Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIRCOM FIBER OUT TODAY

Options
  • 20-05-2013 8:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

what does any one think of eircoms new fiber broadband 70mb download,20mb upload and unlimited 60 euro per month is anyone going to order this i dont know about download speed any more now although i do have 12mb upload to me 20mb is serious upload speed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Well at the moment in the Dads house who refuses to move from eircom we're stuck on with a 1.5mb download speed, so anything remotely near the fiber claims of 50mb for about 10 euro more per month will be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

snugburger wrote: »
    what does any one think of eircoms new fiber broadband 70mb download,20mb upload and unlimited 60 euro per month is anyone going to order this i dont know about download speed any more now although i do have 12mb upload to me 20mb is serious upload speed

a) how long before it's available in your area?
    b) how long before an eircom engineer gets round to installing it? (considering every bastard will be looking for it)
    c) Will you even get the speeds Eircom advertised? e.g. how far you are from the nearest exchange, etc.

Looking at where I am on the map, I wouldn't be surprised if it's this time next year before I get it.

UPC beckons I think. At least you'll know what you're getting....now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    e.g. how far you are from the nearest exchange, etc.
    It's Fibre To The Cabinet so it's distance from the neighbourhood cabinet that counts, not the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

We have poles not cabinets, we are poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Has anyone got there hands on one of these new routers yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    a) how long before it's available in your area?
    b) how long before an eircom engineer gets round to installing it? (considering every bastard will be looking for it)
    c) Will you even get the speeds Eircom advertised? e.g. how far you are from the nearest exchange, etc.

Looking at where I am on the map, I wouldn't be surprised if it's this time next year before I get it.

UPC beckons I think. At least you'll know what you're getting....now.

A) very soon I hope, cab up not sure if cabled
    B) after the initial rush I get the feeling that this will be installed within a week of ordering
    C) anything will be better than my 1.6mb that I currently have

UPC have no interest in our estate or at least they didn't wonder will change now?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Just ordered eFibre there online it says they will contact me to arrange a date for them to come out to the house... I wonder how long it will actually take for them to contact me?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Pataman wrote: »
    We have poles not cabinets, we are poor.

A lot cables go overhead from near the cab to serve older houses especially in city estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Speaker

I got the offer letter about a month ago – signed up online immediately as I was happy with the service from Eircom, although I know I was paying a hefty charge; figured it was worth paying for the service. Over the years I’ve had problems but the support guys always solved them. Subsequently got a call from Eircom suggesting the new fibre service would be connected Monday 20th May.

Call me suspicious if you wish but something happened Tuesday, 14th June – could it be Eircom were “working” on the system. The result was a modem that worked for years “suddenly” became faulty. Persuaded by support staff, as I was getting Eircom new fibre service on the following Monday I should try an old ZyXel modem that I got from BT. Having found the ZyXel modem rang support Wednesday for help – as soon as they heard it was a BT modem interest in helping ended.

Getting grief from family with loss of service got on to Eircom again – result new modem despatched Thursday – arrived Friday. Set it up, no problem – peace and happiness now reigns again in the family – Dad is no longer seen as a plonker – no chance. New modem keeps dropping wireless service – internet light on modem goes red again and again.

Saturday’s call (now daily) made the suggestion that I change channel on the modem. So tried this – needed login with password. Instruction leaflet that came with modem stated I’d find password written on base of modem – no it didn’t (why do I believe these guys).

Sunday’s call to Eircom support tells me the password is the same as the security key (oh really). But it’s now Sunday – surely I can wait out the family until Monday when Eircom will connect me to their super fast fibre network on Monday. So, my cunning plan is to take the family out for a drive in the country in a feeble effort to distract them from the absence of broadband service (no! my kids are not addicted to technology).

Waited in all day Monday (20th) for the saviour himself (or maybe it's herself - otherwise known as an Eircom technician) to arrive at my front door and give me the gift of Eircom’s super fast, ever reliable, fibre broadband and in the process avoid being divorced by my wife and put in a home by my children, earlier than I had hoped. Fat chance.

Rang Eircom support about 16:30 to be told we will be with you Thursday.

I’m done with Eircom – life’s too short.

I’d welcome any suggestions as to an alternative supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I would have thought that a Corkonian would have twigged all that as BS from a mile off!

• Advertisement
Advertisement