah, but who cares who reported them? If the mod decides the post is in breach of charter and/or deserving of an infraction/ban, then that's all that matters. Personally speaking, if I were to receive what I believed to be an unjust infraction tomorrow, I would blame the Mod, not the person who reported me. Because people report all kinds of stupid crap. It doesn't mean a Mod has to do something about it.

And if I get a justified card I'm not going to blame the mod or the user who reported me, I accept though that it can happen.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Gossip with their mates on the soccer forum about it?

That falls under the "Pettily use it against you in an argument?" point for me.

To be honest, I can see if from the users' point of view.

You don't see what mods see, or see the tools mods have, so it would be easy enough to make assumptions on it.

From a mod POV though, we appreciate reported posts so much - they're invaluable - so I wouldn't be in the least bit bothered if someone reported a post of mine, it makes no odds to me because I understand how they're used and why they're important. I wouldn't bat an eyelid and I wouldn't hold it against a person in any way.

The RP forum is so busy - the pages change rapidly - most mods AFAIK don't use it at all - they use modutils which does only give them their own forums info.

It would be very difficult to see all that if you aren't a mod though, so I can appreciate where the concern comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Pettily use it against you in an argument on thread or via PM? No, because all you'd have to do is report them to their CMod and they'd be disciplined for misusing their privileges.

On the statements in bold, I think things are not that simple.

From looking at various DR threads at times, it seems very difficult to get things overturned. If the infracted/banned user had done anything wrong at all (no matter how small or how much of a technicality the offense is), the infraction/ban will generally not be overturned.

I honestly don't think it'd take much for a mod to hold a grudge against a poster and infract/ban him for something that he normally wouldn't infract/ban others for. They know they will almost certainly be backed up by the CMods in DR once the infracted/banned user has done anything wrong at all, regardless of the fact that the mods generally don't infract/ban for the offense (a rebuttal that doesn't seem to 'wash' in DRP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yep, obviously from quotes pre-name change

The reason a name change takes so long and can only be done before 10am is because we prevent access to threads/posts and go through every post one by one, replacing any old quote with the new username. If you were to change your username from rarnes1 to something else tomorrow then the quote above would not say rarnes1 anymore, it would say your new username. However my mentions of your username outside of a
    tag will remain.

Danny

Blatter wrote: »
    On the statements in bold, I think things are not that simple.

From looking at various DR threads at times, it seems very difficult to get things overturned. If the infracted/banned user had done anything wrong at all (no matter how small or how much of a technicality the offense is), the infraction/ban will generally not be overturned.

I know it might seem like that but often the issue is sorted out between the mod and user, which is why the first step is to pm the mod, that step often gets missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

A bit of a mixed message. Some say it would never/almost never happens that a mod holds a grudge while others are assuring us that when it happens it is dealt with seriously. Some mods saying that the reported posts forum works and is too valuable to change while others assuring us that most mods seldom look at it so there's nothing to worry about. Each statement is true but, when read together, don't make for a very persuasive response.

I don't really care but it seems obvious to me that more people being able to see what is a fairly private communication than is necessary isn't ideal.

The reason a name change takes so long and can only be done before 10am is because we prevent access to threads/posts and go through every post one by one, replacing any old quote with the new username.

Danny

I don't think users quoting your old names posts are changed though, plus your profile records your old names.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't think users quoting your old names posts are changed though, plus your profile records your old names.

I can assure you they are, or at least they should be. Otherwise we could perform name changes at the drop of a hat, any time of the day. The profile field that records old names is only visible to that user, the administrators and (possibly?) moderators, I'm not sure on the latter.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I can assure you they are, or at least they should be. Otherwise we could perform name changes at the drop of a hat, any time of the day. The profile field that records old names is only visible to that user, the administrators and (possibly?) moderators, I'm not sure on the latter.

Danny

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66260410&postcount=8

Not sure if I'm picking this up wrong but thats a post which quotes my old username, the old username is still there...

edit: just to be clear IPAM is my old username

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nope.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66260410&postcount=8

Not sure if I'm picking this up wrong but thats a post which quotes my old username, the old username is still there...

You're not picking it up wrong and I'm almost 100% certain that's a bug and not the way it was intended to be at all.

Danny

K-9 wrote: »
    I know it might seem like that but often the issue is sorted out between the mod and user, which is why the first step is to pm the mod, that step often gets missed.

I would say that happens a lot of the time, however in cases where the mod is holding a grudge against a particular user, I think the chances of an amicable outcome lessens.

Anyway, I doubt it's a huge problem in itself (mods letting grudges from reported posts influence their actions) but I think people would be naive to think it couldn't be done.

You're not picking it up wrong and I'm almost 100% certain that's a bug and not the way it was intended to be at all.

Danny

That's always been that way as long as I've posted here Danny. It's just text, not linked, so would that not be a huge thing to change?

That's always been that way as long as I've posted here Danny. It's just text, not linked, so would that not be a huge thing to change?

Let's not derail this thread any further I think, but I questioned rarnes1 because I have always worked under the assumption that your quoted nick was also changed and that's why the username changes took so long. I'll look a bit more into this, it seems strange to leave old nicknames dotted around.

Leave it with me, and thanks to you all for the clarification

Danny

Let's not derail this thread any further I think, but I questioned rarnes1 because I have always worked under the assumption that your quoted nick was also changed and that's why the username changes took so long. I'll look a bit more into this, it seems strange to leave old nicknames dotted around.

Leave it with me, and thanks to you all for the clarification

Danny

Unless there's some sort of software that allows admins to do it at a drop of a hat, changing the username on every single individual quoted post from a user sounds totally unworkable as it'd be far too time consuming. A lot of users that change their usernames have thousands of previously quoted posts.

• Advertisement

Danny

It's a good while ago, but posters quoting my old name were still there.
    Blatter wrote: »
    I would say that happens a lot of the time, however in cases where the mod is holding a grudge against a particular user, I think the chances of an amicable outcome lessens.

Anyway, I doubt it's a huge problem in itself (mods letting grudges from reported posts influence their actions) but I think people would be naive to think it couldn't be done.

It really should be brought up in the DRP or pm'd to the CMod/Admin, it's basically bullying to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement