Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Thefts - why is nothing been done?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Do they target certain breeds or just whatever they can grab?

I would have thought your average mutt would be fairly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Nothing is safe so take no chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nothing is safe, they will take any breed, the strong ones for fighting, the weak ones for bait, and the expensive ones for selling.

And i do agree that the theft of dogs is becoming a big problem, but it's a big problem in the pool of massive problems. Honestly tell me, which is more imprtant out of the following:

Dog Theft
    Burglaries
    Robberies
    Drug Crime

Each of them is increasing. I'm not saying the Gardai should not investigate 1 so they can investigate the other, but (as i keep referring) it's all about evidence. Dog Theft usually has no evidence to follow up on, other than whispers and rumours, which are not of evidential value. Burglars can leave evidence in the form of fingerprints, blood, method of entry, items taken, etc. Robberies usually occur in areas with CCTV. Drug Crime (specifically the major importers) have a trail, and bottom end users who are willing to say who they got it from so they can get out and have their next hit.

If there was more proof, more evidence, then dog crime would be easier to detect/prevent. But as it is, and as the courts are requiring more and more proof these days, it's very hard to get a conviction for it.

I;m not excusing the lack of investigation into dog theft, just trying to explain it from a legal and investigative side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Right, where are these dogs being held ? If someone can pm me the details I have no problem ringing and ringing and ringing the gardai and the dog warden. Its f***ing ridiculous that this is happening; the only way to stop it IMO is to become more of an annoyance then the people stealing the dogs.
    Please ring the gardai and the dog warden EVERY day if you actually know where stolen and mistreated dogs are being held.

Please ring the gardai and the dog warden EVERY day if you actually know where stolen and mistreated dogs are being held.

And you'll be asked for proof, and willingness to make a statement. If you have both, ring away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Obro

Right, where are these dogs being held ? If someone can pm me the details I have no problem ringing and ringing and ringing the gardai and the dog warden. Its f***ing ridiculous that this is happening; the only way to stop it IMO is to become more of an annoyance then the people stealing the dogs.

Thats the spirit ! Too many people stand by and do nothing in this country.

Need any help pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I'm afraid to say that the Gardai are a bit lazy sometimes, and will ignore crimes that are either a hassle to investigate or might cause some other hardship.

So, I add my voice, DO call them, and call again until they bother to do something about it!

I'm afraid to say that the Gardai are a bit lazy sometimes, and will ignore crimes that are either a hassle to investigate or might cause some other hardship.

So, I add my voice, DO call them, and call again until they bother to do something about it!

The Gardai should get involved as chances are these guys are in to alot of other stuff as well. Onthe the other hand they might be really good informants for the Gardai so won't be troubled.

Reminds me of a recent matter close to where I live, the Gardai called out to a guy about a small enough matter but when they were there they found the Aladin's cave of a pile of stuff that had been stolen locally over a 4 year period. Figures were put on it at around €500K

• Registered Users Posts: 21 meowski

I completely agree and will help anyway i can

Are people who have had their dogs stolen reporting it? if not maybe we can begin to compile a list of people who have had their dogs stolen. The figures are huge so they have to listen.
    and as for proof...maybe we can get some

meowski wrote: »
    I completely agree and will help anyway i can

Are people who have had their dogs stolen reporting it? if not maybe we can begin to compile a list of people who have had their dogs stolen. The figures are huge so they have to listen.
    and as for proof...maybe we can get some

Where I live , I hear of dogs been stolen every other day. Seemingly one guy goes around and identifys the houses with the dogs by leaving a coloured sticker on the gate and the actual thieves come later and carry out the theft.

Thankfully we have been lucky. We take unbelievable care to make sure we are not victims of these crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

I heard the dog warden on billy mcarthy a few weeks ago and obviously billy was receiving texts about theft of dogs but the warden said he had not seein a increase in reports so they never really talked about it to my disgust :( I know these dogs are being stolen as iv heard all about it , so why has our dog warden not being put under more pressure to try sort this problem out??? Is he too busy following dogs with no license or muzzle??? As for wlr they obviously know theirs a problem but are too afraid to properly discuss it just incase they upset the criminals or groups who are stealing dogs.... the cops wont do a thing especially with all the other crimes going unanswered.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

If someonea pm s me as much detail as possible I have no problem in making moves , the gardai , council, ispca ,dog warden and whoever else required

Tge more people who do it chances wre the problem will be retrified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Still no details or locations of dogs being stolen?

