Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Reign - Syndicate Wars "Spiritual Successor"?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It will depend on how close to the original they remain; if it's anything close to the original gameplay with research, squad base look down combat etc. I'll throw money at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Tried in Vain to get the Original Syndicate to run on Win 7, no luck, so this would be a welcome return.

Unless I can find a working 486 DX! Must have DX chip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

God damn it Kickstarter, can't you go just one month without showing me something I'll have to throw too much money at!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

platinums wrote: »
    Tried in Vain to get the Original Syndicate to run on Win 7, no luck, so this would be a welcome return.

Unless I can find a working 486 DX! Must have DX chip :)

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/syndicate

Gog is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The original was a masterpiece of gaming. I wonder if they can create perfection twice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Awesome!

Now we just need dungeon keeper back and we will be set!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sarky wrote: »
    God damn it Kickstarter, can't you go just one month without showing me something I'll have to throw too much money at!?
    Well with all MMOs going F2P we need to throw our monthly money at something else or we'd do something stupid like saving it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Bring on the Zealots!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

madrab wrote: »
    Awesome!

Now we just need dungeon keeper back and we will be set!

You need to see the previously successfully Kickstarted "War for the Overworld" which is exactly this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Bumping this as the kickstarter is in its last week. If you haven't backed it

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5livesstudios/satellite-reign

They still need more money to pass their goal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm surprised this hasn't got more support. Given it's name and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Yeah, and it's received decent coverage in the press too from what I've seen.

So much want! But still a fair bit from its goal. :(

Cheers for that; pledged it. With only 70k to go and a week to do it I'm feeling quite confident it will succeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've watched a fair few projects on Kickstarter and there's nearly always a last-day rush by backers. Campaigns usually start with an early influx of mass pledges, followed by a slow trickle over the course of the proceeding days, with the last 24 hours pushing projects over the line. I don't doubt Satellite Reign will be any different (at last glance, it's at 83% funding with 6 days to go).

Doesn't look like it'll hit many of its stretch goals, but going by precedent it should be ok. Stuff like the Veronica Mars movie or Double Fine's projects, which get backed within a day or so of the campaign launching, are the exception rather than the rule tbh...

I threw my backing behind it anyway - I would dearly love to play a Syndicate game in the HD era. The less said about that FPS 'reboot' the better (in fact, this game got started as a deliberate response to the EA reboot)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just pledged there. I remember discovering Syndicate back when I was about ten, pulled a sicky for about 4 days while I played through it!

Up to 340k out of 350k with four days to go so yes I'd say it will make it. Doubt it will hit to many of it's extra goals (I really wanted the 440k, 500k and 550k once) but they can hopefully release it as a DLC or something instead down the line!

gah, I'm totally broke and pay day is Friday, so I should get a chance to get a couple of sheckles in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nice little piece on Gamasutra about the Kickstarter campaign from Diskett.

A Letter from the trenches of a Kickstarter

gizmo wrote: »

That was a good read; esp. the expectations plummeting and the constant checking of status. I can recognise both of those feelings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Looks like this is about to tick over. Here's hoping for a final surge in the last few days so they can flesh it out some more.

gizmo wrote: »

I had thought they came on a bit strong all right, with maybe half as many updates in the first fortnight as I've got in total from games kickstarted months ago. Good sign that they'd become aware of it and resolve to change.

I do hope there's a massive surge in the closing days. Syndicate was simply amazing, easily on a par with Planescape. I want to set innocent civilians on fire to cause battlefield disruption again, damn it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

... and there it goes; 100% funded. 4 days to go so it'll probably hit the first stretch goal (bringing back the original composer of the Syndicate soundtrack), but I'd be surprised if they get anywhere near some of the loftier targets. Would love to see Environmental Destruction get in though ...

Hooray! Also balls, I pledged £80 that'll come out of the bank a week before payday!

They've just hit the first stretch goal anyway, so Russell Shaw, composer from Syndicate, will be joining the project.
    Hooray! Also balls, I pledged £80 that'll come out of the bank a week before payday!

Pretty generous of you! Ah sure, eating is overrated anyway ;):D

When there's a collector's edition or equivalent of a game I want, I make very poor financial decisions.

Well they are more then halfway through to localization (391k) so there's still hope for environmental destruction to be unlocked (esp. with the Paypal option coming as a way for people to fund after the end of Kickstarter).

Awesome, they got Russel Shaw on board. I adored the music in Syndicate Wars. Don't mind what other stretch goals they make or miss now, I'm happy out.

And we hit the second stretch goal; now if we can only get another 40k for environmental destruction... (oh and Paypal payment is up as an option for those who prefer that)

• Advertisement

I have given them 50 of my Earth Euros.

It dawned on me as I submitted that I spend more money on Kickstarter games than I do on "AAA" games as I now wait 2 months before I buy them new :)

Advertisement