Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Kayak Course for the Unemployed

Options
  • 20-05-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi All,

Kilkenny Leader Partnership and Pure Adventure.ie have teamed up and are offering a Free Kayaking Course for the Unemployed.

Its a 8 Session Course with the goal being completing Canoeing Ireland Level 2 skills award and RSR 1 (River Safety Rescue) Certificate.

Course starts Next Monday May 27th, Based out of Graiguenamanagh, Co Kilkenny

For a place on the course and for More Info Contact Alison in Kilkenny LEADER partnership on 086-0244336

Link to Poster Here: http://www.cklp.ie/?p=1613

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

For anyone that who is unemployed, I strongly recommend giving this a try. Kayaking is class and clashganny isn't a bad spot to learn, Also Paddy is a top instructor.

Seriously if you're unemployed and it's free what's stopping you?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

What an absolute waste of taxpayers money. Surely the government could spend this money in our hospitals etc.. Looks like the KK leader were trying to get rid of their remaining budget!!!!

Well giving people an option to do exercise, get off the couch and maybe take up a sport/start a career doing something different. Not a waste of money, I myself availed of a fas course last year to learn to kayak,rock climb etc and now am in full time employment because of it, but please carry on with your outrage.

Also before you point it out yes this is not a fas course but it could be the spark that starts someone out on a new path

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Any plans for a free course in the evening/weekend for working people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

its designed for unemployed people !! - I'm sure they will do a weekend course if you pay them enough (I'm sure the government/council is giving them plenty of taxpayers money !!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

1984baby wrote: »
    What an absolute waste of taxpayers money. Surely the government could spend this money in our hospitals etc.. Looks like the KK leader were trying to get rid of their remaining budget!!!!

Did you know that every euro spent on sport saves 3 on our health expenditure due to the decrease in lifestyle related illnesses. €2.7 billion is spent on illnesses caused by obesity annually, so if you spent €700,000,000 on sporting initiatives and keeping people active you could reduce the health bill by €1.8 billion (i do understand it wouldn't exactly work out like that), which could be spent on employing people, social care, paying off some of our national debt or whatever else you want to spend it on. Prevention is better than cure.

This also gives unemployed people focus, so instead of sitting at home feeling glum, it gets them out, gives them something to do and gives them a goal. Overall this helps the mentality of the individual in helping them have a more positive attitude and having focus as part of their normal life.

What KRSP is doing is something very positive for the community and they should be applauded for this not sniped at by people who are ill-informed.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

There are evening classes going on and weekend classes in the local kayak club as far as know, this is soley for unemployed people afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Grand thanks, is there any maps of where you can safely take a kayak along the river in the Kilkenny/Laois/Tipperary area?

Grand thanks, is there any maps of where you can safely take a kayak along the river in the Kilkenny/Laois/Tipperary area?

It would all depend on type of kayak, your own ability and size of your group

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Did you know that every euro spent on sport saves 3 on our health expenditure due to the decrease in lifestyle related illnesses.
    I totally agree with encouraging an active lifestyle in the population through incentives and I agree that active people are healthier and happier and less of a drain on the healthcare system but i don't see why such expenditure should specifically be targeted at unemployed people.
    so instead of sitting at home feeling glum, it gets them out,

Well I am feeling glum because I paid a nice chunk of property tax but nobody is bringing me kayaking for free. I am feeling glum because that money took me lot of hard work and effort to earn, I don't have much of it and it's being spent bringing people on holiday camp.

At €112 a pop it takes 267 individual households just to cover an elected public representative's overtime bill of €30,000. Another 116 households will cover his €13,000 mileage.

That's why I'm feeling glum

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »
    I totally agree with encouraging an active lifestyle in the population through incentives and I agree that active people are healthier and happier and less of a drain on the healthcare system but i don't see why such expenditure should specifically be targeted at unemployed people.

Well I am feeling glum because I paid a nice chunk of property tax but nobody is bringing me kayaking for free. I am feeling glum because that money took me lot of hard work and effort to earn, I don't have much of it and it's being spent bringing people on holiday camp.

At €112 a pop it takes 267 individual households just to cover an elected public representative's overtime bill of €30,000. Another 116 households will cover his €13,000 mileage.

That's why I'm feeling glum
    yes because andrew mcguiness is running these. What a stupid point to bring up and thats from someone who has no love for andrew. Jesus christ this is something good. All the time people bitch and moan how people on the dole just sit on their holes all day or spend it on drink. Yet when something is set up to give them something else to do that might just give them a tiny bit of accomplishment people tear it down.

Are they not supposed to be looking for work?

Sky King wrote: »
    Are they not supposed to be looking for work?

Aye just ignore the point I said earlier about this possibly being a spark that makes them set out on a different career path

yes because andrew mcguiness is running these. What a stupid point to bring up and thats from someone who has no love for andrew.

It's not a stupid point to bring up. Captain Havoc said that people on the dole are feeling glum because they are out of work and need a free kayak course to cheer them up.

I am simply pointing out that people who work for a living also have things that make them glum, such as profligate public expenditure on astronomical overtime bills, and indeed funding free kayak courses through their hard earned tax money.

It's a bit meta; maybe if you read my post a little bit more carefully you would have understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SUPing

Still Places available on this course, contact the Nuber on the poster Tomorrow if you would like a place!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

1984baby wrote: »

Absolutely. Or spend it on something useful like CV writing and interview skills/jobseeking for the unemployed. Kayaking is a leisure activity and should not be paid for by the taxpayer in this manner.

Advertisement