Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Text Editing tool for webpages

• 20-05-2013 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I was wondering if there was such a thing as a text editing tool when designing websites with lots of text.

I am designing my own website in HTML and some of the ages will have lots of text on them.

So rather than have to distinguish sentences or words with tags such as <b>, <i>, <strong>, <u> and so on is there a tool out there which allows you to type and space out the text and provides you with the html to put into your webpage ?

Cheers,

Mark S.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭omega42

your looking for whats called a WYSIWUG editor. there are lots of them out there. Dreamweaver is one of the best but a bit expensive

theres also http://kompozer.net/ havent used it but its FREE :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I personally wouldn't bother with Dreamwever or Kompozer.

Notepad++ - this text editor comes included with syntax highlighting (as do pretty much all of them). Click on the language option in the menu and select HTML, CSS JS or whatever and it will highlight the code for you. The display is also editable so you can change background and highlighting colours to your preference. You can install plugins that will aauto complete tags for you (think it's called TextFX) and I think that an FTP client plugin comes as standard.

Firebug - if you don't know what this does then watch the video on the home page. Very handy for on-the-fly local edits to your webpage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Sublime Text 2 is what all the cool kids are using. :)

+1 for firebug, and the Chrome dev tools are very nice too.

I'd stay clear of any WYSIWYG editors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I like Notepad++. It has an FTP plugin for direct access to remote files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If it's all static content, then you could look at an online tool like cushycms or pagelime, which gives you a nice editor. It connects to your website by FTP in the background to save the changes, so it's really quick to edit them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Notepad++ for me too, tried Sublime and while it's neat I still prefare notepad++, probably because it's what I'm used too..

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭omega42

But folks are you not missing the point of the OP

He not asking for an editor to help him with tags but something that will allow him to type his paragraphs etc and it create the HTML for him?

So surely a WYSIWUG editor is what he is looking for or have I missed something in Notepad++? does it have a direct edit design view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

omega42 wrote: »

He not asking for an editor to help him with tags but something that will allow him to type his paragraphs etc and it create the HTML for him?

So surely a WYSIWUG editor is what he is looking for or have I missed something in Notepad++? does it have a direct edit design view?

Yes, but we decided that a WYSIWYG editor is no good and the OP should persevere and code by hand. Now we will each take it in turn to offer our code editor of choice :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

omega42 wrote: »

Well, their problem is that they have trouble distinguishing tags etc in blocks of text. A WYSIWYG editor does solve that, but introduces its own problems. An editor like Notepad++ also solves the problem (through syntax highlighting), but without introducing its own problems

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement