Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods reading reported posts in fora they don't moderate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If someone could say exactly the same thing again without using "actioned".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

Dav wrote: »
    but by and large, the site is self policing which is how we want it to be.
    I don't know, is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I don't know, is this true?

It's true. It always has been

Orion wrote: »
    It's true. It always has been
    Recent example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I believe that if the guy you mentioned in your op was still a mod, he'd probably be demodded for posting what he posted - that was stupid, imo.

As s matter of interest should this guy be demodded in that case? Whatever about him looking up the reported posts from the threads in question, what business does he have talking about it on thread? You can hardly paint it as a mod using the RP forum for "learning." All I see here is s guy who should be the same as other users using his powers to backseat mod or worse.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76391798&postcount=7456

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77035089&postcount=4371

Fair enough this kinda thing doesn't happen much but it is there. Pretty sure I've reported other cases before too but I can't seem to find them now.

• Advertisement

As s matter of interest should this guy be demodded in that case? Whatever about him looking up the reported posts from the threads in question, what business does he have talking about it on thread? You can hardly paint it as a mod using the RP forum for "learning." All I see here is s guy who should be the same as other users using his powers to backseat mod or worse.

Fair enough this kinda thing doesn't happen much but it is there. Pretty sure I've reported other cases before too but I can't seem to find them now.

He doesn't say he read any of the RPs, he makes an assumption. The thread title of a reported post includes the actual original thread title, so it's very easy to notice if there have been a lot of RPs from the same thread just by being in the forum for half a minute.

Think of the soccer forum - if all the threads on the first page had the same name, you would notice it.

At the time of the boston bombings thread in AH, the forum was taken over solely by reported posts from that thread. It would have been a very normal thing for another mod to say "jesus the amount of reported posts from the boston bombings thread is crazy". That's not abusing mod powers, that's pure observation.

I don't think he should be commenting on it in any way in a forum where he's meant to be no different to everyone else though. Let him read or "observe" all he likes but that's private info he has no business discussing in public IMO.

I don't think he should be commenting on it in any way in a forum where he's meant to be no different to everyone else though.

Fair point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

As s matter of interest should this guy be demodded in that case?

I think demodding would probably be a bit harsh but would agree that he is acting like a mod in a thread in which he isn't a mod. Maybe a mod warning on the thread about back seat modding would have been appropriate??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I don't think he should be commenting on it in any way in a forum where he's meant to be no different to everyone else though. Let him read or "observe" all he likes but that's private info he has no business discussing in public IMO.

I agree, but also agree with pawwd that this isn't as bad as the example in the OP - I think the example in the op was someone else using insider knowledge to score points, whereas the last example was someone else making a more general comment. Still don't think it should happen for exactly the reasons you outlined, but not a sacking offense imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hello Girls

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Demodded no, asked quietly by the mods not to make such comments in the forum, yeah that'd be reasonable.

A lot of this is self policing, if some random mod came onto Politics and attacked a user for people reporting a lot of their posts in the forum "you won't be here for long etc," the mod would be given a choice of shutting up or being banned permanently before we poked the Admins to get involved.

I've never seen something like this happen though. People generally aren't that stupid.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think demodding would probably be a bit harsh but would agree that he is acting like a mod in a thread in which he isn't a mod. Maybe a mod warning on the thread about back seat modding would have been appropriate??

It's over moderation in cases like this that irritate a lot of normal posters. In the posts linked about there is nothing to get any sort of knickers twisted about surely? If I was a mod and got a warning about something like that it would irritate the hell out of me.

I would have thought that it was general knowledge for anyone who has been around the site for years (such as the OP) that all mods can read all reported posts, no need to get upset and bookmark posts for well over a year (or else use freaky search skills) where there is a nothing incident that might come in useful for nitpicking at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hate to burst your bubble but all that I said in that thread came from what was being said in open forums by the soccer mods of the time. PHB (a soccer mod) had put up stats about the amount of reported posts from certain threads and one of the other soccer mods passed comment on the the never ending flow of reported posts that were popping up at that time.

