Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tracing the geographic pattern of a forename

• 20-05-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

There is a reasonably unusual recurring name in my family, which is Darius, sometimes shortened to Darby, which has been in the family from the present day until at least 1800.

The name Darby itself was common throughout the 19th century of course, but I'm not sure that it would always have come from Darius, which is what all the men in my family were named on their registration certificates.

I looked up the name Darius in the 1911 and 1901 census, and apart from one case of the name occuring in Dublin, all recorded incidences of the name in the country are within a small Geographic area of Tipperary:

8bnhAh.png

Now, this can't easily be put down to the influence of a parish priest, schoolteacher or other local figure since most incidences of the name occur in different parishes, and across registration districts.

On the other hand, the majority of the men named Darius don't share the same surnames, but most are farmers living in adjoining rural areas, of similar social class.

This is a bit of a long shot, but what are the chances that these men are all related?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'd be inclined to put it down to the (often questionable) Latinisation of names. As you point out, "Darby" as a forename is not rare, especially in the west of Ireland. I suspect that you have stumbled on a local tradition - that "Darius" was used in that part of the world as a version of the name more suited to formal documents.

[Another illustration of such gentrification of names is the use of "Dionysius" for "Denis".]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Do the men with this name share surnames that are linked to a particular religion/ethnic origin? E.g. older immigrant groups to Ireland such as Huguenots or Palatines, with some converting to RC or CofI over the cenuries.

As you say, Darby can also mean a different name, usually Jeremiah.

A long shot but is the name linked to some local custom, tradition, or worship of a religious figure?

I would try and access any local history publications for the area, as they might mention local naming traditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

Yes I looked up local newspaper clippings, there's no local celebrity or anything like that with the name Darius who might have inspired it -all the clippings for Dariuses seem to be realted to the individual men.

Their names are Irish names and actually very local to the area, no history of immigration at all.
    I'd be inclined to put it down to the (often questionable) Latinisation of names. As you point out, "Darby" as a forename is not rare, especially in the west of Ireland. I suspect that you have stumbled on a local tradition - that "Darius" was used in that part of the world as a version of the name more suited to formal documents.

[Another illustration of such gentrification of names is the use of "Dionysius" for "Denis".]

Yes I did consider that, but as far as I know Darby is usually formalised to Jeremiah (no idea why). This also appears on local parish records, so seems to rule out local custom (in any event, we are talking about separate parishes and registration districts).

These men were named Darius in newspaper clippings (selling agricultural produce, GAA news, etc), it doesn't seem to have been for baptismal or Latinizing reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Local religious devotions can sometimes explain this. E.g. Mogue rarely ever surfaces as a name outside of wexford due to some alternate name for a local saint. It's usually Aidan on documents but not always

However finding a reference to a tradition that could be dead by now won't be easy. Could be worth looking for a local history society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

+1 on that.

Diarmuid / Jeremiah / Darby were/are interchangeable in my Tipp family line.
    Some christian names are highly localised e.g. Declan around Youghal, Edmond/Edmund in Co. Tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

+1 on that.

Diarmuid / Jeremiah / Darby were/are interchangeable in my Tipp family line.
    Some christian names are highly localised e.g. Declan around Youghal, Edmond/Edmund in Co. Tipp.

+1. My maternal grandfather was a Jeremiah, sometimes nicknamed "Darby". In a local cemetery close to where he was born (Co. Clare) there is a memorial erected by a Darby with the same rare surname in 1785.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I offer Ancestry's understanding of the origin of the name Darby, though I can't say yay or nay myself:

http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=darby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I offer Ancestry's understanding of the origin of the name Darby, though I can't say yay or nay myself:

http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=darby

Interesting, but that refers to the surname Darby, which as Ancestry suggests probably has a 'locative' origin. The OP refers to a Christian name.

The first 'Darby' I have in my tree was born in 1752. His family was by that time Catholic, but many of his kinsmen had not yet converted from CoI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ah yes pedroeibar1, I see that now. However I'm also thinking along the lines of the Scottish name of Finlay, which could be either surname or Christian name. Maybe Darby has gone the same way?

Advertisement