Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Market has gone mad in Dublin' Any truth?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd love to know what age group. I'm from the area, left school 10 years ago.

I left in 98. So 5 years ahead if you . Most of my friends are accountants , doctors, Solicitors, engineers, software developers, , Network guys., etc

You'll be surprised what your friends will be on in 5 years, currently there juniors they'll be seniors and a few partners within 5 years.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

ted1 wrote: »
    I left in 98. So 5 years ahead if you . Most of my friends are accountants , doctors, Solicitors, engineers, software developers, , Network guys., etc

You'll be surprised what your friends will be on in 5 years, currently there juniors they'll be seniors and a few partners within 5 years.,

Which aspect of "less than 5%" are you having trouble with?

Which aspect of "less than 5%" are you having trouble with?

What 5% are you talking about, aim to be an underachiever if you want to be.
    But I'm talking to a fellow alumni here who would have a similar background to my peers and would be well capable of being in a peer group who demand wages of 70k+ .

How was your 5% basis found? Does it include people with no junior cert? Does it include those with no leaving cert? Those with no skills and an inability to work. Lets see what the percentage raises to when you just include the ABC demographic. After all these are the ones who are buying and selling houses, we all know stats are skewed and only relevant when applied correctly.
    So if your going to come back with stats and figures please make them relevant and in context with the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ah come on Ted, 95% of the workforce are not underachievers!!

But I'm talking to a fellow alumni here who would have a similar background to my peers and would be well capable of being in a peer group who demand wages of 70k+ .

That would be the 5% stat brought up in specific response to your earlier appearance in the thread. And I'm still unconvinced that your peer group earn anywhere near a median of 70k. And what on earth does my level of achievement have to do with house prices?

• Advertisement

How was your 5% basis found? Does it include people with no junior cert? Does it include those with no leaving cert? Those with no skills and an inability to work. Lets see what the percentage raises to when you just include the ABC demographic. After all these are the ones who are buying and selling houses, we all know stats are skewed and only relevant when applied correctly.
    So if your going to come back with stats and figures please make them relevant and in context with the conversation.

BREAKING: people outside the ABC demographic don't actually live anywhere.

gurramok wrote: »
    Ah come on Ted, 95% of the workforce are not underachievers!!

Your right not 95% but a good deal of people are, some are lazy , some simply don't aspire to better themselves, some don't realise that they can achieve more. I was talking to someone working in a shop the other day who aspired to be a shop manager , o asked them why not a area manager or even open there own, there answer was that they didn't think they could.

BREAKING: people outside the ABC demographic don't actually live anywhere.

A vast majority of them are in council houses or simple not in the market.

A vast majority of them are in council houses or simple not in the market.

Okay: you're a troll. Nobody is really this crassly ignorant.

Okay: you're a troll. Nobody is really this crassly ignorant.

It's fact. Your the ignorant one. Your blind to whats going on the economy and can't believe professionals in the thirties are getting 70k+ wages.

Look up the 2013 salary survey. http://www.brightwater.ie/documents/brightwater_salary_surveys_ROI_2013.pdf

Plenty of jobs there for people on the 30s to get good salaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

It's fact. Your the ignorant one. Your blind to whats going on the economy and can't believe professionals in the thirties are getting 70k+ wages.

Look up the 2013 salary survey. http://www.brightwater.ie/documents/brightwater_salary_surveys_ROI_2013.pdf

Plenty of jobs there for people on the 30s to get good salaries.

I'd consider 70 to be around average for a decent professional, plenty of people in their 30's earning three four times that.

30k - 35k to me is what you pay a graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Ted the vast majority of the legal profession are not on €70K+. I don't know where the figures for that report are taken from but the retail figures, an industry with which I am particularly familiar, with are around 33% too high.

I think there are one or two people on this thread a little out of touch with reality. My wife works with one particular guy who has the same affliction so you are far from alone to be fair.

I find the insinuation that people earning under €70K to be under achievers to be arrogant to say the least.

Interesting, I'd say some of the IT salaries ar too low, there's some at 40-60 when I know that these pay more in the 50-70 range, again depends on the company you work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

The Spider wrote: »
    I'd consider 70 to be around average for a decent professional, plenty of people in their 30's earning three four times that.

30k - 35k to me is what you pay a graduate.

This is a Troll comment.

Average Graduate role ranges from 20k to about 26k. Some places in the boom used to offer 30k but I'd say most place would offer 24k

People I know in one of the top 4 tech firms with 5-8 years experience would be on 50-7ok for a software related non-manager level role.

lima wrote: »
    This is a Troll comment.

Average Graduate role ranges from 20k to about 26k. Some places in the boom used to offer 30k but I'd say most place would offer 24k

People I know in one of the top 4 tech firms with 5-8 years experience would be on 50-7ok for a software related non-manager level role.

Anyway, as an example, I have large savings and mortgage approval but I have been waiting it out since January last and I feel I won't start seriously looking again until next year, when the repo's start kicking in.

As a successful northsider (middle-class northside), I have no interest in south dublin so couldn't case less for it, whether it goes up or down, but based on my lifestyle I would be looking for city centre or inner-suburb, however a lot of these properties are 2nd properties, some of which will start to get repossessed by the banks and put back on the market. Therefore in my particular situation I am best waiting on the fence.

Again, I would be mid-30's in the 50-70k bracket with 80k savings but I still firmly believe house prices in Dublin are way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Agree with this, lived in Clontarf loved it, however in all the time I lived in Dublin it was also the one place that my car got broken into.
    From speaking to several acquaintances living off Sandford Road, the combination of a large number of pubs, a comparatively high student rental population in parts of D6, and lack of off-street parking for most redbricks leads to frequent incidents of low-level vandalism of cars in Ranelagh. Probably less of an issue if you're away from the triangle, like Park Drive.
    Also to get to Clontarf you have to go through some dodgy areas, same can't be said of heading to Ranelagh.
    Never walked from Harcourt St to Ranelagh via Charlemont flats or Mount Pleasant? Different story if you're coming from Donnybrook or Clonskeagh obviously.

This is a Troll comment.

It's not a troll comment I know for a fact that graduates where I work get paid 30k plus, largish IT company, can't speak for other sectors.

Caveat is we're very fussy about who we hire.

From speaking to several acquaintances living off Sandford Road, the combination of a large number of pubs, a comparatively high student rental population in parts of D6, and lack of off-street parking for most redbricks leads to frequent incidents of low-level vandalism of cars in Ranelagh. Probably less of an issue if you're away from the triangle, like Park Drive.

Never walked from Harcourt St to Ranelagh via Charlemont flats or Mount Pleasant? Different story if you're coming from Donnybrook or Clonskeagh obviously.

Certainly have I lived in Rathmines for years and Ranelagh for a year, and I'd certainly prefer that walk home, rather than up Amiens street and North Strand, I've done both and I can tell you there's no comparison.

This is a Troll comment.

So people in early to mid thirties would have 10 + years experience and be on more which backs up my point.

Except for the fact that less than 5% of households earn that much.

• Advertisement

So people in early to mid thirties would have 10 + years experience and be on more which backs up my point.

It's not the public sector, you are not entitled to pay rises just because of length of time. There comes a time where you reach a level where you might only get 1-2% rise per year for 4 years, so someone with 6 years experience will be on roughly the same as someone with 10 years experience.

Each sector is different but thats my exp in tech

It's not a troll comment I know for a fact that graduates where I work get paid 30k plus, largish IT company, can't speak for other sectors.

Caveat is we're very fussy about who we hire.

30 is very good for grads, especially in this climate. I would guess it's Deloitte or Accenture etc. and yeah I've heard they are fussy

Whilst they may be classed as tech, the other end is the small Irish tech start-ups who hire grads at 23k

It's not the public sector, you are not entitled to pay rises just because of length of time. There comes a time where you reach a level where you might only get 1-2% rise per year for 4 years, so someone with 6 years experience will be on roughly the same as someone with 10 years experience.

