Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newgate Cant

Options
  • 20-05-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm looking for information on the Newgate Cant spoken around Dublin in the 18th & 19th Centuries.

I have only found a few poems of the period so far, but are there any books on the dialect? I know the Cant was not necessarily unique to Dublin but it's the Dublin variety I am looking to study.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 owen78702

I don't know the answer to that.

The song "The night before Larry was stretched" is written in newgate cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

owen78702 wrote: »
    I don't know the answer to that.

The song "The night before Larry was stretched" is written in newgate cant.
    No it is not. It is written in English, with a few cant words included. It also would at this remove be difficult to isolate Dublin Newgate cant from everyday slang of the period. I would guess that it was not dissimilar to the London cant words of the same era, but with a few local Irish idioms - e.g. cóta bán - thrown in. Words such as ‘Jack Ketch’ and the ‘dismal ditty’ were commonly used in Ireland just as they were in London.

Advertisement