Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current games that will be considered 'timeless'.

• 20-05-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

Thinking back over the current console generation were there many games released that you would consider to be timeless? Games that you can see yourself coming back to play in 5, 10 and 15 years time. A game like Super Mario World that is as good today as it was back when it first released. This isn’t necessarily a discussion on the best games of the past few years because you will find that they might not stand the test of time, when the technology will seem so outdated.

For me personally I would exclude any games that have a heavy reliance on being online. There is no guarantee that a game with an online community now will have a community in 15 years or even the ability for that game to go online. I also think that a lot of my current favourite games will be difficult to go back and play in the future. I’m thinking of games like Assassin’s Creed II or Brotherhood. While these games look amazing now and the game mechanics are sound I imagine I won’t think the same in years to come. I think the same will be said of the Mass Effect series too. Currently it looks and plays great but will date horribly. This also goes for all the open-world games I can think of.

With these considerations I find it really narrows down the choice of game that I think are timeless. One thing that would certainly help a game to be classed as such is a unique and interesting art style. Games eschewing a realistic look will age far better, just look at how good The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker looks today. So below are the games that I can think of right now.

Wipeout HD
    I prefer combat in my racing games so the Wipeout series has always been a favourite of mine. The mix of classic tracks and a lovely clean art style will make this game enjoyable to return to again and again. While the online component will likely be gone it is still fun to play against the AI.

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
    I debated about putting any 3D platformer on my list. When I go back and play a 3D platform game from the early 2000s I find them pretty rough. I could end up saying the same about todays 3D platform games. But I think this game might be an exception. The characters and humour in the story, the terrific variation in the gunplay and the big, bright and wonderful graphics are a powerful combination.

New Super Mario Bros Wii
    You might be surprised that I’m choosing this game over the Galaxy games but for me the 2D Mario games are better. This game played with 2/3/4 friends is one of the best gaming experiences you can have. While I’ve given out that it doesn’t have online multiplayer in the past, the local co-op will help it still be as fun well into the next decade.

Batman Arkham Asylum
    The game might look very dated graphically in time but I think the art style will hold up. I do know that the game itself will still be great fun to play. The game is so mechanically sound that I don’t think going back to it will feel that awkward.

That isn’t a lot of games so perhaps I’m being a bit too harsh on what I think makes a game timeless. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Portal 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

most likely the modern games that will still be around in 10 years time are the games that already look old school but have great gameplay are the Indie games such as Miami Hotline, FTL and Braid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think the cell shaded graphics in The Wind Waker have helped it hold up so well against the years, they are kinda timeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I agree about Wipeout. I would also add super stardust HD on there.

I think a lot of games will fall foul of the uncanny valley in a few years.....we will look back and the animation just doesn't hold up. Games such as Red Dead redemption, which is one of my standout open world games this gen, will been seen harshly in terms of facial animation whereas a Mario game won't.

I think some of the more focused indie games will hold onto their charm in years to come, Limbo or Journey come to mind in that way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This is a good question and one I've been thinking about and quite frankly I don't think a lot of current gen games will live up as timeless classics. The terrible framerate problems many games this gen have will probably age a lot of games like what happened with many PS1 and N64 games.

Have to disagree about Batman Arkham Asylum being up there. It's a fine game that does good things with the license but the many things it gets right (stealth combat, setting, metroidvania style progression) there's plenty that it does wrong (awful boss battles, dull hand to hand combat). It's enjoyable but I couldn't put it on a pedestal with the all time greats.

I'm not a fan of the Ratchet and Clank games so personally I wouldn't include them either. In terms of 3D platformers both Super Mario Galaxy games are probably the best example of the genre since Mario 64 and will be considered classics in time to come. Also I hope New Super Mario Bros Wii gets a lot more recognition because I found it to be one of the best designed platformers ever, far better than the boring DS game.

Other games I feel will be long remembered in the history books are:

Demon's/Dark Souls: The gameplay in this game won't ever age. The combat system is just perfect and the art is excellent.

Xenoblade: Being on the Wii it already looked dated but the story and combat system are top notch.

Bayonetta: Again it's all about the battle system which won't ever get old.

Uncharted 2: The best of the uncharted games. Even when this starts to look old I can still see it being a lot of fun.

