Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of river

• 20-05-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭

I grew up in Lakelands in Kilmacud-there used to be a small stream/river which ran from where the industrial estate is, under the Luas line and alongside the Lakelands/Benildus boundry before disappearing undergroung at Benildus, does anyone know the name of this stream and is it still there or has it been submerged?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭francois

Thanks, but I tried there, no luck I thought it was the Carysfort-Maretimo Stream but that passes further east by the resevoir

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You could also look here at the historic maps of the area

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0,10

menu on bottom right should get something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Have a look at http://www.stbrigids300.com/history-of-the-st-brigids-and-stilorgan.html and download the doc:

Some hopefully relevant quotes:

"Daly’s move into Kilmacud House (Kilmacud stream becomes known as Daly’s River). (Think this is the Kilmacud stream which may originally have been the Leper River and Glaslower stream)."

"The Kilmacud Stream which rose at the former lakes of Lakelands was put in culvert for its total length as far as the Glaslower."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

btw I think the Glaslower Stream is an alternative name for Carysfort-Maretimo Stream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

This is a nice book about the streams and rivers around Dun Laoghaire that were often culverted and hidden by past generations.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1856079503

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I have a copy of Hidden Streams - the book linked above. According to the map the stream in Lakelands (Kilmacud Stream) joins the Brewery Stream and becomes the Glaslower/Maretimo stream somewhere in Stillorgan. It's not easy to work out exactly where from the map in the book but it *looks* to be in the region of Stillorgan Park.

I looked at the route it took using the 25" maps on osi.ie. It's interesting - it looks like even back when the 25" maps were drawn up it was already a managed waterway as it's very, very straight for significant stretches and it looks to be culverted or otherwise disappear underground here - http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,720376,728077,7,9 - right under "Apts 1-6" on Stillorgan Park Avenue on the current maps. I can't see where it re-appears so my guess is that it would have joined the Glaslower/Maretimo somewhere in the region of Orpen.

Dang, the memories are flooding back. I was tracing the route on the map just now and I realised that it passes through the grounds of St Laurences national school - I remember playing in/around the grating covering the river when I was at school there many, many, many years
    ago. I don't remember much from then, but I definitely remember something about the grate there - maybe I went exploring down there.

The route would have been essentially along the route of Lower Kilmacud Road, but offset a little to the 'hill' side. It went through the school grounds, along by the shops (Mill House - get it?), along by the shopping centre overflow carpark, through the edge of Kilmacud Crokes, through the carpark of "the Plaza"/Lidl, beside Esmonde Motors, and then it just vanishes around about Stillorgan Park Avenue.

Going back uphill towards Lakelands you can see the route today as a series of unbuilt straight line stretches in some areas between the back gardens of houses. I'm not familiar with that area - it's possible these stretches are now back lane access to the gardens. It runs along the line of the back gardens of houses on Rathmore Avenue

A spring for the river appears to be under 56 Lakelands Avenue. I hope they have good waterproofing. There's also some indicators of a stream further uphill again as far as Moreen Avenue on the 25" map, but not on the 6"

Page 146 says "The Kilmacud Stream, which originated in the former lakes of Lakelands, was also a casualty, as it was placed in a culvert for its total length as far as the Glaslower at Stillorgan."

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I know that stream from my days at Benildus. It marked the boundary between the Sandyford industrial estate and the sports fields. It then went under the old railway line (now the luas) and run straight down the side of the far sports field before diving underground at a housing estate. One year in the early 80's there was a lot of rain, the stream flooded and debris at the grate where it went under the estate blocked the flow flooding a corner of the field. I once followed it upstream near to where the current M50 now runs. Brings back a lot of memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

I remember part of it ...now covered over

It ran down Rathmore Avenue at the end of the back gardens on the east side,crossed annville drive at the the sides of the 2 end houses ( near green at Rathmore Avenue )
    It then turned right and ran the length of the back of the odd numbered houses in Annville drive along the lane (North end of Annville drive ),and then turned left with the lane, and under the road joining Sliave Rua to Dale ( Drive?) It ran beside the last house in Dale (Drive) Hayes house..cant remember where it went from there,but somewhere near lower Kilmacud road,( thinkit might have run at back of Dale (drive?) too

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deighric

In Stillorgan there are five arches which are said to be centuries old. they are built over a small stream between Stillorgan school and Stillorgan village, the stream is now overgrown with weeds and briars. It is said that one time it was the most beautiful stream in the south Co. Dublin owned by a lord whose name is not known. It is said that he had these arches as ornaments and that he used to have boats on the stream. There is also a little island in the centre of the stream near the chaple. It is almost circular in shape, it is said that at one time it was an ornamental island covered with flowers and fancy trees but now it is in a sad state it is over-gown with weeds of every description.

duchas.ie/ga/cbes/4428233/4387398

maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,719708,727954,11,9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Advertisement