Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Project Maths vs. existing format

Options
  • 20-05-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Wondering can you shed some light on this for me please;

I am giving a friend’s son grinds for the Junior cert Maths exam; he prefers the existing structure of the exam (6 questions, 50 marks each), rather than the new Project Maths format.

My question is, if Project Maths is available to take at the school in which one is taking one’s exam (as is the case here), do you have the option to choose the regular / existing ordinary level paper, or do you have to take Project Maths?

Any advice from those who know, would be much appreciated;
    Thanks, P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Hi all,
    Wondering can you shed some light on this for me please;

I am giving a friend’s son grinds for the Junior cert Maths exam; he prefers the existing structure of the exam (6 questions, 50 marks each), rather than the new Project Maths format.

My question is, if Project Maths is available to take at the school in which one is taking one’s exam (as is the case here), do you have the option to choose the regular / existing ordinary level paper, or do you have to take Project Maths?

Any advice from those who know, would be much appreciated;
    Thanks, P
    You have to take project maths if the class he is in does it. It sucks, I know, but I guess there's nothing you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

You have to take project maths if the class he is in does it. It sucks, I know, but I guess there's nothing you can do

Cheers Pancakes;
    Can I ask where this info is available? I ask because I thought Project Maths was an optional course / exam format?

Anyone else have some (alternative) opinions / links to relevant info? This wasn't the answer I was looking for!

I was trying to get out of the lad whether it's a case of; morning of the exam,

Invigilator - hello; honours or pass?
    Him - pass please
    I - Regular pass or project maths pass?
    H - regular please

He wasn't sure.

Thanks again;
    P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For Junior Cert., their levels are already entered. There is not the same leeway to change level on the day as there is in the Leaving.

spurious wrote: »
    For Junior Cert., their levels are already entered. There is not the same leeway to change level on the day as there is in the Leaving.

Ok,
    Cheers Spurious; so from what you're both saying, there's no choice; either you're doing higher or ordinary, project or non-project; you've already decided what level, and if your school / class is doing Project, then that's the exam you're taking. Does that sound about right?

Again is there any official info out there in link form you could point me to? Where and when would he have chosen / specified ordinary level / Project maths? He's not very clear himself and it's not the kind of info that seems readily available.

Apologies if this has been discussed on here ad nauseum by the way.

Thanks again for the advice.
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

Paper 1 in Maths is the exact same structure and questions to other years. However paper 2 has been changed to project maths or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 megan_t

http://www.themathstutor.ie/free-booklet.html

Courtesy of themathstutor.ie… they put a Facebook post up asking someone to link you this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

If he's in one of the schools on this list, then he's doing the whole new syllabus (Phase 3). Both of his papers will be in the new style.

If he's not in one of those schools, he's doing Phase 1 of the new syllabus (strands 1 and 2). In this case, his paper 1 will be just like the old style, and his paper 2 will be in the new style.

Good stuff thanks one and all, I am up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jack_OLantern

As a student, I REALLY hate project maths. It is stupid and off the point. It is needlessly complicated. I could probably do the sum, if asked straight up, but it's like trying to decipher morse code! I got 89% in Paper 1 and 68% in paper 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭mobydopy

are all schools in ireland doing the new project maths

Advertisement