I may be guilty in my posts of assuming it was indeed as bad as the soccer mods were saying it was (and they were saying it in the open forum where me and other regular posters could see it and they were also discussing it in those open forums with regular posters like me), but at no point did I ever repeat anything private that a mod said to me, and at no point have I ever used anything I read in the reported post forum in the open forum. In fact since you are accusing me of doing exactly that then surely you should have plenty of examples of me listing specific facts about behind the scenes stuff regarding forums I don't mod in.

Also the conversation which you took my quotes from involved a soccer mod and was in the open forum. That particular mod would have had no problem infracting me or any of the others in that particular conversation if he thought we were crossing any lines or breaking any rules at the time.

But then again Fla, I am pretty sure you already knew all of that, but the made up claim about me, and it is a made up claim, using the reported post forum for my own nefarious deeds does paint a more colourful picture.

The conversation was with an active soccer mod, and that mod was who provided the stats on reported posts in an open forum as part of a discussion. The mod in question was good enough at the time to allow a few issues to be hashed out in the forum (as long as people remained civil) and if memory serves correct he also let us (the regular posters) know xactly what line we could not cross.

I think if I was using the reported Forum as a source of information then I would have been sorted out by the soccer mods and then the admins a long time ago.

Also as for the demodded comment made, I became the mod of the mid west forums 9 or 10 months after the quoted posts but I may have been the mod of the Nature forum at the time of the quoted posts as I think it was either late 2011 or early 2012 when that happened. So I may or may not even have been a mod when the quoted posts were made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The Muppet wrote: »
    Hello Girls
    Whatever happened to your sig of Fergie kicking the liver bird? :pac:
    I think that needs another run out...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

5starpool wrote: »
    If I was a mod and got a warning about something like that it would irritate the hell out of me.

That is why I said an on thread warning rather than an infraction as I don't think it would warrant an infraction. Kess has explained the situation anyway so nothing more to be said on that really.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Also as for the demodded comment made, I became the mod of the mid west forums 9 or 10 months after the quoted posts but I may have been the mod of the Nature forum at the time of the quoted posts as I think it was either late 2011 or early 2012 when that happened.
    I didn't say you should be demodded. I actually said the opposite. In fact noone said you should be demodded. The Op asked whether it would be warranted in this case presumably as it was suggested elsewhere on the thread that if a mod is outside of his forum he should act as a normal user. But you have cleared up the issue anyway.
    Tbh I had assumed it was a conversation the Op was involved in so knew the full story about the thread but now realise that the thread is 18 months old and actually happened 8 months before the Op even signed up to boards. This thread could be turning into a witchhunt imho

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The reported posts forum clearly has benefits for mods as has been pointed out by admins.

Could it be that the OP who has been banned from the soccer forum and others under various user names has a gripe against posters there?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The reported posts forum clearly has benefits for mods as has been pointed out by admins.

Could it be that the OP who has been banned from the soccer forum and others under various user names has a gripe against posters there?
    Just to make one thing clear, the OP is not banned from the Soccer Forum under either his current ID or any previous ID I am aware of.

Beasty wrote: »
    Just to make one thing clear, the OP is not banned from the Soccer Forum under either his current ID or any previous ID I am aware of.

The OP was flahavaj who was banned from the soccer forum.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The OP was flahavaj who was banned from the soccer forum.
    I am not going to go into any individual details, but will say that bans have been issued in the soccer forum to several hundred users. My previous statement is accurate - the OP is not banned from the Soccer Forum under either his current ID or any previous ID I am aware of, and I am pretty sure I am aware of all of them (over recent years certainly). This is not the place to discuss what those accounts may have been

Beasty wrote: »
    I am not going to go into any individual details, but will say that bans have been issued in the soccer forum to several hundred users. My previous statement is accurate - the OP is not banned from the Soccer Forum under either his current ID or any previous ID I am aware of, and I am pretty sure I am aware of all of them (over recent years certainly). This is not the place to discuss what those accounts may have been

Fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You are well aware the OP has previously had concerns about this issue. You even linked to it in the first reply of this thread :confused:

As advised above from Beasty, it's best not to discuss it further in here.

As advised above from Beasty, it's best not to discuss it further in here.
    your first post was bad enough, should have left it there.

That is why I said an on thread warning rather than an infraction as I don't think it would warrant an infraction. Kess has explained the situation anyway so nothing more to be said on that really.

