Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre launch - epic fail already!?

• 20-05-2013 10:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Only in Ireland....multiple reports countrywide rolling in of enabled exchanges, on phase 1, on the enabled list - people are ringing up, not available to them

:rolleyes:

Cowboys.......:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

I did say dont get too excited, what I cant fathom is NO ONE will post a speed test of the new fibre, absolutely weird. I am waiting for a bit to let it all settle down.

But eircom will have received quite a few emails in advance, oops sorry I was going to assume some advance planning would have taken place... wrong country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I did say dont get too excited, what I cant fathom is NO ONE will post a speed test of the new fibre, absolutely weird. I am waiting for a bit to let it all settle down.

But eircom will have received quite a few emails in advance, oops sorry I was going to assume some advance planning would have taken place... wrong country.

Lets all move to Japan....now there is a well run country! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Saw this on another thread:
    I got all excited today when I looked at the efibre map on the Eircom website. Even though I live in Monasterboice, Im near Donegans which is bright green, meaning that the exchange is enabled for efibre now.

I called Eircom and was told that although Im actually connected to the Drogheda exchange and my area is indeed enabled, its not yet available to my home as the local cabinet has not yet been upgraded. They say they have a lead time of approx 2 weeks, and that I should give them a call around that time.

So does that mean that even though its possibly phase one (efibre enabled) and yet the cab isnt upgraded yet?

that is weird, can you actually see the new VDSL2 cabinet near you? And who did you ring in eircom, ie was it 1901 sales??

by the way did you put your tel no. into the line checker on the eircom efibre page? I have checked mine and it says line is good for up to 50mb but not for the 70mb. This is in fact correct as I am 800 metres from one cabinet BUT VF says it is suitable for up to 70mb. I have a cabinet even closer ie less than 200metres but its getting switched to that is the snag. apparently it can be done but I want to stay with VF and its tricky with VF, you dont know who you get when you ring.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    that is weird, can you actually see the new VDSL2 cabinet near you? And who did you ring in eircom, ie was it 1901 sales??

Is that to me? I was quoting a post from a poster in a different thread.

According to the agent I called this morning - where I'm located isnt due for an upgrade yet I am in the enabled area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

According to the map, Drogheda in ready to go. According to the sales agent, Drogheda is phase 2 which is a couple of months away.

what about the line checker? that should tell you if line is ready.

yes I was referring your post but did not twig it was refer to another poster.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There was an interesting article in one of the UK mags a couple of months ago about the state of BB In Britain and it was stated in the article that one of the most common complaints from users was being told that their exchange had been enabled but the local cabinet had not yet been connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

The problem is that these launches should be done discretely i.e. no fancy advertising other than letters and phone calls made to existing customers i.e. those who have stayed with them and suffered the dreadful 8Mb speeds. Then when a significant majority of your current customers are happy with the service, launch nation wide so anyone can change service or upgrade.

The problem now is that there will be 1-2 week waiting periods for installation and then there's the issue of the backlog in upgrades. Apparently I still can't get it and I was told to call back in 2 weeks when I am in a fibre enabled area (phase one) and the housing estate beside me can get it.

They had their chance to redeem themselves with this launch but they have failed miserably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

I didnt see it in the last thread, Is there a list or map of what exchanges are in what phases, along with the roll out date?
    Thanks

FOUND IT
    http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

phill106 wrote: »
    I didnt see it in the last thread, Is there a list or map of what exchanges are in what phases, along with the roll out date?
    Thanks

Dont put your faith in the map, I am close to 3 boxes in a reletively large dublin town and not joy on Fibre,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Dont put your faith in the map, I am close to 3 boxes in a reletively large dublin town and not joy on Fibre,

Yeah a new box is 20 feet from my house, magnet seem to think it is not available yet, same with eircom

It is a bit farsical really. Apparantly only 7 exchanges are going live today. The map is very misleading.

phill106 wrote: »
    Yeah a new box is 20 feet from my house, magnet seem to think it is not available yet, same with eircom

We have new cabinet at front of the estate, in Drogheda, which is ready to go according to the map, but the sales girl i was talking to said Drogheda is actually phase 2, couple months away.

I'm about 200 meters away from a box. Still can't get it. Complete farce.

I rang Vodafone just as a test and they said they would call back tomorrow. I don't think I will be going with them but hopefully their information might be updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Well for one thing the eircom checker on their site is an absolute joke. Two houses in my estate are only listed.

Yet I rang the sales team there told them my line and they said I'm able to avail of the fibre. She tried putting me over to the people to discuss deals or what not, but I couldn't get through with too many calls.

So I still don't know if I can get it or not.

One thing for sure is they should get rid of their checker on the site absolute farce of a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This is funny, not one speed test posted as of yet....

Fieldog wrote: »

I'd be surprised considering it requires a new router at the users end to avail of the higher speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Fieldog wrote: »

Think they said they wouldn't be installing until Thursday. Don't quote me on that though!

Today is sign up day. You probably wont see speed tests for another 5-7 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

If its not available to you yet will they put you on a list and come install it whenever it is available and just use whatever speed you can handle until then?

Not very likely. They have messed up the launch, i doubt they could manage a list like that.

bush wrote: »
    If its not available to you yet will they put you on a list and come install it whenever it is available and just use whatever speed you can handle until then?

I wouldnt be too reliant on that list to be honest!

I'd be surprised considering it requires a new router at the users end to avail of the higher speeds.

Not in all cases it doesn't....

Im a relatively new customer of Magnet, when they sent me out a router I made sure it was ready/compatible for Fat Pipe Fibre as there was no point in sending me 2 routers, I think Eircom may do it via a tech install which is ridiculous - apparently they are only going out to check your phoneline whilst installing the router.

It's just the matter of Eircom hitting a switch so Magnet can hit a switch and then we should be good to go, so there is possibility of some of us on here in that boat....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 skobywan

Only in Ireland....multiple reports countrywide rolling in of enabled exchanges, on phase 1, on the enabled list - people are ringing up, not available to them

:rolleyes:

Cowboys.......:mad:

Hey Lads,

Just upgraded to UPCs fiber power broadband this morning. Was getting 45 up and 4 down before now getting between 90 - 110 up /10 down.

Speedtest screenshot:
    http://imgur.com/rzDkMBQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

skobywan wrote: »
    Hey Lads,

Just upgraded to UPCs fiber power broadband this morning. Was getting 45 up and 4 down before now getting between 90 - 110 up /10 down.

Speedtest screenshot:

Thats nice, but most people posting here have either had terrible problems with UPC or its just not available in their area, so they can't get it, im sure if they could they would be with them already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Greatgas

I'm on what eircom call a split line so I can't even get dial up never mind anything else

skobywan wrote: »
    Hey Lads,

Speedtest screenshot:

Jealous - thanks you have just ruined my day

Mc Love wrote: »
    Jealous - thanks you have just ruined my day

Have UPC not always been FTTH from the get go? And not the FTTC/ADSL that we are waiting for?

Not many rural area's offer UPC....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

At first, I was really looking forward to see I'm included in the May to June 2013 upgrade for Carrick-on-Shannon, where I live atm. Literally 2 hours ago it was clearly there on the map. Now, couple of minutes ago checked again, all of sudden it says Carrick is in Phase 3, July to December 2013.

What a farse!

I'm cancelling this useless eircon broadband as soon as I get a chance and go for Sky's 40 euro deal for 1 year subscribed until Eircom puts their sh*t together, if that ever happens at all...who knows, SKy might be able to rent in 1 year time once Eircom's established...

Advertisement