Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Thefts - why is nothing been done?

Options
  • 20-05-2013 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Since moving to Ferrybank 6 months ago all I hear about it the huge amount of dogs getting stolen. I have 2 dogs myself and I have been warned by numerous people (neighbors, shop keepers, parents at the school) to make sure I never leave them unattended in the garden etc in case they get stolen.

I am shocked by the sheer number of people who have had their dogs stolen (or assumed stolen) but even more shocked that everyone seems to know who has been doing it! The brothers are referred to as the dog thieves!!

Why has nothing ever been done about it, people say they report it but the Guards do nothing! why not?

Im seriously thinking of moving again as we are always on edge about something happening to our dogs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

I totally agree with you Meowski. I cannot believe something is not being done about this either if it is so widely known who these guys are. Are they selling on these dogs and if so where are they doing this? Are they selling through any particular website? This is very serious and very sad for the people whose dogs have been stolen. Have the guards ever visited these people I wonder?
    Its a sad state of affairs if you would have to move house over these sick individuals. I think its every dog lovers nightmare that their pets would be stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Some 'people' are above the law and frankly don't give a crap if they are caught unfortunately.

Saw a facebook post by the Deise Animal Sanctuary warning about this claiming the are using the dogs as bait for training fighting dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Twoelles

thomasm wrote: »
    Some 'people' are above the law and frankly don't give a crap if they are caught unfortunately.

Saw a facebook post by the Deise Animal Sanctuary warning about this claiming the are using the dogs as bait for training fighting dogs.

The two aren't related. The post by the deise animal sanctuary is about a warning that is been posted up in local shops in Waterford. There are rumours that there is another gang in operation with regards to the dog fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Deise Animal Sanctuary

Hello my name is Tabby, I am a beautiful and very friendly cat. I am well looked after and have all my injections up to date and have also been spayed.
    I love to sunbathe and chase butterflies when the weather is warm but when its cold I love nothing better than snuggling up with my human, and keep us both warm.
    Sadly my human has to move away and she has tried hard to find a way to take me with her but she can't. It is upsetting for the both of us. I would love to find someone who would love me and take care of me, and In return I promise to give keep laps warm in winter and purr lots.
    If you would like to be that special person in my life, please email my owner at maddie1smyth@gmail.com
    Thank you.
    Ohh holy jasus,now cats can write.

Is there anything can be done about these 'dog thieves' then or is this just going to continue happening? Whats the next step?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

A friend of mine was going to buy a dog, think it was a german sheppard and her husband was sure it was a good idea for home security till a friend of his told that his pregnant German Shepard was stolen they didnt hear a thing, stolen in the night no barking, Think an electric fence would be better, sure theyd try to kill that too

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

yes everyone knows whos doing it, yes the guards know about it, yes its the same 2 things that keep doing it. the guards are afraid of them its as simple as that. they dont want to know when it comes to those 2. they will simply say theres nothing they can do. ive witnessed it first hand. sometimes if your lucky enough theyll give the dog back for a large fee. amazing country this.

Where are these guys selling the dogs? Surely something more has to be done. This can't keep going on. Fozz you said you witnessed this first hand, is it possible that you could let us know your story maybe?

Brianne wrote: »
    Where are these guys selling the dogs? Surely something more has to be done. This can't keep going on. Fozz you said you witnessed this first hand, is it possible that you could let us know your story maybe? I'm not gonna say anything but if anyone know guards personally just ask them they'll tell u the same thing they just don't wanna be getting involved with em. I a also know a woman who paid 300 to get her dog back from them. They will just keep doing it caus. They know no laws only there own and there left away with it.

Are these dogs kept where they live and in what conditions? Does dog warden ever pay them a visit. There has to be a way of stopping this surely. How long has this been going on? Are these guys involved in other stufff besides this?

• Advertisement

Are these dogs kept where they live and in what conditions? Does dog warden ever pay them a visit. There has to be a way of stopping this surely. How long has this been going on? Are these guys involved in other stufff besides this?
    They also breed dogs and keep them in the boot all night, all small dogs. You'll see them running around all day. BYes the dog warden always calls and helps them with any dogs that are sick. He's probably over with them weekly. All for free of course. It wouldn't be fair to charge them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

spankmemunkey, I've deleted your post as its off-topic for the thread.
    If you have something proper to add then by all means please post, however your post had no relevance.

Cabaal wrote: »
    spankmemunkey, I've deleted your post as its off-topic for the thread.
    If you have something proper to add then by all means please post, however your post had no relevance.

Okay i hope you find your dog, I see your gonna be busy on here if your gonna start stopping people using humour on the site, I will send you private messages from now on when i see other people using humour and not talkig specificly about a topic and another member of the moderation team that ive been speaking to already to see you do that too in the spirit of fairness.

fozz10 wrote: »
    They also breed dogs and keep them in the boot all night, all small dogs. You'll see them running around all day. BYes the dog warden always calls and helps them with any dogs that are sick. He's probably over with them weekly. All for free of course. It wouldn't be fair to charge them.