Each sector is different but thats my exp in tech

Well I think this applies everywhere, or else we'd all be earning millions, you can reach a maximum amount of pay for your role and unless you get promoted your raises could well be in the 2% area, however that rule doesn't apply to bonuses and that's where you get a bit've a chunk.

But the fact is, there are a lot of people earning 60-70 plus a year.

30 is very good for grads, especially in this climate. I would guess it's Deloitte or Accenture etc. and yeah I've heard they are fussy

Whilst they may be classed as tech, the other end is the small Irish tech start-ups who hire grads at 23k

Neither of those companies, wouldn't be anywhere near their size, but a lot bigger than average.

Thing is you will always pay for the right people, even graduates with potential, don't get me wrong for those guys to be chosen, they were probably in the top 5 percent of their class.

Well I think this applies everywhere, or else we'd all be earning millions, you can reach a maximum amount of pay for your role and unless you get promoted your raises could well be in the 2% area, however that rule doesn't apply to bonuses and that's where you get a bit've a chunk.

But the fact is, there are a lot of people earning 60-70 plus a year.

No, there aren't. Less than 5% of the population live in households earning 140k or more, and that group skews older than the average.

No, there aren't. Less than 5% of the population live in households earning 140k or more, and that group skews older than the average.

Yeah fine the population of the country, so what? we're talking about Dublin and more specifically SCD the people living or aspiring to live there are on what you would see as pretty good money.

The vast majority will have a third level degree, and will be a professional.

Again another survey, take a look and see what the salaries are.

http://www.irishjobs.ie/careeradvice/salaries.aspx

These areas will be hoovered up by professionals simple as, and their household income is probably around the 120 mark and above.

I really would struggle to think of anyone I know earning less than 40k who would be classed as professional, the ones who are earning 40k don't work a full year, probably contract for about six months and take the rest off, which suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Your right not 95% but a good deal of people are, some are lazy , some simply don't aspire to better themselves, some don't realise that they can achieve more. I was talking to someone working in a shop the other day who aspired to be a shop manager , o asked them why not a area manager or even open there own, there answer was that they didn't think they could.

Why do I get the feeling I have sat near you at a Connacht Leinster rugby match ?
    Maybe it was not you, but one of your 70k plus circle ?

They may be fussy at hiring, but from experience of working with some of those companies personnel out in the real world they are nothing to write home about.

Anyway back on topic no matter how some may swing it, there aren't enough guaranteed high earners anymore and there isn't enough lending to cause a recovery in the number of transactions (which is true definition of a healthy property market) or anything bar a meagre price rise in very select areas for very select types of properties.

Thus the Irish property market has and is not recovering.

I am not allowed discuss …

The thread is about the housing market in Dublin going mad, how is driving the market in Dublin, who is even in the market in Dublin?
    ABC earners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

This thread is about Dublin, I would reckon that the number in Dublin won't have fallen as much. Any of you CSO fans got the figures?

Do you?
    You're the one making outlandish claims so the onus is on you to back them up, not us.

Oh and while we're at it, if your trolling is so weak that even a nice forum like boards is laughing at you, you probably need to rethink your strategy.

• Advertisement

The thread is about the housing market in Dublin going mad, how is driving the market in Dublin, who is even in the market in Dublin?
    ABC earners

Where is this evidence of Dublin being so madly different? The housing market in Dublin comprises houses that will be either sold or rented to people, most of whom are not in the ABC bracket. In fact, if the market is so choked that the only real movement is among the top 5% of earners, that should be setting off alarm bells about the probability of a second major crash. The housing market in Dublin is almost completely seized up; the number of transactions is somewhere under 10% of the number at the peak, and the majority of the city's population remains priced out. When sales numbers pick up off the floor (there were two thousand mortgages approved in the whole country in the first quarter of this year), then we can talk about a recovery.

Advertisement