Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Powerscourt Season ticket

• 20-05-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭

hi,

I am considering of getting an annual membership to Powerscourt gardens and was wondering whether anyone here has had one, would you recommmend it, is it worth it etc?

We would need the family one as we are a couple with a small baby. I was there just yesterday and really love it and it's a regular feature when relatives visit from abroad. We don't exactly live nearby (Blackrock in Dublin), but it is easy enough to get there on the N11 or through Stepaside. Every weekend we go to one of the parks in South Dublin, and they are all lovely, but none has the magic of Powerscourt. So I am thinking if we get there once a month maybe then it's probably worth it, but it is sitll a lot of money obviously.

I am particularly intrigued by the River walk - is it really as nice as it is described?
    many thanks
    sf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

It all depends on you! We do not have the Powerscourt Pass but we have the Killruddery one. A number of parents have the Powerscourt one (we live in Bray) and renew it every year.

To add, they are mainly stay home parents with kids in the age group of of 5-12 and use the pass for play dates, days out with visitors, access to the waterfall (very nice playground) during the summer holidays and school breaks. One or two also do their kids parties on the river walk.

The river walk is nice and quite, a good flat road in parts (ideal for learning to ride a bike) but in the summer a heck load of midges once it cools down in the evening, but hey you are by a river. The actual plus is that once they come out, there is no argument about getting in the car and heading home!

Why not ask Powerscourt for a look see on the river walk? I cannot speak for Powerscourt but in Killruddery if you go in for the day and decide that you would like to pass, they give you credit for the money you have spent already.

PS if you have not gone to Killruddery, well you should!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

Agreed with Wally, our Killruddery pass is expiring next week and we already ordered a new one.

We find Killruderry better because there is less people and we can let out children (one is 7 other 10) go about by themselves while we relax at the tearoom.

Of course, Powerscourt offer much more but also charges more, so it all depends on what you are after...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

brilliant, thanks, I will follow it up with Powerscourt re having a peek at the River Walk. It sounds quite promising that people keep on coming back year after year - but might be wiser for us to wait a bit longer till the little man can walk properly.

And I am really glad I started this thread, otherwise I would have not heard of Killruddery (believe it or not)! I think visiting it will be the aim for next weekend - looks gorgeous!

I suspect (having had peak at your profile) that your little man is still in a buggy and nappies? So you should consider that by doing the river walk you can park up the car, decamp and have access to all your bits and bobs within feet of you. In Killruddery, your car will not be as close but the coffee shop and facilities will.

On the bigger plus side, there is a very good 5/10/15 k loop in Killruddery and of course this and these!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

Also Killruderry is having farmer's market every Saturday. It's outside the main garden so you don't need to pay to go there, and the food is really nice... Well we haven't eaten anywhere else on Saturdays for weeks now...

• Advertisement

Wally Runs wrote: »
    I suspect (having had peak at your profile) that your little man is still in a buggy and nappies? So you should consider that by doing the river walk you can park up the car, decamp and have access to all your bits and bobs within feet of you. In Killruddery, your car will not be as close but the coffee shop and facilities will.

On the bigger plus side, there is a very good 5/10/15 k loop in Killruddery and of course this and these!
    oh I am not that worried about his nappies etc - I can pack everything needed in a small backpack. I also quite like carrying him in a sling. Good news about the loop - will have to check it out when visiting hopefully this weekend.

antoniolgj wrote: »
    Also Killruderry is having farmer's market every Saturday. It's outside the main garden so you don't need to pay to go there, and the food is really nice... Well we haven't eaten anywhere else on Saturdays for weeks now...

had a look at their page - sounds / looks very nice! so guess we should go on Sat.