I cant believe what Im hearing, you say the warden calls and helps them. Now at least Im glad the sick dogs are being helped by somebody but what about the licence situation? Does that mean then all these dogs are licenced??

Well thats the great country we live in. They pay for nothing. That warden is there a few times a week. License!!! don't make me laugh!!! If they do they got it for free!

Is the warden aware that these people are involved in stealing dogs? How exactly does the warden help the sick dogs?

Is the warden aware that these people are involved in stealing dogs?

I have no idea. But it's as plain as day

Who are these people? why are you afraid to say it? this was the exact reason behind my posts about Tesco Petrol in Ballybeg,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Who are these people? why are you afraid to say it? this was the exact reason behind my posts about Tesco Petrol in Ballybeg,

FFS, as the Mod pointed out AGAIN in your empty shop thread, without a link or proof of wrong doing, naming people will result in a ban.
    It was quite clear about damaging and tarnishing people's and businesses good name on Boards without any real, solid proof.

FFS, as the Mod pointed out AGAIN in your empty shop thread, without a link or proof of wrong doing, naming people will result in a ban.
    It was quite clear about damaging and tarnishing people's and businesses good name on Boards without any real, solid proof.

If you dont like what i say "FFS" dont reply to me keep away from me you are harrassing me you are following me around and are a pest, stop trying to engage me and these directs verbal insults toward me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wonder how many of these dogs which are being stolen are chipped or in some way legally identifiable? Having a picture and saying "that is my dog" is not enough.

Luckily, it will soon be a legal requirement to have all dogs chipped, and that should bring an end to this kind of carry on. Personally, if your dog is not chipped and licensed, and gets stolen, then i've no sympathy. You leave yourself no chance of proving that a dog is yours without either of them. Same as someone who leaves valuables/handbags on display in a car. No, it's not nice to have your car broken into, but it happens, and leaving someone valuable on display is only tempting fate. People have to realise that crime is increasing, and no one is safe. Prevention is better than cure!!!

People are blaming the Gardai. I'm blue in the face from saying that the Gardai cannot do anything without proof! CCTV, witness statements of people who actually saw the theft, witnesses who are willing to go to court and testify, etc. Would be a great country to just pull these people up in front of a judge, say "they did it" and land them in jail. But then anyone could land anyone in jail. It's all about the evidence; good, hard, indisputable evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I wonder how many of these dogs which are being stolen are chipped or in some way legally identifiable? Having a picture and saying "that is my dog" is not enough.

Luckily, it will soon be a legal requirement to have all dogs chipped, and that should bring an end to this kind of carry on. Personally, if your dog is not chipped and licensed, and gets stolen, then i've no sympathy. You leave yourself no chance of proving that a dog is yours without either of them. Same as someone who leaves valuables/handbags on display in a car. No, it's not nice to have your car broken into, but it happens, and leaving someone valuable on display is only tempting fate. People have to realise that crime is increasing, and no one is safe. Prevention is better than cure!!!

People are blaming the Gardai. I'm blue in the face from saying that the Gardai cannot do anything without proof! CCTV, witness statements of people who actually saw the theft, witnesses who are willing to go to court and testify, etc. Would be a great country to just pull these people up in front of a judge, say "they did it" and land them in jail. But then anyone could land anyone in jail. It's all about the evidence; good, hard, indisputable evidence.

Don't matter about the chip or licence as unfortuately these scum bags normally cut out the chip forst if they feel it under the skin of the dog.Thats half the problem as even if the cops catch hem with a dog and the chip is removed there's very little proof that its not theirs.
    Bit harsh not to have any sympathy on some one who's dog gets robbed even if their not chipped.Not having a micro chip isn't an open invite to have your dog stolen and it definitely doesn't act as a deterrant.All it really is ,is a small security blanket and a handy way for the authorities and vets to make a few quid.
    Micro chip or not , if these guys want your dog,they'll figure a way to get it.

I'll have sympathy for someone whose dog gets robbed if the dog was chipped. Even if the person who robbed it cuts out the chip, at least it shows that the owner cared about the dog enough to put some sort of back up should the dog go missing/get robbed. And i know not having a chip isn't an open invite, but it's a deterrent. You will always have criminals who commit crime regardless of the deterrents, but deciding that "ah shur, if it's going to happen it's going to happen, why bother chipping?" is the same as leaving your front door open when you leave, or leaving your car unlocked in a car park. It's not an invitation, but it makes it easier, and the easier the crime, the higher the probability of the crime happening.

People are very quick to blame others, when the basic steps are not followed by themselves.

Its Kinda like bike theft. Its just being accepted and there are no prosecutions. The unfortunate thing, having a dog stolen for alot of family's is like a kidnapping and can be a very traumatic for the family. But not for anybody else which makes it even more traumatic as there is no support.

Gardai are being stretched too thin thanks to the current government's cuts. Dog theft is seen as exceptable.

The unfortunate thing, having a dog stolen for alot of family's is like a kidnapping and can be a very traumatic for the family. But not for anybody else which makes it even more traumatic as there is no support.