I didn't say you should be demodded. I actually said the opposite. In fact noone said you should be demodded. The Op asked whether it would be warranted in this case presumably as it was suggested elsewhere on the thread that if a mod is outside of his forum he should act as a normal user. But you have cleared up the issue anyway.
    Tbh I had assumed it was a conversation the Op was involved in so knew the full story about the thread but now realise that the thread is 18 months old and actually happened 8 months before the Op even signed up to boards. This thread could be turning into a witchhunt imho

Sorry Pawwed if you thought I was having a go at you because I defo was not doing so. I just used your post and your comments as a platform to further explain myself as I do think I was wronged in this case by the accusation of me using the reported posts forum for my own means.

I also think it is very strange that a poster had either bookmarked my comments of some 15 or 16 months ago or spent the time to go back through my post history in order to find something to be offended about. Seems to me if my posts were so offensive at the time, at the start of 2012 no less, that an offended poster would have reported them, and that a mod would have at the very least questioned me on it if that had happened and taken action against me if I broke the rules.

So for it to be brought up out of the blue seems contrived to me especially as my posting history will show no contact from me towards the poster that brought me up (at least with him in his current name), and I am sure the powers that be can also check to ensure that I was not acting like a serial reporter trying to cause hassle for him at any point either.

Which begs the question as to why were my posts from early last year bookmarked or why was a poster going back through 15 or 16 months worth of my posts in order to make a claim about me.

If the poster is indeed the poster I think he used to be, then it is even more puzzling as I cannot recall any big fallouts with him under any of his other names either. Can remember talking about crusty blaas with him ( a blaa being a bread roll in Waterford), Dan Shanahan (Waterford hurler) and having general footy banter if he is the poster I think he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'd say it is common enough knowledge among posters, never mind mods, that soccer gets a load of petty reported posts, not a Liverpool threads centric thing either I might add, though I shouldn't have to.

Edit: Incidentally, dragging up posts from a couple of years seems very petty to me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

nesf wrote: »
    Demodded no, asked quietly by the mods not to make such comments in the forum, yeah that'd be reasonable.

A lot of this is self policing, if some random mod came onto Politics and attacked a user for people reporting a lot of their posts in the forum "you won't be here for long etc," the mod would be given a choice of shutting up or being banned permanently before we poked the Admins to get involved.

I've never seen something like this happen though. People generally aren't that stupid.

Also there is a clear warning that the reported posts forum shouldn't be discussed on the general site.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Kess73 wrote: »

I also think it is very strange that a poster had either bookmarked my comments of some 15 or 16 months ago or spent the time to go back through my post history in order to find something to be offended about. Seems to me if my posts were so offensive at the time, at the start of 2012 no less, that an offended poster would have reported them, and that a mod would have at the very least questioned me on it if that had happened and taken action against me if I broke the rules.

So for it to be brought up out of the blue seems contrived to me especially as my posting history will show no contact from me towards the poster that brought me up (at least with him in his current name), and I am sure the powers that be can also check to ensure that I was not acting like a serial reporter trying to cause hassle for him at any point either.

Which begs the question as to why were my posts from early last year bookmarked or why was a poster going back through 15 or 16 months worth of my posts in order to make a claim about me.

If the poster is indeed the poster I think he used to be, then it is even more puzzling as I cannot recall any big fallouts with him under any of his other names either. Can remember talking about crusty blaas with him ( a blaa being a bread roll in Waterford), Dan Shanahan (Waterford hurler) and having general footy banter if he is the poster I think he is.

This is all irrelevant. The fact is that you acted inappropriately by commenting on reported posts in the soccer forum when you were not a mod there.

No amount of waffle or bluster from you will mask this.

• Advertisement

The general tone and content of each of the rather unhelpful posts that you have made in this thread suggests that the only gripe on show here isn't on my part tbph.

For the record I have zero forum bans under this or my previous two username and any SF bans I was given as the legend that was the flah were temporary with a set expiry date.

PM me if there's any further info you'd like on my past, I can send you on some nice snaps of my Communion that might tickle your fancy if you like? After all this thread isn't about me its about mod behavior.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement