Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June "Is It Summer Yet?" Beers - Saturday June 29th

Options
  • 20-05-2013 9:53am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, the plan is for Saturday June 29th at the Garden Gate in Hampstead in the early afternoon. I've a table booked for 8 of us from 3 o'clock. The plan is to have a late lunch (see the menus here), followed by an afternoon of beverages and banter. There's going to be live music on if the weather's decent, and we can decide on the day whether to stay put or hit the off-licence across the road and get some cans/bottles to take up to the Heath.

Info on how to get to the pub is here.

If you've not been to a Beers before and want to come along, you're more than welcome to do so - drop me a PM so we can exchange contact info and turn up on the day. Chances are I'll be wearing one of these.

Alright folks, time for the next Beers planning thread. I'm thinking that if we get some decent weather we should change it up a bit and go for a daytime/afternoon meetup; maybe go for a relaxed late lunch and then move to a beer garden.

Off hand the only beer garden I can think of is the Garden Gate in Hampstead Heath, which is pretty nice but almost always busy so we'd likely have to book a table. The food there's decent enough too, which is handy as I'm not aware of anywhere nearby that sounds particularly interesting. The proximity to the Heath means that we could pop up there for a picnic/kickaround/general lazing around outside in good weather as well if the mood takes us.

Let's get the ball rolling and see who's available when; meanwhile if you've any other suggestions for venues please post in thread (ideally with links) and we'll make a plan.

When should we have the June Beers? 60 votes

Saturday 1st
    0%
    Sunday 2nd
    8%
    WodenHow so Joepirateninjaexiledelbowshelpwanted01 5 votes
    Saturday 8th
    6%
    WodenHow so Joepirateninjaexiledelbows 4 votes
    Sunday 9th
    11%
    biZrbFyshenda1Jack B. Badd83steBrianderunnerexiledelbows 7 votes
    Saturday 15th
    6%
    FyshJack B. Badd83steexiledelbows 4 votes
    Sunday 16th
    13%
    biZrbFyshenda1Jack B. BaddHow so JoeballsymchughReekwindpirateninja 8 votes
    Saturday 22nd
    10%
    WodenFyshBrokenArrowsJack B. BaddHow so Joepirateninja 6 votes
    Sunday 23rd
    11%
    Wodenenda1PlayboyHow so Joefrag420ballsymchughThisIsNonsense 7 votes
    Saturday 29th
    8%
    WodenBrokenArrows83stesilvervixen84How so Joe 5 votes
    Sunday 30th
    15%
    biZrbRo: maaan!Fyshenda1PlayboyjonnyfingersJack B. Badd83steHow so Joe 9 votes
    Other (post in thread)
    8%
    FyshBrokenArrowsJack B. Badd83steHow so Joe 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Other (post in thread)
    If we're going for an afternoon/daytime meet-up, surely we should be looking at Saturday and Sunday options, rather than Fridays?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Other (post in thread)
    serrity wrote: »
    If we're going for an afternoon/daytime meet-up, surely we should be looking at Saturday and Sunday options, rather than Fridays?

Damnit. You're right.

New thread & poll coming up!

The new poll is live.

Also, anyone with suggestions for alternative venue options, please post them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I say we hit the park, get a giant bag of cans, take our tops off as soon as the sun comes out and hang around the park smoking fags. I'm missing Cork at the moment and it would be great to feel back at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Saturday 15th
    Richmond is a beautiful spot in the sunshine. I know it's a bit far out for people, but really handy from Clapham Junction and North London on the Overground, and linked to the rest of London through the District Line.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Other (post in thread)
    FTA69 wrote: »
    I say we hit the park, get a giant bag of cans, take our tops off as soon as the sun comes out and hang around the park smoking fags. I'm missing Cork at the moment and it would be great to feel back at home.

If you're thinking of the Peace Park, we'll need to recruit someone to play the role of the dodgy gang of skangers to come over and start giving us grief/trying to scrounge some cans ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Fysh wrote: »
    If you're thinking of the Peace Park, we'll need to recruit someone to play the role of the dodgy gang of skangers to come over and start giving us grief/trying to scrounge some cans ;)

Considering I'm from Mayfield I was looking for more of a "tracksuits/soccer jersey/cans by the Shakey Bridge" vibe as opposed to lounging in Bishop Lucey Park. Possibly followed by a jaunt to a blue McDonalds and a stop and search on the way home.

Other (post in thread)
    FTA69 wrote: »
    Considering I'm from Mayfield I was looking for more of a "tracksuits/soccer jersey/cans by the Shakey Bridge" vibe as opposed to lounging in Bishop Lucey Park. Possibly followed by a jaunt to a blue McDonalds and a stop and search on the way home.

So what you're saying is you're volunteering? Good man! ;)

Shakey Bridge is a nice spot when the weather's good, though I used to prefer the Lee Fields as they were usually less crowded...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Other (post in thread)
    I vote for all of the days. Because I'm greedy like that.
    I also think that Hampstead Heath is a good spot, and I swear it's not just because I live close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Other (post in thread)
    I'm good on any of the dates except the 1st and 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Im good for all those bar the first and second I think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Saturday 15th
    Can definitely do the first two weeks, but not the middle one. Too early to tell for the last two

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Sunday 30th
    I'm in for any date. If there's one thing I like more than evening drinking, it's daytime drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Sunday 23rd
    Defo hope to make this one, cant do 1st and 15th as back in the motherland on bith dates but any other Saturday should be fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Sunday 30th
    I've been crap at making it to the last few beers but damn it I'll make it to one someday! Unfortunately I'm not free until the end of the month, the 29th suits me best, with the 22nd a slight possibility too.

If the dates work out I'll do my best to make it. If not there's always July beers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Sunday 16th
    Is it time for beers yet?

Other (post in thread)
    The 29th is winning the poll.
    That sounds like a convincing argument to me.

Other (post in thread)
    I'm going to say Saturday 29th on the basis that we might have decent weather by then. Not sure what the story's been the last couple of days but I am unimpressed, to say the least.

I say we stick with the plan of hitting the Garden Gate early afternoon on the 29th, possibly getting food there and see how we go later in the evening. I'll do a text chaser a few days before and book a table once I've a better idea of numbers. As ever, if you've not been to a Beers before and/or I haven't got a way to contact you, PM me so we can swap contact info in case plans change on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks Fysh for this.
    Ended up getting cheap flights home for £45 rtn that weekend just a few days ago so no joy this time but will catch up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Saturday 29th
    Back in Ireland that weekend myself also. Catch yee at the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Sunday 30th
    Woden wrote: »
    Back in Ireland that weekend myself also. Catch yee at the next one

That's only a valid excuse if you got a good deal on the flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Saturday 29th
    This is no mere trip home Ro. This is/was to see the National. Who have now decided to play Roundhouse to 2 days prior to Cork. /sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Sunday 30th
    Sounds good. I've somehow never managed to go to Hampstead Heath. So should make it.

Other (post in thread)
    enda1 wrote: »
    Sounds good. I've somehow never managed to go to Hampstead Heath. So should make it.

It's well worth a wander when the weather's good - some lovely views and lots of green space. Plus The Garden Gate is a great beer garden :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zippy1991

Ah flip,

I'm at Glastonbury that day.

Flipping flip.

Zip

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'll be in Ireland, hopefully around for the July/August beers though!

Other (post in thread)
    Zippy1991 wrote: »
    Ah flip,

I'm at Glastonbury that day.

Flipping flip.

Zip

Damn kids and their pesky beat combo live performances! *shakes walking stick, mutters under breath*

Other (post in thread)
    Don't forget folks, Beers are this Saturday afternoon. If I don't have a number for you, drop me a PM in case plans change. Depending on the weather we may remain in the Garden Gate all afternoon (if it's crap) or venture out into the Heath (if it's nice).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Sunday 30th
    "Mostly cloudy with a shower - 21deg" hmm. Mightn't be the pest day for picnicking. I'll promise to at least try to make it. Need to come up with a good line to lure the girlfriend to meet "a bunch of people off the intenet". Could be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Other (post in thread)
    If it was 21 degrees with a bit of cloud/rain in Ireland it would be a great summer. lol.

Just say we are a great bunch of lads. She should fall for that one.
    Or just lie and say your meeting up with some friends.

• Advertisement

Other (post in thread)
    I meet up with people from the Internet all the time! It's generally fairly good craic. Tell her that!

Advertisement