Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glen of Aherlow - Top 5 Irish Holiday Destination

Options
  • 20-05-2013 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

The people of The Glen of Aherlow can be so proud today that the Glen has been shortlisted by The Irish Times as one of the Top 5 Places to Holiday in Ireland.

Last year, Lisverrnane Village in the Glen won the TG4 G-Team competition after the local community there demonstrated their ability as a community to integrate Irish into their daily activities.

So here we have a Tipperary-based communnity demonstrating the power of working together and having pride in where they live.

To read the nomination and view the Itish Times video on the Glen, follow this link:

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ireland/video-glen-of-aherlow-co-tipperary-1.1399593

The success of the people in the Glen can now be an example to other communities around Tipperary and inspire them to have pride in where they live, making their own town or village a nice place to live and visit.

Up the Glen!

Up Tipp. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

Great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

I notice St. Berrihert's Kyle and holy well in the early part of the video. This is a unique place with a lovely tranquil aura. I am not a religious or spiritual person by any means but I'd recommend it as a place to visit if you want peace, contemplation and a bit of time out from modern life. It's not signposted at all as far as I know and is hard to find but worth discovering.
    The Galtees and the Glen are a great recreational resource and probably not appreciated enough by most Tipp people. I just hope the development of tourism there doesn't go overboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

What hotels would you recommend staying in while visiting the Glenn?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rowingguy

To be honest, I have not stayed in the Glen for ages though I usually rely on Tripadvisor for recommendations when travelling.

Have a look at the reviews for The Glen here:
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Tourism-g1436934-Glen_of_Aherlow_County_Tipperary-Vacations.html

For some reason, Ballyglass House Hotel is not listed on this page, perhaps as it's not stricly in the Glen, being on the road from Tipp Town up to the Glen. Anyway, read reviews here:

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g190754-d659719-Reviews-Ballyglass_Country_House-Tipperary_County_Tipperary.html

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Some good reviews here to be fair on Tripadvisor - have friends over from Manchester staying here in August - must check out prices....

Brgds
    Johnny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Paddico

Ballinacourty have accomidation and a very nice resturant. Not sure is it camping only though.
    www.ballinacourtyhse.com/‎

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Xenophile wrote: »
    What hotels would you recommend staying in while visiting the Glenn?

The Aherlow House hotel definitely. I was at it years ago for a friends 21st and I promised myself that is where I would get married. A friend got married there a while back and it was gorgeous. Shame the marriage didnt last.

Advertisement