Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concerned over dogs - who do I contact in Cork?

• 20-05-2013 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, I am very concerned about the welfare of a neighbour's two dogs. One is a very large dog who in the last year we have only seen when s/he is barking at the window. I cannot say what breed it is. I should say it is a very small house with a tiny garden. The other is a jrt x (and large for that breed) which we have seen as it frequently escapes - it is emaciated. Ribs very clearly showing.

When they first moved in both dogs were occasionally walked and both looked grand health wise. But about two months ago I encountered the jrt x as she ran along a main road and I was shocked at her appearance. I tried to catch her but it was difficult as I had my own 3 with me and she became very aggressive (this is new - I have in the past given her many a rub - when she somehow used to manage to get into my enclosed garden-and she never showed any aggression toward me or my dogs). I commented to the neighbour that I had seen her dog up to a mile away and asked if she was ill as she seemed a bit skinny. I was told she is always getting out and she's grand.

Only seen the jrt about twice since (both times running along a busy road) but OH encountered her last night while out walking our pampered pups and was horrified at her condition. Completely emaciated looking and becoming even more aggressive.

So my question is - who do I report it to? Am in Cork city.

I have never done any thing like this before and want to help the dogs, not have them end up in the pound where they may be pts. Apparently both dogs are originally from a rescue in Meath so they have already been through that trauma ...:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

http://www.ispca.ie/suspect_animal_cruelty/

However I'd be finding out where in Meath they came from and getting onto the rescue, with any luck there's a rehoming contract in place that might allow them to get the dogs back or at least pay a follow up home visit to assess the situation. The whole point of rescue is to make things better for the dog, not worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Toulouse wrote: »
    http://www.ispca.ie/suspect_animal_cruelty/

However I'd be finding out where in Meath they came from and getting onto the rescue, with any luck there's a rehoming contract in place that might allow them to get the dogs back or at least pay a follow up home visit to assess the situation. The whole point of rescue is to make things better for the dog, not worse!

We only know they are rescue dogs from Meath as when their owners first moved in they told OH - it was one of those 'wow, that's a big dog and that's a big jrt :eek:' passing conversations and the owners laughed and said they had got them from a rescue in Meath and didn't expect either to grow so big. Only way we could find out which rescue is to ask the neighbours...
    Both dogs looked in fine fettle then and we would on occasion see them being taken out for a walk.

It may be that the jrt x is ill but I first noticed the huge change in her appearance and behaviour about 2 months ago and she is dis improving. OH was really horrified last night - she said her stomach is up to her backbone (if you know what I mean), all of her ribs are clearly visible as is her spine.

Have contacted the ISPCA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

well, ireland is a small place, ask around the various rescues charities, maybe they can help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Yep, I'd be mailing their name around the Meath rescues.

Having said that there's one in Meath I know couldn't give a fiddlers where their dogs go, don't homecheck and more than likely won't have any records so you might be hitting your head off a brick wall there.

But I think it's worth a shot on the off chance that they did come from a reputable place that would want to know what is happening.

Advertisement