Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre launch - epic fail already!?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I was promised that Enniscorthy would be live this month,as of this morning they were digging up the footpath in one estate trying to get power to a cab.
    I'll give 'em a week or so & see how progress is going,as it stands Enniscorthy is roughly 6 months ahead of schedule so getting fibre within the next few weeks will be a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Fieldog wrote: »
    Have UPC not always been FTTH from the get go? And not the FTTC/ADSL that we are waiting for?

Not many rural area's offer UPC....

They don't have FTTH.

This is real FTTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

red_bairn wrote: »
    They don't have FTTH.

This is real FTTH.

How is it done then as a matter of interest?

Just standard Co-Ax cabling coming through the wall?

How is it done then as a matter of interest?

Just standard Co-Ax cabling coming through the wall?

aye. Here is an article on what they use.

Not even Greystones has UPC BB and Bray does. Such a joke. They are missing out. Eircom will get all those potential customers. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Morrisseyy

aye. Here is an article on what they use.

Not even Greystones has UPC BB and Bray does. Such a joke. They are missing out. Eircom will get all those potential customers. :rolleyes:

I think Charlesland has UPC but not 100%!

• Advertisement

Morrisseyy wrote: »
    I think Charlesland has UPC but not 100%!

Yeah, those new areas being the exception. But even those people have trouble with fluctuating speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They don't have FTTH.

This is real FTTH.

This is real FTTH

http://www.fibrexchange.com.sg/around-the-world/world-fastest-internet/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 skobywan

This is funny, not one speed test posted as of yet....

I posted mine there Fieldog....

allen175 wrote: »
    Thats nice, but most people posting here have either had terrible problems with UPC or its just not available in their area, so they can't get it, im sure if they could they would be with them already.

I've had nothing but problems with them. I've single handedly gone to town on their customer support for being lying asshat on this form. I will not give them credit for anything, they're an awful company with a terrible service. I won't argue that.

I just decided to upgrade after seeing the thread this morning. In all fairness to them it took about a half an hour with no router upgrade needed. That was my speedtest as of that time.

I took another one a few minutes ago and it seems that during peak time they still throttle. My downloads gone to 30mb and my upload is below 1mb.

TLDR;

Go with UPC Fibre, you will get 100MB for about 3 hours a day, and as long as you don't expect any improvement over dial-up between 4pm and 1am you'll be absolutely fine.

• Advertisement

skobywan wrote: »
    I've had nothing but problems with them. I've single handedly gone to town on their customer support for being lying asshat on this form. I will not give them credit for anything, they're an awful company with a terrible service. I won't argue that.

I just decided to upgrade after seeing the thread this morning. In all fairness to them it took about a half an hour with no router upgrade needed. That was my speedtest as of that time.

I took another one a few minutes ago and it seems that during peak time they still throttle. My downloads gone to 30mb and my upload is below 1mb.

TLDR;

Go with UPC Fibre, you will get 100MB for about 3 hours a day, and as long as you don't expect any improvement over dial-up between 4pm and 1am you'll be absolutely fine.

Where did you post the speed test?

Where did you post the speed test?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2720456502.png

There's a retake as of 10 mins ago for you.

Keep in mind a half hour before that I was getting 34/1.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2720456502.png

There's a retake as of 10 mins ago for you.

Keep in mind a half hour before that I was getting 34/1.

Ah, but the lads and lassies wanna see tests for Eircom fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

When taking about not seeing speed tests I believe we are referring to eircom.

UPC are very unreliable and I need the faster upload which Eircom are offering. Plus I'm only 200 meters away from the eircom cab so I will hopefully get some good consistent speeds if/when I get it.

Ah, but the lads and lassies wanna see tests for Eircom fibre.

Are the exchanges for fiber any different? I don't know. It's fiber so it should be comparable.

Are the exchanges for fiber any different? I don't know. It's fiber so it should be comparable.

When you are saying fiber to the exchange, I'm assuming you are speaking about the cabinets now. But yes, they will be. Customers will be able to avail of upload speeds up to 20Mb.

Advertisement