Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van Insurance for under 25

Options
  • 20-05-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I am 22 and trying to get insured on a van under my fathers name.

Rang Allianz (his current insurer) they told him they would not insure me commercially until I was over 25 on a van.

My father also rang chill insurance and they told him no one would insure me unless we wanted to fork out a large sum for cover.

I understand the reasons why for but I am asking does anyone know any legal ways around it or insurers they had good luck with in the past with this kind of situation?

Van is a 1.9 Citroen Berlingo.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Have you tried getting a quote for a private policy on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Does your father have a business. I think alot of allianz commerical insurance is for businesses that could be where you are running into bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

Setanta used to be good, Im with them since I was 18 now 23 but this year my insurance has gone up near 600 for no reason so they could be deciding against young people again, but its worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Spugg07

@cheensbo No I havent, It is legal to do so? Like do you have to change the vehicle classification tax wise? Sorry im not too familiar with this situation.

@Bpmull No he has not, retired. I work for a warehouse depot, dont think they would let me insure under there name, plus I would probably need special training, what do you think?

@db330 Yea I will check them out, thanks for the tip. Also were you provisional at the time of insuring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Spugg07 wrote: »
    @cheensbo No I havent, It is legal to do so? Like do you have to change the vehicle classification tax wise? Sorry im not too familiar with this situation.

Tis indeed, I had a commercial insured privately and taxed commercially for a good while, many more do too.

Depends on circumstances though, what will you be using the van for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

Spugg07 wrote: »

@db330 Yea I will check them out, thanks for the tip. Also were you provisional at the time of insuring?

No I was fully licensed then, but ours was 3.2 4x4 so should have been even more than a 1.9 van. But they are worth a shot,

And possibly using a broker could be easier, a lot of commercial policies would be done through a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Spugg07

@cheensbo So it would be ok to insure a van privately and then tax it as the commercial tax, no problem from the gardai? Aye I was thinking ive seen plenty of lads my age in vans.

A question would be what would be an ideal circumstance to say? haha Really though id be using it for hauling around stuff when id be moving, hauling DJ equipment and a few trips out to the bog for turf. Just handy to have a van as you know yourself.

@db330 Jeez thats fair bit of power, aye by the sounds of it, it would.

Theres a broker close to me for setanta, would I better off calling in in person or woud a phone call be ok do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Check out insuremyvan.ie they'll find you a quote.

Advertisement