thanks a mill

hi antoniolgj and Wally Runs,

thanks again for recommending Killruddery, we went there today and really enjoyed our visit. The market is great, had a light lunch and I am quite keen on a few things that might get there in the future. The park is brilliant- so nice and has such a relaxing atmosphere, and has everything we need. We came home all chilled out! And we really liked the people around us - even my husband, who can be a bit of misanthrope at times had a really good time.
    so... we are thinking of getting the membership (have sobered up about Powerscourt for now) but I am just a bit confused about their opening times: it looks as if the place was closed down between November and March? the other thing I was wondering about, when they have programmes in the Gardens such as the Enchanted Gardens, do members can only enter upon paying the additional fees?

sorry I know I can call them and ask these questions - I have mostly just wanted to thank you both and share the excitement! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Yes it is only open during the 'Summer'/Tourist Season but if you buy your membership now, it doesn't expire at the end of the season, it would be valid until this time next year.
    We went to The Teddy's Bears Picnic and it cost no extra.
    But the Enchanted Garden is such an extravanganza that you do pay, but get 10 per cent discount for being a member.
    http://www.killruddery.com/whats-on/the-enchanted-garden-2013/
    and it is quite reasonable for what it is.
    I notice it getting more popular, particularly this season. We used be rattling round there not so long ago ;) with not so many other visitors. Glad people like yourself are discovering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Another good place for a walk is the garden centre in kilquade as the exhibition gardens are now free to visit. might suite the older person as it is on the flat;). There is also a restaurant on site . Have no connection with them:).

• Advertisement

scaryfairy wrote: »
    hi antoniolgj and Wally Runs,

but I am just a bit confused about their opening times: it looks as if the place was closed down between November and March?

To add, the Gardens close but by and large the grounds are open all year round (excluding the shooting season). Glad you enjoyed it. I can really recommend the enchanted garden, especially the open air disco! If you do get a season ticket be sure to make yourself known to staff as they have all the information you need (I am not one) and are always happy to help.

Wally.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I got a family season ticket as I thought I would bring visiting relatives etc but the pass only covers your own family, named on your registration-other relatives friends have to pay and its not cheap so we've only used it a few times ourselves. It's good if you go to the waterfall as that has ridiculous entry fees (but it can get so packed and the traffic queues to get in can be off putting). I like the riverwalk but the walk in from the gate to the main house/Avoca shops is also lovely, and free, so until your little one is riding a bike or running around I don't know that its worth the money when you can walk around Powerscourt for free. On a sunny day you can have a coffee on the Avoca terrace and enjoy the view of the gardens too.....all without the season pass.

Have never been to Kilruddery(the shame of it!!) but plan on paying it a visit now : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CarmelByrne

Good afternoon all,
    I hope you don't mind my posting a reply on this thread. I work here at Powerscourt so you may consider me rather biased in my opinions:) On a personal level I feel the annual membership at Powerscourt is well worth it as it covers the gardens (all 47 acres), the riverwalk (which I walk every lunchtime and think it's wonderful) and of course the added bonus of the waterfall, so you are never going to get bored! I love the gardens, the views, the flowers, the trees - there are all wonderful but my kiddies don't take notice of the things I like, they love climbing the Pepperpot Tower, exploring the little bridges and waterways in the Japanese Garden and reading the funny names on the headstones in the Pets' Cemetery, so look at it from a family point of view. The riverwalk is great for cycling, walking and picnics and I am sure the kiddies would love the horses! And the Waterfall is great for the playground and the trails and not to mention water - my two seem to be drawn to water, no matter where we go I have to bring a change of clothes:)
    It is also open year round apart from Christmas & St. Stephen's day, so I think it's well worth it!
    PS the waterfall closes 2 weeks prior to Christmas:)

thanks for all the responses - we have taken out membership to Killruddery gardens. I know our little boy cannot fully appreciate all it has to offer to kids, but very soon he will (just turned 8 months) and he can already crawl around the grass or hang out with (on) us in his carrier.
    It's a really great place, and turns out that friends of ours, another couple with a baby has just discovered it too, so hoping to be able to bring them with us once in a while.

I think we might consider Powerscourt again, once I return to work and bring some cash home! I am completely in love with the gardens and pretty sure would be charmed by the river walk but for now we will just enjoy Killr.:)

Advertisement