Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

train tickets in London

Options
  • 20-05-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

hi all

i am going to be in London for 4 days in mid June and will be travelling into the city from hertfordshire every day. last time i was there i remember the rail tickets cost a fortune but somebody told me that it may be possible to book tickets in advance and get a cheaper price. is that possible and if so which site do i go to?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

thetrainline.com

Usually cheaper to travel outside of peak hours. And probably cheaper to buy singles/returns for specific individual trains rather than open returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What's the name of the station you'll be using? Will those days be including a weekend? What time trains are you thinking of? Will you be using the tube and busses in London? Will you be staying at a friends in Hertfordshire?

One possibility is to buy a Network Railcard (or get a lens of one, even better) and buy discounted tickets. The ticket to provably get wpuld be a travelcard which is a return ticket plus unlimited zones 1-6 tube and bus. Weekday it will mean having to depart after 10am and not get a returning train between 4 and 7 pm. Weekend it has same validity as a standard travelcard. The card costs 28 though so you'd have to do the maths to see if its worth it.

Meant to add that this card can be used by people travelling together up to 4 people I think and would. Probably not be worth buying if you're on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jester144

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

i will be travelling in and out whenever i want so off peak times are no problem. the name of the station escapes me but it is the main one in berkhamstead. thanks to everyone for the replies

Any more info?
    Like tube or not?
    Multiple people?
    Weekend or only midweek?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

i am on my own and it will be midweek. also i will have to get tube tickets

Well then it looks like it's £13.50 off-peak return per day or £19 with a Travelcard (which enables full use of London's tubes and buses).
    Would not be worth getting the travelcard if you are only taking one or two tube journey's, but after that a travelcard is best.
    Avoids you having to bother with an Oyster card too.

It's hard to avoid paying hefty prices for the travel you're trying to do.

If you were to use a Network Railcard to reduce the costs, it would reduce your £19/day to £13/day saving you 6x4=£24 but at a cost for the card of £28 so not worth it unless you can resell the card to someone or better yet, get a lend of a Network Railcard for the week.

Advertisement