Its no wonder this is happening and will keep happening when people who have details are just keeping their mouths shut. There is a saying goes something like -All it takes for evil to prosper is for good people to remain silent- If so many people are so concerned something needs to be done quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Brianne wrote: »
    Its no wonder this is happening and will keep happening when people who have details are just keeping their mouths shut. There is a saying goes something like -All it takes for evil to prosper is for good people to remain silent- If so many people are so concerned something needs to be done quickly.

I quoted something similar on here but was criticised for it, We all know who it is yet nothing can be done, If we didnt live in such a "civilised" PC society this would have been stopped along time ago, dont forget politicians have a term and the dont want to jeopardise their strength by tackling anything controversial.

It would be a start if somebody could pm the names and address of these people. Some other poster on here mentioned this happening where he lives, if we could get those details also it would be good. We don't want any details posted up publicly. People are on here anonymous so we don't all know each other so I can't understand why this information is not been given.

It would be a start if somebody could pm the names and address of these people. Some other poster on here mentioned this happening where he lives, if we could get those details also it would be good. We don't want any details posted up publicly. People are on here anonymous so we don't all know each other so I can't understand why this information is not been given.

I would just advise you to thread carefully and be careful what you write on here! thats a friendly piece of experienced advise!

I would just advise you to thread carefully and be careful what you write on here! thats a friendly piece of experienced advise!

Thanks for that. Just wish something could be done.

Nothing is safe, they will take any breed, the strong ones for fighting, the weak ones for bait, and the expensive ones for selling.

How do you actually know this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I'll have sympathy for someone whose dog gets robbed if the dog was chipped. Even if the person who robbed it cuts out the chip, at least it shows that the owner cared about the dog enough to put some sort of back up should the dog go missing/get robbed. And i know not having a chip isn't an open invite, but it's a deterrent.
    Personally, if your dog is not chipped and licensed, and gets stolen, then i've no sympathy. You leave yourself no chance of proving that a dog is yours without either of them. Same as someone who leaves valuables/handbags on display in a car. No, it's not nice to have your car broken into, but it happens, and leaving someone valuable on display is only tempting fate. People have to realise that crime is increasing, and no one is safe. Prevention is better than cure!!!
    You've completely alienated the average dog owner. Its one thing to encourage others to chip their dogs a completely different thing to declare no sympathy to ones who've had their dogs stolen. And to insinuate they didn't care about their dogs!

I understand dogs should be chipped, but that never excuses people stealing or the guards not being proactive. These are family members to most not cars or jewellery. I'd rather my car be stolen than my dog.

But if a pr*ck wants a dog unless one is very proactive or lucky theirs not much one can do. No dogs are robbed near me thank god. I've my side gates locked and sensor lights let me know where my dog is. But in the end its luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

my neighbour had awful trouble with undesirables breaking into an unnocupied house he had, in desperation he demolished it and cleared the site totally left nothing.
    They came back over the weekend and stole the gates.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    my neighbour had awful trouble with undesirables breaking into an unnocupied house he had, in desperation he demolished it and cleared the site totally left nothing.
    They came back over the weekend and stole the gates.

stolen gates = travellers.

Thanks for that. Just wish something could be done.

Trust me, me too, although you have to be very careful what you(general) write on here, I was trying to raise a similar issue but was shot down, we all know whos doing it.

Media999 wrote: »
    How do you actually know this?

Inside info to which I cannot divulge. Take that as you wish.
    HurtLocker wrote: »
    You've completely alienated the average dog owner. Its one thing to encourage others to chip their dogs a completely different thing to declare no sympathy to ones who've had their dogs stolen. And to insinuate they didn't care about their dogs!

I understand dogs should be chipped, but that never excuses people stealing or the guards not being proactive. These are family members to most not cars or jewellery. I'd rather my car be stolen than my dog.

I said i've no sympathy to those whose dog is stolen and they weren't chipped, not to everyone who has had a dog stolen.

And if someone loves their dog enough, should they not do everything possible to ensure the protection of that dog, including getting them chipped in case anything happens? Or can dogs always be found again on love alone? As i've said already, it's evidence, and without it proving ownership is extremely hard. Even if the dog has a certain trait, or a spot in X place, doesn't mean it's the only one. That is not proof. Proof is the chip. And if that's really the only proof, then the owners should have it if they love their dogs.

And i never said lack of chipping excuses the theft, but this is an argument that gets thrown about in every crime related topic, just because X wasn't done doesn't excuse the crime. Nothing excuses any crime, but being proactive in attempting to deter the crime, or having a backup should the crime occur is basic security that everyone should have. We would all love to be able to leave the front door open, or your car unlocked, but this is not the 90's or earlier. Crime is becoming more rampant, and no where is safe. People need to realise this, and start looking at what they can do to prevent, deter or assist in the detection of the crimes. And with a dwindling Garda force, and increased work load, any help is needed.