Very true. To those who love their dogs they're part of the family and it is heart breaking when this happens. Equally for the poor dog it must be as bad and also what kind of homes to these stolen dogs go to. It is such a sad state of affairs that we have such heartless individuals out there that continue to do this and can go around laughing at the authorities knowing with their bully boy tactics they can get away with it. It certainly is a great country alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

All good points, but not the point of this thread. These thefts are happening, and when it does it's the owners get blamed for not having dogs chipped, or in a secure compound, or licenced etc. Gardai don't take it seriously and more or less shrug their shoulders. Too much hassle for them and one could speculate that they are afraid of the culprits. Regarding collecting evidence, the guards won't even try, it's the same with house burglaries, and I can say that from experience. There's no proof because they aren't bothered looking for it. Is it up to the owner to provide the proof? The thing is, it's known who the culprits are, and nothing is being done, I believe that is the point. I agree owners have responsibilities regarding security but I believe most dog owners are responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

is there any truth then that the hobos are following people home while they walk their dogs and tag the footpath or wall outside their house with a symbol as to what type of dog they have and if its worth robbing?:mad:

lewisdhead wrote: »
    All good points, but not the point of this thread. These thefts are happening, and when it does it's the owners get blamed for not having dogs chipped, or in a secure compound, or licenced etc. Gardai don't take it seriously and more or less shrug their shoulders. Too much hassle for them and one could speculate that they are afraid of the culprits. Regarding collecting evidence, the guards won't even try, it's the same with house burglaries, and I can say that from experience. There's no proof because they aren't bothered looking for it. Is it up to the owner to provide the proof? The thing is, it's known who the culprits are, and nothing is being done, I believe that is the point. I agree owners have responsibilities regarding security but I believe most dog owners are responsible.

One shouldn't speculate, they deal with these people on a daily basis so fear is not a driving factor. It's evidence. Or lack thereof. It's getting harder and harder to prove anything these days, and with the criminal side of things, it has to be "proven beyond a reasonable doubt", something which is virtually impossible without CCTV, witnesses, a paper trail, or being caught red handed. And as for collecting evidence, usually there is none to collect in cases of dog thefts.

I will say that dog theft would be low on the scale of crime, when put beside assaults, robberies, and burglaries (not to mention the serious crimes like murder, sexual assault, etc). With ever decreasing numbers, and ever increasing incidents of robberies and burglaries, more effort is going to be made on those cases. It would be great to put a full, proper investigation into every crime, but it's just not possible any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

One shouldn't speculate, they deal with these people on a daily basis so fear is not a driving factor. It's evidence. Or lack thereof. It's getting harder and harder to prove anything these days, and with the criminal side of things, it has to be "proven beyond a reasonable doubt", something which is virtually impossible without CCTV, witnesses, a paper trail, or being caught red handed. And as for collecting evidence, usually there is none to collect in cases of dog thefts.

I will say that dog theft would be low on the scale of crime, when put beside assaults, robberies, and burglaries (not to mention the serious crimes like murder, sexual assault, etc). With ever decreasing numbers, and ever increasing incidents of robberies and burglaries, more effort is going to be made on those cases. It would be great to put a full, proper investigation into every crime, but it's just not possible any more.

Dog theft would be low on the scale of crime to be fair. But when if think about it even if you take the dog out of it is still theft, handling of stolen goods, possibly selling stolen goods. Not to mention the fact that people are who steal dogs are quite often involved in other nefarious activities, if they are happy to steal a dog they will be happy to steal anything else at the very least.

I'm not from Waterford, just popped into this thread because this has become a massive problem in the last few years up and down the country. A few weeks ago a friend of mine had their dog stolen, he was chipped, and an unusual breed not one you would come across very often. Not a sight nor sign of him has been seen yet. The owner has been told by the guards that they are watching a gang that they believe are involved and they are keeping him up to date in the situation. I know of atleast 2 gangs operating in my area. Not by name or anything, just whispers. They aren't just stealing one dog, they are stealing many, so while one dog theft might not be be very high on the guards list of priorities, numerous ones should be, one gang in my area are suspected of the theft of hundreds of dogs last year around Munster so we are talking big money. And who knows what else these types are involved in.

I would honestly prefer my dog to drop dead in front of me in the morning than be stolen, who knows the kind of hands he could fall into. It's a disgrace that people can't even have a family pet in this country without them being taken. I know that if I knew someone had my dog and tried to get me to pay a ransom I wouldn't be responsible for my actions. Scumbags :mad:

• Advertisement

meoklmrk you say you know of two gangs operating in your area. Are these the same gangs the Gardai are aware of also? Would these people be actually local to the area then too?
    Back along the posts it was mentioned that the dog warden actually regularly visits these Ferrybank dog thieves which is fairly amazing in itself. He would be better off spending his time visiting homes and giving a bit of useful advice to people in to being more safety conscious about their pets and protecting them. Amazing how times have changed, one time you had a dog who as well as being a pet was security for people if they gave a few barks to alert to someone around and now we have to protect the dogs instead of they protecting us.

Advertisement