Gears of War series: It's dumb but I think third person combat hasn't really been bettered.

Child of Eden: Rez is sill a belter and so will this be.

Street Fighter 4: Still a great fighter that just like the others in the series will still be played by people in years to come. You can add King of Fighters XIII as well.

Catherine: It's got a timeless visual style, the writing is excellent and the puzzle gameplay addictive. Those things never get old.

Journey: This game will still be blowing people away in 20 years

Bionic Commando Rearmed: The original is probably the best NES game ever made and the remake is even better.

Sin and Punishment 2: Again Wii games look old already but the gameplay in this shines.

Kirby's Epic Yarn: Despite being a Wii game the art is simply gorgeous and it's a great game.

Red Dead Redemption: I've kept this one last because I'm a bit iffy about it. I find open world games age really badly and the combat is a bit clunky. However the game nails the atmosphere of a very unique time period and has a pretty decent storyline so I think this one might manage to weather the passage of time better than the likes of Oblivion or GTA.

There's quite a few games as well that aren't quite perfect but I hope will be remembered and still enjoyed in years to come for all the unique things they achieve. Some of the B-tier games I see people enjoying years from now are Deadly Premonition, Fragile Dreams, Nier, Opoona and No More Heroes.

I won't even go into the PSP and DS because there's an absolute embarassment of riches in terms of games I'd count as timeless classics on those two systems. The same with indie gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

retro list pretty much nails it but i would include valkyria chronicles aswell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

retro list pretty much nails it but i would include valkyria chronicles aswell

I should be ashamed to forget that. Such a great game.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Valkyria Chronicles shouldn't be on the list, a decent game as it is with a very unique art style, the gameplay is let down by A.I which is poor, with enemies soldiers often running back and forth out of cover for no reason. It lacks depth as the A.I moves are pre-planned meaning replaying a mission over you know exactly whats coming. The story while having adult themes does the Japanese trick of having dialogue aimed at children.

Think you are being too harsh. The AI maybe dumb but then it's never really to the detriment of the gameplay, it still remains a hugely enjoyable experience. It's akin to saying Doom or Mario World are lacking due to dumb AI. If the AI was any better it could run the risk of becoming frustrating and unplayable. There's a balancing act there to good game design.

I'd also say the game is remarkably well written. I'd be more inclined to commend it since despite it being in the style of a (very good) saturday morning cartoon it still managed to convey the horrors of war and the concentration camps without changing tone or style. It's a very hard thing to pull off in writing and you only see adult themes explored in the best media aimed at kids, for example the better Pixar movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I love VC but I have to agree with Azza that the AI ruins the tactical element. For a strategy game it really lets it down but as a whole package (art, story, mechanics etc.) it's still a great game.

Back on topic - I suppose any game that doesn't rely on graphics can stand the test of time. The Fire Emblem series is testament to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

For me it has to be Spec Ops: The Line. Never wanted to talk to someone about a game so bad once I'd finished. Storyline was fantastic and how the characters evolved was brilliant. Didn't see the any of the twists coming and the gameplay wasn't bad either.

Don't think there will be another game like that for me for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I don't think that Red Dead Redemption will hold up all that well. It is an excellent game and the atmosphere is wholly immersive but even now the combat isn't all that fun. Developers can only improve on this in the years to come and it could mean going back to RDR would make it feel even more cumbersome and unplayable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Rayman Origins
    Sonic's All Star Racing Transformed
    Assassin's Creed 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I like seeing Spec Ops and Valkyria Chronicles. Two games I own and have yet to play over the summer. Good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'd argue that you'll find more digital downloads than boxed titles on a "timeless classic" list for this generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I can tell you, right now, Street Fighter 4 is not a timeless classic like Super SFII Turbo or SFIII: 3rd Strike.

The game is UGLY, the engine is frustrating as hell, and the damage in the first game is ridiculous.
    I'm thankful it existed to help reignite interest in 2D fighting games (which, contrary to some reports, NEVER DIED) but if I had a choice between it, and another round of ST or 3S (or even Guilty Gear XX)?
    No contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

The world ends with you
    Magical Starsign
    Pokemon in general
    Okamiden
    Golden Sun 1 & 2
    Final Fantasy Tactics

Are some great handheld games which I'd like to add to the list. Feel free to approve/disapprove

Advertisement