And that goes for every valuable item, alive or inanimate. Chipping dogs, serial numbers on bicycles/laptops/pc's, IMEI of phones, photographing expensive jewellery - people need to start recording this very basic, but crucial, information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I said i've no sympathy to those whose dog is stolen and they weren't chipped, not to everyone who has had a dog stolen.

And if someone loves their dog enough, should they not do everything possible to ensure the protection of that dog, including getting them chipped in case anything happens? Or can dogs always be found again on love alone? As i've said already, it's evidence, and without it proving ownership is extremely hard. Even if the dog has a certain trait, or a spot in X place, doesn't mean it's the only one. That is not proof. Proof is the chip. And if that's really the only proof, then the owners should have it if they love their dogs.

And i never said lack of chipping excuses the theft, but this is an argument that gets thrown about in every crime related topic, just because X wasn't done doesn't excuse the crime. Nothing excuses any crime, but being proactive in attempting to deter the crime, or having a backup should the crime occur is basic security that everyone should have. We would all love to be able to leave the front door open, or your car unlocked, but this is not the 90's or earlier. Crime is becoming more rampant, and no where is safe. People need to realise this, and start looking at what they can do to prevent, deter or assist in the detection of the crimes. And with a dwindling Garda force, and increased work load, any help is needed.

And that goes for every valuable item, alive or inanimate. Chipping dogs, serial numbers on bicycles/laptops/pc's, IMEI of phones, photographing expensive jewellery - people need to start recording this very basic, but crucial, information.
    I'm not arguing about the chip. I myself I'm in the process of chipping my mums dog because she didn't really know what they were about. But I very much doubt that when the chipping law comes in that these lower elements of society will cease to occur.

Lets take a car as an example. I worked in a place last Summer with Reps. So naturally alot of cars around. While a car was being serviced a man waked in and stole a car in line. Mistakes were made and have been learned from. The gardai were contacted. Given reg plate and car detail. Within 24 hours they got back to say finding the car is next to nil. Just 24 hours. This is a car with a reg plate stickered on the front and back. Certain brand and colour.

The car was found a week later and had been used to rob another car from a petrol station. That other car was later burned out. But heres the stinker. The reg plate hadn't been changed and was driven around the city for a whole week! Now if someone takes a dog chipped and tattooed the only way its coming back is if the person who taken it gives it up. Now take the resources Guards have on cars and compare that to what they put into looking for dogs.

Id view chips as more useful for lost dogs where the dog is way more likely to fall into good hands than stolen dogs.

The only way a dog thief would be caught is if he royally f*cks up or is caught in the act. Dog thieves really are the scum of society.

Hopefully soon there will be cheap GPS chips for dogs. But until then its really is luck. I have sympathy for everyone who has lost a dog,a family member, to these scum.

HurtLocker wrote: »
    I'm not arguing about the chip. I myself I'm in the process of chipping my mums dog because she didn't really know what they were about. But I very much doubt that when the chipping law comes in that these lower elements of society will cease to occur.

Lets take a car as an example. I worked in a place last Summer with Reps. So naturally alot of cars around. While a car was being serviced a man waked in and stole a car in line. Mistakes were made and have been learned from. The gardai were contacted. Given reg plate and car detail. Within 24 hours they got back to say finding the car is next to nil. Just 24 hours. This is a car with a reg plate stickered on the front and back. Certain brand and colour.

The car was found a week later and had been used to rob another car from a petrol station. That other car was later burned out. But heres the stinker. The reg plate hadn't been changed and was driven around the city for a whole week! Now if someone takes a dog chipped and tattooed the only way its coming back is if the person who taken it gives it up. Now take the resources Guards have on cars and compare that to what they put into looking for dogs.

Id view chips as more useful for lost dogs where the dog is way more likely to fall into good hands than stolen dogs.

The only way a dog thief would be caught is if he royally f*cks up or is caught in the act. Dog thieves really are the scum of society.

Hopefully soon there will be cheap GPS chips for dogs. But until then its really is luck. I have sympathy for everyone who has lost a dog,a family member, to these scum.

I was told by a vets assistant that the proffessional dog thieves nick the skin of the dogs and remove the chip and this can be easily done. They have the same handheld machines that the vets have, hone in on where the chip is located and remove it. Scandalous !

Advertisement