Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some speeding fine questions

• 20-05-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, I was caught speeding by the Gardaí a few months ago but received no letter, or so I thought. Today I found the letter, rang the fixed charge office but was told that as more than two months had passed it was out of their hands and a summons would be on the way to me.

Will I have to go to court where the offence happened? (I live in Cork but it happened in Clare).

I've heard Gardaí don't always turn up in court, will the judge still hear my case? I can't afford to take multiple days off - I'm in full time training with FAS.

I don't want a criminal record, is this a likely outcome?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Can't give legal advice but almost all of these questions have been answered, in the hypothetical, on this forum if you do a quick search.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hardwood

Can't give legal advice but almost all of these questions have been answered, in the hypothetical, on this forum if you do a quick search.

Before posting I searched the forum, read many questions about speeding fines and could find answers to NONE of the above questions which is why I started a new thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

hardwood wrote: »
    Hi, I was caught speeding by the Gardaí a few months ago but received no letter, or so I thought. Today I found the letter, rang the fixed charge office but was told that as more than two months had passed it was out of their hands and a summons would be on the way to me.

Will I have to go to court where the offence happened? (I live in Cork but it happened in Clare).

I've heard Gardaí don't always turn up in court, will the judge still hear my case? I can't afford to take multiple days off - I'm in full time training with FAS.

I don't want a criminal record, is this a likely outcome?

Thanks in advance.

if a summons is on its way .... YES - you do have to goto court - or have someone represent you (most likely a solicitor).

the judge will hear your case if you plead NOT guilty, if you plead guilty the judge will listen to the garda's evidence and give you a conviction/fine, you may be given an opportunity to say something but to be honest - what can you say - you were caught speeding, you received a fine and you didn't pay it.

the whole thing will take about 4/5 mins when it gets started but you may be waiting a few hours for you case to come up - all depends on where it is in the courts list.

you can appeal to the judges better nature but - you are accused of speeding ...did you speed or didn't you ?? (Guilty or not guilty of the offence)

you say you didn't receive a letter - but strangely enough you mysteriously found it - which means you DID receive it and ignored/forgot about it.

next step in court appearance - guilty plea, conviction...fine and then go home, pay the fine or do jail time in lieu of a fine.

ALL THIS INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE BY SIMPLY SEARCHING AND READING - NOT JUST ON BOARDS BUT IN GENERAL ON THE INTERNET !!

Advertisement