Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Wireless Display - not working properly after upgrade to Win 8

Options
  • 20-05-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭

osversion: Windows 8
    systemtype: Dell XPS 15 L501x
    widi_preinstalled: Yes
    widi_receiver: Netgear Push 2 TV PTV1000100UKS
    widi_version:3.0.13
    wireless_driver_version: 15.4.1.1
    graphics_driver_version: 8.15.10.2858
    problem:

I installed a new SSD in my laptop and installed Windows 8 on it. However, Intel Wireless display does not work on my system with version 3.0.13. I have tried to install version 3.5.40 as suggested by Intel Update Manager but this install failed. Version 4.0.18 is not compatible with my laptop as it is a 2010 processor.

The WiDi application will start but will very briefly display the following message before closing (I have a screen shot with the error message) "The application has an issue. Please close and restart the application or consult Common Solutions to Many issues {link} in Intel WiDi Help". I cannot click the link as the message closes very rapidly. I have been unable to find a solution myself at the Intel help section.

Intel Support have told me to contact dell, dell won't give me support as my laptop is out of warranty.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

thanks
    Able

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

fixed - the wireless driver that the intel automatic update installed was the wrong one. Intel PROSet/wireless software needed to be installed instead. found it myself thru trial and error. so much for product support....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Yeah widi support is diabolical. I have an Asus ultrabook with widi but it doesn't work with my Belkin Screencast.
    Said adapter works fine with a Dell Ultrabook I tested on. Intel want nothing to do with it, Asus just ask me to return the laptop, and I wouldn't get it back for a month.
    Tried many different wifi drives, widi drivers, display drivers. All Intels bulll**** software, no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

WiDi seemed rather gimmicky when they were pushing it. I wasn't a fan. 10ft or so range with direct line of sight in most applications. **** that. It's been problematic to say the least. All 4th gen Core processors are now supposed to support it as standard, but to hell with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Yeah widi support is diabolical. I have an Asus ultrabook with widi but it doesn't work with my Belkin Screencast.
    Said adapter works fine with a Dell Ultrabook I tested on. Intel want nothing to do with it, Asus just ask me to return the laptop, and I wouldn't get it back for a month.
    Tried many different wifi drives, widi drivers, display drivers. All Intels bulll**** software, no joy

Finally got this working with a Netgear Push2TV. Delighted now that it is working. It will display anything from my laptop, so I'm not as restricted as with say Google chromecast. Never got the Belkin working after about 40 hours of messing with different drivers. If anyone wants to know which combination of drivers worked, I will post it here.

Advertisement